• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Carrey denounces Kick *spoon* 2

63 posts in this topic

I couldn't care less about the substance of his statement, but I think it's commendable that he at least takes a stand to defend his beliefs.

How is it taking a stand if he doesn't put his money where his mouth is?

Knowing Hollywood, odds are he changed agents or something and the first thing they said is, "Boy, you've been on a losing streak. Let's find a reason to denounce this last movie you weren't even the star of, get a PR campaign to raise your profile and try and get you some BIG money projects."

If money is all that matters, not promoting the movie still will have an adverse effect on him. Carrey's taken some odd compensation packages before. Further, since he's no longer considered a huge box office draw it's entirely plausible that his Kick- 2 contract has a significant take on the back-end. What's more, it's not uncommon at all for most contracts to give the actors some back-end take so there's an added incentive for promotional work (note, through all this there's yet to be an issue of contract breach; rarely is promotional work compulsory, the actors' incentive is the box-office).

I couldn't care less about the substance of his statement, but I think it's commendable that he at least takes a stand to defend his beliefs.

Um...you DO realize that actors READ the scripts BEFORE they film the movies, don't you...?

Where was his "stand" when he accepted the role...?

meh

Quote from Roger Ebert

"Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. "Wouldn't you say," she asked, "that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?" No, I said, I wouldn't say that. "But what about 'Basketball Diaries'?" she asked. "Doesn't that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?" The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it's unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. "Events like this," I said, "if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn't have messed with me. I'll go out in a blaze of glory."

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of "explaining" them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy."

^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn't have messed with me. I'll go out in a blaze of glory."

The reporter [sic] had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. "Wouldn't you say," she asked, "that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading_question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_bias

:eyeroll:

Jim Carrey is a doosh. He hasn't made a funny movie since Ace Ventura, wherein his comedic genius was expressed through his anal pantomime.

He was marching next to the playboy model, every other week, for Autism, now not so much. He loved Kick As until Newton? What a spineless phony.

What the, Mike and I agreeing on something. I thought the full moon was a few days ago, crazy. In any event well said.

Quote from Roger Ebert

"Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. "Wouldn't you say," she asked, "that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?" No, I said, I wouldn't say that. "But what about 'Basketball Diaries'?" she asked. "Doesn't that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?" The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it's unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. "Events like this," I said, "if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn't have messed with me. I'll go out in a blaze of glory."

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of "explaining" them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy."

Those are some very wise words by the late Mr. Ebert.

Quote from Roger Ebert

+1 :applause:

jim who?

I thought he died, oh wait, that was his career

anyone wanting to discuss violence or gun control or anything else, just add me as a facebook friend, we cant do that on here.

Quote from Roger Ebert

+1 :applause:

WOW, I had no idea Ebert was that smart a man, and that is NOT sarcasm, what he said there is the absolute truth.

This is one of the best threads I've read in CG in a long time.

I'm surprised the button-humpers haven't gotten it removed yet...., :think:

This is one of the best threads I've read in CG in a long time.

I'm surprised the button-humpers haven't gotten it removed yet...., :think:

Well, it has had an excision already, I can tell you that. I had a post in here that isn't anymore.

:/

-slym

I am not trying to be a dweeb but I rented KICK*SPOON* on dvd and only made it through the first half. Not because of violence (SIN CITY, RESERVOIR DOGS are great faves of mine) but just for what seemed to be poor story telling and character development.