• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a 9.6 so bad?

144 posts in this topic

How many times did you send in a modern (2011 or newer) book with the hopes it got a 9.6?

touché

My point is that a 9.6 is nearly a 9.8 with a few (almost imperceivable) imperfections.

Case and point...

I bought this YTLM two months ago for $160. In 9.8 it's a $400-$500 book. Granted, I'd love a 9.8 (we all love 9.8's), but I'll take my $240+ from having a non-9.8 and buy something else. Once again, it comes down to priorities and preferences.

I think since most books are subbed with the hopes of a 9.8, the initial reaction of 'negativity' starts there when it doesn't come back as one. I've seen some insane 9.6s and some ugly 9.8s.

Of course, owning a 9.4 or a 9.6 of a certain book is a win for some collectors. I think a solid 9.4/9.6 in a mylar is a great book to own and in most cases can be had for cheaper than the 9.4/9.6 graded copy.

Speaking of mylars.

I used to only want slabbed books that I was going to keep in my collection.

My 1st order from DCBS was kind of small, so I had them shipped in Mylite2/Fullbacks.

Boy did my attitude change when I saw those moderns in those bags. I took most of the order out and put some books from my collection in those bags and they are beautiful. Saved me from stabbing a few books that didn't really need stabbing.

Marge: Am I 9.8, kids?

Bart and Lisa: No.

Marge: Good. I'm glad. And that's what makes me 9.8: not caring, right?

Bart and Lisa: No.

Marge: Well, how the hell do you be 9.8? I feel like we've tried everything here.

Homer: Wait, Marge. Maybe if you're truly 9.8, you don't need CGC to tell you you're 9.8.

Bart: Well, sure you do.

Lisa: How else would you know?

I like CGC but for my PC, I prefer sharp raw copies, but I may just be crazy :insane:

Collect what you want, but be willing to accept that the market may not agree with you. On brand new moderns, 9.6's competitor is not just the 9.8, it is also the raw copy. Most people prefer 9.8 in moderns because there are so many out there, if it's less than 9.8 you might as well have a raw copy. Contrary to what many believe, there is a difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6. I know CGC’s detractors will point out that they don’t always get it right (I have seen examples), but in my experience, upon close inspection, slabbed 9.8’s look better than slabbed 9.6’s. (shrug) CGC does actually grade these things, most of the chirpings to the contrary are sour grapes.

Saved me from stabbing a few books that didn't really need stabbing.
:o

Oops. That sounds cooler though. Think ill leave it. :devil:

Ah; So you're the guy on eBay who advertises VF- books as 'NM - CGC Stab worthy' :baiting:

When you have a 9.4 or 9.6 in your collection, you are always on the lookout for an upgrade. Save the time, effort, and sometimes money and just get the 9.8 to start with and move on to the next book you need. And yes, I mean save the money-- if you start with a 9.2 or 9.4, then up it to a 9.6, then a 9.8, you would probably spent less money (between shipping, the book costs, and your time- which should be worth something) to just get the 9.8 and be done!

I agree my pc books are all high grade raws. I actually like to read and look at one now and then, not just stare at the shiny plastic brick of the front and back cover. Sometimes I wonder if this hobby is getting away from what the most important things about comic books 'The stories and artwork inside and out"

I agree my pc books are all high grade raws. I actually like to read and look at one now and then, not just stare at the shiny plastic brick of the front and back cover. Sometimes I wonder if this hobby is getting away from what the most important things about comic books 'The stories and artwork inside and out"

Good points. I try to have a reader of every slab I own. I don't have one for all my SA/BA books, but do for my moderns.

Just remember folks the comic book came before the CGC!

lol:applause:

I know we all buy into the highest grade possible is the best, but at the same time we're constantly told "buy the book, not the grade".... I've only recently experienced this.

I picked up a Daredevil #158 9.6 (Thanks Paul!) and I :luhv: it! I don't think I'll be upgrading. Sucks not having the Registry points if you truly get into the registry sets, but aside from that, I love this copy and will keep it for the long run...

Can I ask you guys a somewhat related (not really) question... what grades do you guys go for in older SA/BA books? Think an 8.0 is the equivalent for a Modern Age 9.8? Is this a doh! question? Just thought it was a good discussion and wanted to hijack it. :grin:

[Think an 8.0 is the equivalent for a Modern Age 9.8? Is this a doh! question?

No, but that's around where I put MY mark for a SA 9.8

Everyone has a different metric/preference, but a nice 8.0 is sweet to me from the SA.

I'm pretty far from a modern collector, but I do try for 9.8s when I buy them - mostly to protect resale value. "Buy the book, not the grade" doesn't seem to apply whatsoever to the Modern marketplace.

It seems that every Modern book comes out of the box as a 9.4 or 9.6, and hitting a bingo on a 9.8 is somewhat unique - and that comes with a price tag.

[Think an 8.0 is the equivalent for a Modern Age 9.8? Is this a doh! question?

No, but that's around where I put MY mark for a SA 9.8

Everyone has a different metric/preference, but a nice 8.0 is sweet to me from the SA.

Ok, sweet. :gossip: And I'm not referencing my DD #1 8.0. Just looking at a few SA for purchase and didn't know if that was a great grade point as a collector since most of my collection is Bronze Age or Modern Age which is all 9.6 or 9.8...

(shrug)