• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers are now using projected grades?

289 posts in this topic

Is this the place we can vent about some of the practices here on the boards? For some reason I feel the need to unburden myself.

Feel free to unleash. :popcorn:

OK, why do some sellers user numerical and letter grades in the same sales thread selling raw books?

One book will be listed as NM and the next will be listed at 9.4. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought those were the same???

I'm guilty as charged. I'm old so cut me some slack. :shrug: I understand 8.0 to 9.4 in numerical, but none of the rest of it, without extreme effort, as I don't really collect in grades below those. So I kind of mix stuff up depending on the range of books, and on how drunk I am when I'm grading, scanning and writing ad copy.

OK, why do some sellers user numerical and letter grades in the same sales thread selling raw books?

One book will be listed as NM and the next will be listed at 9.4. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought those were the same???

I used to list both, since some people are not familiar with the numerical grades.

But I guess an answer to your question could be: they are not able to associate any given grade to the numerical equivalent, so maybe they think 9.4 is better than NM? Could be.

Anyway, it’s easy:

9.2: NM-

9.4: NM

9.6: NM+

9.8: NM/M

9.9: M-

10: M! :D

I just always assumed that if they gave a numerical grade they were basically saying that's what they think the CGC grade would be. If they give a letter grade maybe they're not quite as sure.

Seems weird to me unless someone is offering some kind of guarantee on what CGC will grade a book at.

People have been using both scales since before CGC was ever around... :gossip:

;)

-slym

In the same sale? I'd never seen that before (shrug)

I just love it when people try to tell us what we should and should not discuss on the boards. lol

Quiet, jerk. Until I see proof of the Richie Rich tat on your tit, you have no credibility.

I used to list both, since some people are not familiar with the numerical grades.

But I guess an answer to your question could be: they are not able to associate any given grade to the numerical equivalent, so maybe they think 9.4 is better than NM? Could be.

Anyway, it’s easy:

I just always assumed that if they gave a numerical grade they were basically saying that's what they think the CGC grade would be. If they give a letter grade maybe they're not quite as sure.

Seems weird to me unless someone is offering some kind of guarantee on what CGC will grade a book at.

;)

-slym

6 = 1/2 dozen = 12/2 = no hidden messages.

Here is the "real" truth to pricing

Price the books so that both collectors/dealers can make money over time.

Price the books so that only upgraders can buy the books.

Price the books so that only the collector can buy the book.

Guess who makes the most sales at the show in the long run.

;)

I wasn't referring to "in the same sale," but what would it matter?

:shrug:

-slym

We don't need more rules....just more CG threads throwing sellers under the bus. :banana:
Most of them that are mentioned are already there.

I just love it when people try to tell us what we should and should not discuss on the boards. lol

Quiet, jerk. Until I see proof of the Richie Rich tat on your tit, you have no credibility.

:hi: Lizzie

;)

-slym

It doesn't really matter, I just find it an odd practice.

Isn't the point of the CGC to create an agreed upon grade? If I trust the seller's grading, why would I not be able to equate a gpa price and the price offered?
I sure as **** don't trust CGC. I have no prob buying a book for 1/2 GPA either in a slab or from someone I trust. I might even pay more from someone I trust. :think: I 've cracked out too many CGC books to view the glory beneath. :P

Anyway, it’s easy:

;)

-slym

You do realize i'm a nincompoop, right?

;)

-slym

I don't.

:baiting:

Is this the place we can vent about some of the practices here on the boards? For some reason I feel the need to unburden myself.

Feel free to unleash. :popcorn:

I'm guilty as charged. I'm old so cut me some slack. :shrug: I understand 8.0 to 9.4 in numerical, but none of the rest of it, without extreme effort, as I don't really collect in grades below those. So I kind of mix stuff up depending on the range of books, and on how drunk I am when I'm grading, scanning and writing ad copy.

Sell some bronze Marvel junk soon :wishluck:

;)

-slym

I don't.

OK, explain the difference (in your opinion) between a raw NM and 9.4 :taptaptap:

I'm okay with that :banana:

I'm buying less and less from these boards these days. I suspect its a trend that will continue.

You should be buying OA anyway. Comics suck!! :)

Actually, I'm buying 1950s Vintage Marx Playsets, and 1950-1970 Vegas publications.

The herd hasn't caught on to these yet.

You can't just make stuff up, then crow about how you're the only one collecting it!! lol

;)

-slym

I don't.

OK, explain the difference (in your opinion) between a raw NM and 9.4 :taptaptap:

Is this a trick question? ???

There is no practical difference. Two different ways of writing the same thing.

Much like "Casey" and "KC" are similar in practice.

lol

Anyway, it’s easy:

;)

-slym

lol

Here is the "real" truth to pricing

Price the books so that both collectors/dealers can make money over time.

Price the books so that only upgraders can buy the books.

Price the books so that only the collector can buy the book.

Guess who makes the most sales at the show in the long run.

I don't get it. :shrug: