• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers are now using projected grades?

289 posts in this topic

I just always assumed that if they gave a numerical grade they were basically saying that's what they think the CGC grade would be. If they give a letter grade maybe they're not quite as sure.

Seems weird to me unless someone is offering some kind of guarantee on what CGC will grade a book at.

People have been using both scales since before CGC was ever around... :gossip:

;)

In the same sale? I'd never seen that before (shrug)

I wasn't referring to "in the same sale," but what would it matter?

:shrug:

-slym

It doesn't really matter, I just find it an odd practice.

I don't.

:baiting:

OK, explain the difference (in your opinion) between a raw NM and 9.4 :taptaptap:

Is this a trick question? ???

There is no practical difference. Two different ways of writing the same thing.

Much like "Casey" and "KC" are similar in practice.

lol

So, why would someone use both grading designations when selling raw books in a sales thread? I'm just curious what the mindset is.

In my experience, KC is usually short for something, while Casey is normally a girls name :cry:

lol

They are not, however, the same in bed. :cool:

lol

They are not, however, the same in bed. :cool:

Whoa!

:blush:

So, why would someone use both grading designations when selling raw books in a sales thread? I'm just curious what the mindset is.

I think I sort of answered this already. Didn't the 10 point scale come out before CGC? I can't remember. OSPG even uses it, and they published grading guides using it.

To me, they are interchangeable, and the numerical system isn't just about CGC items.

In my experience, KC is usually short for something, while Casey is normally a girls name :cry:

There doesn't always have to be a reason, or at least a practical one.

Could just be a mistake, someone is disorganized, indecisive, whatever.

I've used both depending on my mood. To me they're interchangeable.

I wouldn't read anything into it. (shrug)

I just always assumed that if they gave a numerical grade they were basically saying that's what they think the CGC grade would be. If they give a letter grade maybe they're not quite as sure.

Seems weird to me unless someone is offering some kind of guarantee on what CGC will grade a book at.

;)

-slym

I don't.

OK, explain the difference (in your opinion) between a raw NM and 9.4 :taptaptap:

lol

You're seriously looking for a description of the mindset that would lead a person to use numerical shorthand in one post, and alpha in another? How about, they mean the same thing to that person (and the rest of us, including you)?

I concur

Oho, so now we have admitted drunken-grading on the boards! What button do I have to hump to notify the CGC police...

:insane: :lol: ;)

-slym

I grade better when I'm drunk :shrug:

More accurately, I can't stand the tediousness of grading unless I'm hosed, therefore, sober grading rarely occurs.

Analyze the results, not the process.

;)

-slym

I don't.

lol

You're seriously looking for a description of the mindset that would lead a person to use numerical shorthand in one post, and alpha in another? How about, they mean the same thing to that person (and the rest of us, including you)?

They should mean the same thing, but I find sometimes they always don't (shrug)

Here is the "real" truth to pricing

Price the books so that both collectors/dealers can make money over time.

Price the books so that only upgraders can buy the books.

Price the books so that only the collector can buy the book.

Guess who makes the most sales at the show in the long run.

I don't get it. :shrug:

:makepoint:

You're weird, you don't count :baiting:

;)

(thumbs u

-slym

Oho, so now we have admitted drunken-grading on the boards! What button do I have to hump to notify the CGC police...

:insane: :lol: ;)

I grade better when I'm drunk :shrug:

More accurately, I can't stand the tediousness of grading unless I'm hosed, therefore, sober grading rarely occurs.

Analyze the results, not the process.

I was kidding, pops.

;)

-slym

Here is the "real" truth to pricing

Price the books so that both collectors/dealers can make money over time.

Price the books so that only upgraders can buy the books.

Price the books so that only the collector can buy the book.

Guess who makes the most sales at the show in the long run.

I don't get it. :shrug:

:makepoint:

That's not helping!!

If a seller doesn't want to leave any money on the table they limit the number of people who they can sell to. Pricing raw at GPA or Pricing Raw/with pressing at its projected grade leaves me no incentive to buy the book. Why? No reward, lots of risk.

The dealers at shows who do the best are the ones who are selling to EVERYONE. Yes they leave some money on the table but guess who is running to the table the next show asking what is new. When everyone is walking away happy it is a win/win. I don't ask the guy to give it away, I just expect to be treated fairly. If they need something from me I work with them. What goes around comes around.

I think I sort of answered this already. Didn't the 10 point scale come out before CGC? I can't remember. OSPG even uses it, and they published grading guides using it.

To me, they are interchangeable, and the numerical system isn't just about CGC items.

Actually used to be a 100 point scale back in the day. It was awful... :facepalm:

;)

-slym

I don't.

lol

1. If they are pulling grades from one of their spreadsheets and the list is not consistent.

or

2. they are using the grade they have listed on the bag (and my collection has some books with letter grades, some with numbers depending on where I bought it from)

mystery solved!

Actually used to be a 100 point scale back in the day. It was awful... :facepalm:

Is there a difference between a hundred point system and a 10 point one that uses decimals?

Is 85 out of 100 any different than 8.5 out of 10?