• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers are now using projected grades?

289 posts in this topic

If you don't like a seller's tactics, don't buy their stuff. I never understood why people get so annoyed with this kind of stuff. It's very easy to not give them your money.

I agree. There's so much other stuff is happening to our lives, and something small like this bothers them??? It tells me they might had a very privilege upbringing.

If you don't like a seller's tactics, don't buy their stuff. I never understood why people get so annoyed with this kind of stuff. It's very easy to not give them your money.

I agree. There's so much other stuff is happening to our lives, and something small like this bothers them??? It tells me they might had a very privilege upbringing.

I don't think it has to do with a privileged upbringing. I think the general consensus that most people have here is that they expect pricing to reflect what they are buying, not what they will get if they spend additional funds to take the necessary steps to fulfill the seller's speculations that he - the seller - doesn't want to take the time to do.

People have a problem with paying a price for something they will not receive. Yes, it's as simple as "don't buy from them" or "The market will decide" - but that kind of attitude is very apathetic.

I don't think it's a matter of "how do we stop it" - it can't be stopped. There are buyers out there that percieve a value in those kinds of listings. But it's still worth talking about.

???

This isn't a first world problem discussion. It is a discussion that evolved from marketplace tactics which borders misrepresentation. As a community, we should discuss such tactics because it's bound to get someone's nose out of joint sooner or later.

Wow! I just visited the link and saw the seller quoting GPA on raw books. :facepalm:

I got a raw book once based on a seller quoting GPA. Tried to resell it and guess what? That's right. Took it right up the ol' keester.

I don't buy from sellers quoting GPA for raw books, but that might not keep someone else who isn't as experienced from doing it and getting burned.

What if I say:

This book is, IMHO, a 9.4. The 12 month average for a 9.4 is $500 and the last sale was $525. I'm offering the book here for $95.

Am I doing something wrong?

Would it be better if I said:

This book is, IMHO, a 9.4. I'm offering the book here for $95.

What if I say:

This book is, IMHO, a 9.4. The 12 month average for a 9.4 is $500 and the last sale was $525. I'm offering the book here for $95.

The latter would be better, IMHO. Using GPA information for a raw book seems inappropriate and misleading to me, because those prices are not based on ungraded books and it suggests what it *could* be sold for *if* the comic were graded at some future time.

I don't think it's a matter of "how do we stop it" - it can't be stopped. There are buyers out there that percieve a value in those kinds of listings. But it's still worth talking about.

Yes, I usually don’t buy CGC books, but it’s a question of seriousness. It doesn’t make sense to guess estimate a professional grade, when books have not been professionally graded.

And it doesn’t take a CGC collector or x-ray vision to see some of those books weren’t precisely NM. Maybe VFNM or NM-, but surely not NM.

What if I say:

The first method is a "car salesman" approach. You can listen to it, but take it as you may.

The second way is straightforward, the way I prefer.

I don't think it has to do with a privileged upbringing. I think the general consensus that most people have here is that they expect pricing to reflect what they are buying, not what they will get if they spend additional funds to take the necessary steps to fulfill the seller's speculations that he - the seller - doesn't want to take the time to do.

People have a problem with paying a price for something they will not receive. Yes, it's as simple as "don't buy from them" or "The market will decide" - but that kind of attitude is very apathetic.

Do you really think there are buyers out there eager to pay full price on a books potential? I have not found any.

For me, it's just that I never want to miss an opportunity to get my panties twisted. :shy:

Does anyone here actually pay GPA prices? I was using GPA as a guide as to what I would pay for books - about 1/2 GPA.

So...., I let my subscription lapse when my credit card changed out.

I just had a guy pass my office and complaining about how my shelves aren't properly organize. I told him...Who cares...if you don't like how it looks...just pass it up and don't saying anything.

Now...if somehow it was a potential fire-hazard, or stolen merchandise, then I would understand, but it's not.

Some of us who would prefer to buy unpressed books. I am happy that some sellers are offering the books before they squish them.

Say that a seller has a book that is currently an 8.0 with a value of $100 but is fairly likely to press to a 9.0 with a value of $200, wouldn't it make sense to to give people a chance to buy it at $150, and save all the expense/hassle/risk of pressing/grading/shipping, etc, especially since there is a segment of the market that would much prefer the unpressed book?

If no one wants to buy them unpressed, the seller can then squish and slab them like everyone else is doing.

Obviously, buying in this way creates extra uncertainty regarding the grade, but that is the nature of buying raw books.

A projected grade seller to me shows that the person wants your money upfront and none of the time/cost associated with doing the work. Hell, why don't I just find the book somewhere else and send you the profit you would have made if you went and bought it yourself.

Do you really think there are buyers out there eager to pay full price on a books potential? I have not found any.

I'm not sure, I just grabbed my pitchfork and torch and got with the rest of these guys talking about it.

In my opinion it comes down to what do we want out of our marketplace. Do we want a hands off anything goes marketplace? Or do we want policing to ensure it is a good marketplace for buyers and sellers. So far we have had a hands off marketplace and it has seemed to work well. People tend to price fairly and not try to rip people off. But if we keep hands off I can see this marketplace going the way of EBay if we aren't careful. As I stated previously I'm of two minds on this.

Now...if somehow it was a potential fire-hazard, or stolen merchandise, then I would understand, but it's not.

Important things start by paying attention to the smaller ones.

I entirely agree with Balls on this: it’s not a matter of losing time on trifle matters, rather of not being inconsiderate with this "who cares?" attitude.

Free to pursue it, you’ll see in the end it does not pay for anyone. :foryou: