• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers are now using projected grades?

289 posts in this topic

Is this the place we can vent about some of the practices here on the boards? For some reason I feel the need to unburden myself.

Feel free to unleash. :popcorn:

Suck it Casy and tell Emily to suck it for the 7 letter word she just made.

What's your win percentage? I'm guessing it hovers somewhere between 15% and 20%.

Over 50%. It helps that I play Casey and Timmay a lot.

I see this in the modern forum when someone is trying to sell a set of books that are varying grades. Sold as a NM lot when certain individual books have the "needs a press" caveat attached. Then they get upset when the books don't sell.

What's your win percentage? I'm guessing it hovers somewhere between 15% and 20%.

What game are you playing? King of Dorkopolis?

:golfclap: Obviously that's much better than I expected.

Is this the place we can vent about some of the practices here on the boards? For some reason I feel the need to unburden myself.

Gimme one of your Marvel Spotlight #32, Logan! :D

(tsk)

Ask him his win % against my wife.

Better than your % against her.

In my opinion it comes down to what do we want out of our marketplace. Do we want a hands off anything goes marketplace? Or do we want policing to ensure it is a good marketplace for buyers and sellers. So far we have had a hands off marketplace and it has seemed to work well. People tend to price fairly and not try to rip people off. But if we keep hands off I can see this marketplace going the way of EBay if we aren't careful. As I stated previously I'm of two minds on this.

"Policing" is fine and even necessary when it comes to protecting members from scams or those who breach contracts. There are also a number of common sense measures in place to ensure that the marketplace remains viable and pleasurable. Beyond that is a giant slippery grey slope.

Feel free to unleash. :popcorn:

OK, why do some sellers user numerical and letter grades in the same sales thread selling raw books?

One book will be listed as NM and the next will be listed at 9.4. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought those were the same???

Better than your % against her.

:cry:

In my opinion it comes down to what do we want out of our marketplace. Do we want a hands off anything goes marketplace? Or do we want policing to ensure it is a good marketplace for buyers and sellers. So far we have had a hands off marketplace and it has seemed to work well. People tend to price fairly and not try to rip people off. But if we keep hands off I can see this marketplace going the way of EBay if we aren't careful. As I stated previously I'm of two minds on this.

"Policing" is fine and even necessary when it comes to protecting members from scams or those who breach contracts. There are also a number of common sense measures in place to ensure that the marketplace remains viable and pleasurable. Beyond that is a giant slippery grey slope.

I agree. I don't think it's wise to police it to the extent that it dictates a strict selling environment, but in this case we are talking about - a simple 'GPA statistics can not be quoted in raw sales threads' would be an easy rule to implement that the majority of people would be okay with.

It's simple, easy-to-understand, and streamlines the sales area without hampering someone's ability to sell books. People can continue to register opinions like "would look great with a press" which can be taken based on the reputation of the seller - but it would weed out the misleading statistic-based information like GPA sales.

I agree. I don't think it's wise to police it to the extent that it dictates a strict selling environment, but in this case we are talking about - a simple 'GPA statistics can not be quoted in raw sales threads' would be an easy rule to implement that the majority of people would be okay with.

It's simple, easy-to-understand, and streamlines the sales area without hampering someone's ability to sell books. People can continue to register opinions like "would look great with a press" which can be taken based on the reputation of the seller - but it would weed out the misleading statistic-based information like GPA sales.

Okay then all a seller would have to do is leave the word GPA out when they list their GPA targeted desired price.

If you don't like a seller's tactics, don't buy their stuff. I never understood why people get so annoyed with this kind of stuff. It's very easy to not give them your money.

I agree. There's so much other stuff is happening to our lives, and something small like this bothers them??? It tells me they might had a very privilege upbringing.

I don't think it has to do with a privileged upbringing. I think the general consensus that most people have here is that they expect pricing to reflect what they are buying, not what they will get if they spend additional funds to take the necessary steps to fulfill the seller's speculations that he - the seller - doesn't want to take the time to do.

People have a problem with paying a price for something they will not receive. Yes, it's as simple as "don't buy from them" or "The market will decide" - but that kind of attitude is very apathetic.

I don't think it's a matter of "how do we stop it" - it can't be stopped. There are buyers out there that percieve a value in those kinds of listings. But it's still worth talking about.

Call it apathetic, but it's up to the individual to determine whether or not the set price for an item reflects what they are buying, not the seller. If I try to sell a book for 5x market value and nobody bites, either I adjust the price or I don't make a sale. The buyer is the one in control. Sellers overgrading, overpricing, quoting GPA, or pricing based on projected pressing are ultimately just wasting their own time, tarnishing their own reps, and are as easy to avoid as a mack truck 500 yards away going 6 MPH. So yeah, I don't see a point in getting bent out of shape.

But why institute it? I'm of the opinion that when dealing with adults, fewer restrictions are always better. When given a little agency and trust, most people will at least strive to make good choices. More restrictions = more rules that need to be enforced, which will inevitably lead to more conflict, so official rules should be limited to those things that are vital to maintaining a viable marketplace and protecting participants. A "no GPA stats on raw books" rule, while seemingly simple, will lead to more conflict, which is unnecessary when you consider how easy it is to simply avoid buying from sellers who do it.

lol

For my sales threads it would be "discounting books like they're CVA verified".