• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Natural curves

14 posts in this topic

Some new comics have a natural curve to the spine. I usually love these because usually means fresh off the press. The only down is that they are prone to get spine stress dings because they fan out more than a flat book. I am wondering if it is better to have these books flatten out gently (with weight from other books or yes, even pressed). CGC seems to reward books that lay flat. Thoughts/opinions?

This is a "stacking curl," and what I believe you're talking about.

If you're looking at a comic laying flat on a table and it has this type of a curl at the spine.

It doesn't take much of this type of curl to knock a book out of a 9.8 grade.

It has to be flat or darn close to flat before CGC will slab it a 9.8.

138908.jpg.75bbdc7d3378b80898ec62e0511672ad.jpg

I know what you are referring to as the picture in the attachment but some new books have a new fresh of the press curve/curl at the spine that has not been affected by stacking yet. The stacking makes the curl uneven vs even. These even curl books should not be not downgraded from 9.8 until the uneven stacking occurs.

I was so excited when I read the subject line. Then I find out it's about comic books.... :facepalm:

That's a spin on an old Rodney Dangerfield joke . . .

"Hey guys, I bought a book the other day, it was called "How to make it BIG!" (pause, Rodney google-eyes face) Boy, was I disappointed to find out it was about making money (shakes head) . . . ba-dum

:facepalm:

C'mon, you love that joke :grin:

I love the joke. And Caddyshack was one of the greatest movies of all time, mostly because of Rodney...

He was the best, though Groucho comes close

"My wife and I were happy for 20 years, then we met"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot. But I always found them"

"I have good looking kids. Thank goodness my wife cheats on me"

I know what you are referring to as the picture in the attachment but some new books have a new fresh of the press curve/curl at the spine that has not been affected by stacking yet. The stacking makes the curl uneven vs even. These even curl books should not be not downgraded from 9.8 until the uneven stacking occurs.

I don't believe the press is creating the curl. I believe the books being stacked into one of Diamond's boxes, and those boxes being stacked on top of each other, is causing that curl near the spine. Probably not all of the books in a box will curl like that but many of them will.

I don't believe the press is creating the curl. I believe the books being stacked into one of Diamond's boxes, and those boxes being stacked on top of each other, is causing that curl near the spine. Probably not all of the books in a box will curl like that but many of them will.

Depending on the printer's fullfilment/bindery setup, I'm pretty sure the comics are being stacked right when they come off the bindery equipment, either in boxes or on pallets.

Another thing to consider is the moisture levels in the books from printing. Offset printing uses water-based inks and the humidity present from the printing process could subtly affect the shape of the finished product when stacked. It's not enough to create moisture damage, but you can feel that a freshly-printed piece is still 'wet'. (it feels slightly damp when it's not 100% cured).

If a book has heavy ink coverage and the dryer unit can't cure the ink to 100% because of that coverage, and then the book is stacked on a pallet or box - it may be able to roll the spine a bit.

And I'm talking ever-so-slight. Not major damage.

I was so excited when I read the subject line. Then I find out it's about comic books.... :facepalm:

Dammit. Got sucked into this thread for the same reason.