• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the farmer to do?

53 posts in this topic

Farmer Brown has a field, and he has seeds. He used to plant the seeds, tend them , harvest them and sell the grown produce to a guy from the city for $10 a pound. That man would drive out, pick up the products drive them back to the city and sell them for $15 a pound. One of this man clients bought a lot of stuff off the truck and would prepare the goods using a secret recipe and then let them age six to eight months. If properly prepared, he can get as much as $100 for a single pound.

Father Brown gets tired of seeing the end results of his sweat and blood being sold for 1000%

what he is getting for it, when he is the one doing most of the work.

He ventures into the city, takes some photos of the prepared foods selling for $100 a pound and decides that since his goods will eventually sell for $100, he might as well charge $50 now.

Anyone see a flaw in his business plan?

If I read this correctly, the $10/lb farmer wants to start charging $50/lb but he's not adding value... just based off of realized prices twice removed.

Of course there's nothing wrong with that approach but that might now cut out the $15/lb purchaser/seller which might also affect the $100/lb purchaser/seller.

In effect, Farmer Brown might just have to sit on his now $50/lb seeds but he might get lucky and strike a direct deal with the $100/lb purchaser/seller.

:shrug:

If we're being serious about the question...

One of this man's clients bought a lot of stuff off the truck and would prepare the goods using a secret recipe and then let them age six to eight months. If properly prepared, he can get as much as $100 for a single pound.

All we know is that the "secret recipe" man spends $15 per pound on produce.

We don't know how much he spends on the "lot of stuff" for the secret recipe,

or if the preparation requires equipment which is expensive to buy/maintain.

Furthermore, we don't know what occurs in the six to eight months of aging,

but even if nothing occurs, we know that the man has money tied up for six to eight months.

Because we don't know all these things, we don't know if the $100 per pound product actually costs $99 per pound to make.

If the farmer charges even $1 more per pound, he would kill the profit for the $100 per pound product,

so he would lose his buyer at $15 per pound.

The whole thing seems like a metaphor for the other post of the day... selling comics based on "potential grade".

If someone sees the end result of carefully selecting raw comics for pressing and slabbing

and decides they want a piece of that "eventual money", they may kill their supply of buyers.

The costs (time/money/risk) associated with carefully selecting raw comics, pressing, and slabbing

could leave only a little room for a profit margin. If that little profit is lost, no profit = no buyers.

If you are getting 1000% of a number, it is the same as multiplying the number by 10.

Whereas, if it is 1000 times a number, it is multiplying the number by 1000.

For example, 100 is the number

1000%of 100 is (100)(10) = 1000

1000 times 100 is 100,000

This is what I understand. "times" (x) is different than percent (%).

Farmer Brown has a field, and he has seeds. He used to plant the seeds, tend them , harvest them and sell the grown produce to a guy from the city for $10 a pound. That man would drive out, pick up the products drive them back to the city and sell them for $15 a pound. One of this man clients bought a lot of stuff off the truck and would prepare the goods using a secret recipe and then let them age six to eight months. If properly prepared, he can get as much as $100 for a single pound.

Father Brown gets tired of seeing the end results of his sweat and blood being sold for 1000% times

He ventures into the city, takes some photos of the prepared foods selling for $100 a pound and decides that since his goods will eventually sell for $100, he might as well charge $50 now.

This is like...

A guy goes into a store and buys a pen and pack of note paper costing $3.

The guy goes home with it and writes a song with the pen on the paper that turns into a hit and he makes a million dollars.

The store owner hears about this and decides to raise the the price of a pen and a pack of paper to $500,000.

Now how long will he stay in business operating like that?

:insane:

Farmer Brown ...gets... $10 a pound.

If properly prepared, he can get as much as $100 for a single pound.

Father Brown gets tired of seeing the end results of his sweat and blood being sold for 1000% times

Off the top of my head, it is obvious that $100 per lb. is not 1000 times $10 bucks per pound.

1000% times would be 10 times.

If you are getting 1000% of a number, it is the same as multiplying the number by 10.

Whereas, if it is 1000 times a number, it is multiplying the number by 1000.

For example, 100 is the number

1000%of 100 is (100)(10) = 1000

1000 times 100 is 100,000

This is what I understand. "times" (x) is different than percent (%).

No one ever said it was 1000 times $10. They said "sold for 1000% times".

In your "off the top of my head" comment, you objected to something that wasn't said.

"1000% times" is an awkward statement, but it doesn't mean 1000 times.

I take all this to be a commentary on the practice of selling/pricing comics as though they been pressed when they haven't yet.

Poor form...

The lone exception would be if a seller just got some new material in and he hadn't had a chance to get them pressed yet and a potential buyer (or just a buddy) heard about the books and asked to see them. And then saw some he wanted and didn't wish to wait weeks for them to be pressed and the buyer made a good offer based on what he thought they might be worth after pressing.

There is no such thing as 1000% times. It is either 1000% or 1000 times. Like you said. It is an awkward (and erroneous) statement. I took it to mean 1000 times, since the OP went to the trouble to spell out "times". You took it differently.

So I guess that makes me wrong and makes you right.

My apologies.

The soul and whole reason for the first post in this thread. Was "anyone see a flaw in this business plan?"

I see a flaw. Apparently you do also. It is the use of "1000% times".

:foryou:

That wasn't the logistical flaw I outlined in detail, but sure... you deserve a couple brownie points for "awkward syntax".

Reminds me of this...

Homework-Find-x-Here-it-is.gif

I take all this to be a commentary on the practice of selling/pricing comics as though they been pressed when they haven't yet.

Poor form...

The lone exception would be if a seller just got some new material in and he hadn't had a chance to get them pressed yet and a potential buyer (or just a buddy) heard about the books and asked to see them. And then saw some he wanted and didn't wish to wait weeks for them to be pressed and the buyer made a good offer based on what he thought they might be worth after pressing.

Your exception is giving me a dull headache... :tonofbricks:

:foryou:

That wasn't the logistical flaw I outlined in detail, but sure... you deserve a couple brownie points for "awkward syntax".

Reminds me of this...

Homework-Find-x-Here-it-is.gif

5 cm :acclaim: