• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is a 9.0 OK?

29 posts in this topic

Or What's your Ideal Grade?

I recently purchased two Daredevil books to get signed. The second one I'll mention another time, but the initial desire to complete a full Daredevil run ended with purchasing a copy of issue #2 in an 8.0. This book was purchased through Comics to Astonish, a retailer/dealer that I buy from on a regular basis. The desire for this book was to not only complete a full Daredevil run, but to have the first ten issues graded by CGC and signed by Stan Lee. I currently have issues 1,3,7, and 8 under this category.

Not only did I purchase the graded copy, I had it pressed. I wanted the best copy I could get. I also had it signed by Stan Lee at Wizard World Philadelphia, hoping I'd get it back the same weekend. I didn't. It is currently on its way back to Maryland (yes Lee K. so is yours). I of course was expecting a 9.0 but I was hoping for a 9.2 and praying for a 9.4, but am I ok with it coming to me as a 9.0?

Why do I feel buyers remorse? There is nothing wrong with silver age being a 9.0. Am I just so used to getting 9.8 modern age books? Am I spoiled with 9.6 signature series? Am I just simply delusional? Or do I expect much more from a pressed book? It could also be I bought it sight unseen. Or maybe I just wanted more points.

Are there any books you have you wish could have graded higher? Am I just crazy not being overjoyed having a 9.0 Stan Lee Signature Series copy of Daredevil #2? I think the answer to that is yes. As for the other book, that grade was much lower, but it gets me closer to my goal as well.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

Picture below is my number three from Wizard World 2012

13935.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

I, myself, would be extremely happy with a Daredevil #2 CGC 9.0 SS signed by Stan Lee...that's an incredible grade for a very underrated book in my opinion! Not that this is a huge deal, but the 2nd appearance of Electro (with the movie coming out) could bring the value up on your book a bit...just my opinion, anyway. Congrats on the acquisition!

Comparing a 9.8 modern to a 9.0 silver age book is like comparing apples to oranges...you can't let the 9.8 modern mentality apply to the old books...unless you have tons of disposable income (of which I don't ;)

I'm sure pressing can only do so much. You went from an 8.0 to a 9.0. If that grade increase covered the cost of pressing and re-slabbing I wouldn't feel bad. If the cost was a lot higher than the value of the grade increase then I would have "buyers remorse"

"Are there any books you have you wish could have graded higher?" All of them :grin:! But seriously, If everybody's comic came back a 9.8 there would be some pretty boring sets out there.

Mike

I know how you feel, 9.0's always make me a little crazy :insane:. I know there's absolutely no logical reason behind it, but if I bought a nice looking 8.5 or 9.2, I would be happy. But a 9.0, I'm always thinking "I should have waited for a better copy to present itself". That being said, while I appreciate a 9.8 as much as the next collector, I'm not a label chaser. And my 9.0 craziness only applies to nondescript issues. That's a really nice copy of DD #2, I would have been happy with the 8.0!

I have several 9.0 slabs that present much better than the assigned grade.

One I am about to have shipped to me is a classic case in point. It presents like a 9.8, was originally graded 9.0, and on resubmission was regraded 9.4. (shrug)

So, don't turn your nose up at nice-looking 9.0s. :)

Dude, you paid for an 8.0 and it came back a 9.0 after pressing and signature?!? How could you not be happy about that?? What a great looking book too.

As far as the need for higher grades...it all depends on the book. I have a Hulk 181 and GSX 1 in 8.0 that I am very happy with and don't care to invest in a higher graded copy, ever. On the other hand I had an Amazing Adventures 11 that came back 9.0 but decided I had to have a 9.6 instead so I traded up. The difference for me I think was all the "time between teams" books framed on my wall were 9.6 white pages and I really wanted to display this one so...can't have one oddball right? lol.

Congrats again on a GREAT looking book!

I just asked a similar question in the "What's wrong with 9.6?" thread...

I asked if 8.0 was a decent grade for collectors. Can I jump onto this thread to get your guy's thoughts? I think 9.0 is awesome, but I meant for some of us that don't have a ton of $. Just picked up a DD #1 8.0 and I don't see myself being able to afford a much higher grade than that anytime soon.

I was looking to pick up an ASM #50 8.0 next... thoughts on EIGHT.0's?

:gossip: Sorry. I know the thread is 9.0, but just wanted somewhat of a comparison?

Is 9.0 = 9.8 Modern

8.0 = 9.6 Modern

(shrug)

I asked if 8.0 was a decent grade for collectors. Can I jump onto this thread to get your guy's thoughts? I think 9.0 is awesome, but I meant for some of us that don't have a ton of $. Just picked up a DD #1 8.0 and I don't see myself being able to afford a much higher grade than that anytime soon.

:gossip: Sorry. I know the thread is 9.0, but just wanted somewhat of a comparison?

Is 9.0 = 9.8 Modern

8.0 = 9.6 Modern

(shrug)

It all comes down to personal preference. Generally speaking, 8.0 is highly sought after in the more expensive books...I've even seen them sell for more than a 9.0 for the same book (ASM 129 for instance). This makes no sense to me, but it is what it is. So it's tough to say this grade in SA equates to this grade in Modern. Most people have in mind what the lowest grade is they are willing to accept while others will take whatever they can get. Again, it all comes down to personal preference.

Ok, thanks. See, I've just gotten back into collecting after a 16 year hiatus. There was no CGC when I last collected - you just focused on the condition of the book and haggled over price. Now there are "definitive" #'s attached with books.

And I know the saying "buy the book and not the number" but I didn't know if there was sort of a "cut off" for lack of a better phrase for books you don't want to buy below a certain grade. I guess that's the better question more than trying to equate SA to Moderns.

And obviously, I would take an AF #15 or a book of that magnitude in ANY condition...I meant more for books like ASM #50 or Hulk #181. (shrug)

Is 9.0 = 9.8 Modern

8.0 = 9.6 Modern

(shrug)

I, myself, would be ecstatic to have a Daredevil #1 in 8.0 condition - that's an awesome acquisition! Congrats :)

Like Surfer said it's all personal preference. There certainly isn't a guide for what you like: you know that answer. I have an X-Men #1 that is 4.5 that I absolutely cherish. I would love for it to be an 8.0 or something higher, but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it for what it is. The answer to what is an "OK" grade is only answrered by yourself.

Personally, I'd crawl over broken glass if a DD #1 8.0 was waiting on the other side for me...

A signed DD 2 in 9.0 would be second highest graded for a SS book. A book from 1964 in 9.0 is very desirable. You should be happy about it. You are showing signs of an addictive nature, the addiction being label chasing. Now if the pages are not White then we have a problem !

I, myself, would be extremely happy with a Daredevil #2 CGC 9.0 SS signed by Stan Lee...that's an incredible grade for a very underrated book in my opinion! Not that this is a huge deal, but the 2nd appearance of Electro (with the movie coming out) could bring the value up on your book a bit...just my opinion, anyway. Congrats on the acquisition!

Comparing a 9.8 modern to a 9.0 silver age book is like comparing apples to oranges...you can't let the 9.8 modern mentality apply to the old books...unless you have tons of disposable income (of which I don't ;)

Thank you.

I wrote a journal a while ago and calculated what I wanted for each grade and each number for Daredevil, and although I don't believe I will ever have them all graded by CGC I at least want to have the first ten signed by Stan Lee and graded. I am not disappointed at all in the grade as you can see from my picture above I love my issue #3 in the same grade. Maybe I just want it in my hands so I can drool over it.

As far as apples and oranges, I always order the fruit salad. Thank you for your input. As far as disposable income, if I had that I would be winning the New Mutants 98 in a gem mint ten coming to auction in August.

I'm sure pressing can only do so much. You went from an 8.0 to a 9.0. If that grade increase covered the cost of pressing and re-slabbing I wouldn't feel bad. If the cost was a lot higher than the value of the grade increase then I would have "buyers remorse"

"Are there any books you have you wish could have graded higher?" All of them :grin:! But seriously, If everybody's comic came back a 9.8 there would be some pretty boring sets out there.

Mike

I agree if they all came back 9.8 it would be boring and then what would we strive for? I am lucky with my collection that the majority of it I love and cherish, including a 9.8 SS X-Men 109 that is a one of a kind. Now only if I could find a New Mutants 58 in a 9.8 my journey to the dark side would be complete.