• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POST YOUR GRADER'S NOTES

36 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to the CGC grading process, but I just received my Iron Man #55 back with a grade of 4.5. This is significantly less than what I expected. When I went to look at the grader's notes online it said none were available. What determines whether a book has grader's notes or not?

I'm fairly new to the CGC grading process, but I just received my Iron Man #55 back with a grade of 4.5. This is significantly less than what I expected. When I went to look at the grader's notes online it said none were available. What determines whether a book has grader's notes or not?

Thats a good question. my 9.8's don't have graders notes either.

9.8's will typically have no grader notes associated with them.

Not sure why the 4.5 didn't have any. I would call them on that if you are interested.

9.8's will typically have no grader notes associated with them.

Not sure why the 4.5 didn't have any. I would call them on that if you are interested.

The only reason I would think is that it was a blatant defect that did not warrant notes. I remember that the policy changed a number of years ago where obvious defects would not be noted.

There really seems to be no rhyme or logical reason why some books have grader notes and others dont. For ex, I just got a 9.8 with grader notes. The theory about obvious common defects was thrown out the window with that one because the notes say spine ticks which you can see when held to the light, duh. Sorry I paid for those.

I do think I read somewhere, likely on this forum about a year ago, possibly in the ask cgc forum that grader notes are not mandatory and are actually arbitrary at the discretion of the grader(s) to take while grading and provide at the end. It does seem odd as to why they would provide grader notes at all for obvious things but not for less obvious ones. It does follow the consistently inconsistent.nature we've come to know about cgc. I recently asked this question in the ask cgc section along with whether grader notes can be requested to be taken and provided free/for a fee for all graded comics I submit. Haven't heard back.

There really seems to be no rhyme or logical reason why some books have grader notes and others dont. For ex, I just got a 9.8 with grader notes. The theory about obvious common defects was thrown out the window with that one because the notes say spine ticks which you can see when held to the light, duh. Sorry I paid for those.

I do think I read somewhere, likely on this forum about a year ago, possibly in the ask cgc forum that grader notes are not mandatory and are actually arbitrary at the discretion of the grader(s) to take while grading and provide at the end. It does seem odd as to why they would provide grader notes at all for obvious things but not for less obvious ones. It does follow the consistently inconsistent.nature we've come to know about cgc. I recently asked this question in the ask cgc section along with whether grader notes can be requested to be taken and provided free/for a fee for all graded comics I submit. Haven't heard back.

Don't expect a reply from them in that thread - they reply probably twice a month and they seem to pick and choose what they want to answer.

Grade: 9.0

Notes:

Left Top Back Cover Chip Out

Bottom Front Cover Small Stain

The chip I knew about, I can't believe I missed the stain doh!

You can still get a 9 for that?

Jeez. I just graded one of my books tonight that had a small stain and a chip out and I gave it a 7.0 or 7.5.

Maybe I'm being too strict.

The rest of the book was perfect. I've had 9.8's with a tiny corner chip on the back cover. I figured the book was at least a 9.4/9.6, but the stain was in the cover copy near the bottom and I missed it..ah well.

Also I wanted to see Grader Notes on my ASM #300 which was graded at a 9.2 and Grader's Notes is unavailable??

So why does this have no notes if its graded at a 9.2??

Surely there has to be some kind of notes that made them grade it at a 9.2.

Regarding some books not having grader's notes, I thought books submitted in the Value tier don't have notes anymore. Also, when submitted for onsite grading, they usually don't have notes.