• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Appearance of Doomsday??

262 posts in this topic

You know I find it funny.... a few months ago MoS #18 would have been selling for less than $50. There were alot of them, now I just checked ebay and hold and behold there's one thats selling for more than $200 (MORE THAN $200) That is just insane..... Oh the power that this message board has.......

:winnah:

I highly doubt it went that high because of these boards, Last sale on MOS 17 9.8 was $148 way before it was even mentioned here.

You know I find it funny.... a few months ago MoS #18 would have been selling for less than $50. There were alot of them, now I just checked ebay and hold and behold there's one thats selling for more than $200 (MORE THAN $200) That is just insane..... Oh the power that this message board has.......

I highly doubt it went that high because of these boards, Last sale on MOS 17 9.8 was $148 way before it was even mentioned here.

You're right about the increase before the board discussions. That said, these boards tend to amplify and focus attention on such items. Then you see things like every single raw online get snapped up.

To say these boards have no impact would be untrue. To say that the boards are the be all / end all of sales would be equally untrue. The truth and effect is somewhere in between. Keep in mind also that this isn't the ONLY message board discussing these sorts of things either. It's unlikely that this issue was not discussed in some capacity elsewhere.

Comparing the original print runs, MOS 18 is significantly lower than ASM 300.

hm

Using http://www.comichron.com/titlespotlights/amazingspiderman.html

and the #300 "25th anniversary factor", there were at least 500,000 ASM #300, if not 750,000 printed.

More than 300,000 to 400,000 would have been around either as direct sales or surviving the retail returns.

Not sure what happened to all the returns, but it's always possible they got back into circulation, too.

MOS 18 first prints are half, if not a third or quarter, of the ASM #300 supply.

hm

and the #300 "25th anniversary factor", there were at least 500,000 ASM #300, if not 750,000 printed.

smiley_nah.gif

More than 300,000 to 400,000 would have been around either as direct sales or surviving the retail returns.

smiley_nah.gif

MOS 18 first prints are half, if not a third or quarter, of the ASM #300 supply.

hm

smiley_nah.gif

hm

smiley_nah.gif

Not sure what you're objecting to... "1988 Total Copies PRINTED (avg): 451,930"

If 451,930 is average... you can guarantee that the #300 boost was enough to push it well over 500,000.

You're right about the increase before the board discussions. That said, these boards tend to amplify and focus attention on such items. Then you see things like every single raw online get snapped up.

To say these boards have no impact would be untrue. To say that the boards are the be all / end all of sales would be equally untrue. The truth and effect is somewhere in between. Keep in mind also that this isn't the ONLY message board discussing these sorts of things either. It's unlikely that this issue was not discussed in some capacity elsewhere.

People on the boards don't realize just how big comic collecting is, Not saying it doesn't ever happen that ppl on here buy stuff up but many more i'm sure are doing the same who are not on these boards, People here aren't the only ones with their eyes and ears open about this kind of stuff.

People on the boards don't realize just how big comic collecting is, Not saying it doesn't ever happen that ppl on here buy stuff up but many more i'm sure are doing the same who are not on these boards, People here aren't the only ones with their eyes and ears open about this kind of stuff.

I am not sure "people" are missing the point or failing to realize how "big" the hobby is. In reality, true comic collectors (not just investors) make up an infinitesimally small portion of the overall population.

Regardless, the point is valid that many people on this site are staples at most major conventions, run some of the largest comic sales sites and are either advisors themselves or personally know a number of the OSPG advisors. Not to mention that it isn't unreasonable to assume that many of them participate in other comic forums as well.

Never underestimate the reach of a site like this. While all collectors are certainly not reached, market pricing can definitely be influenced by this group. No question.

Sometimes all it takes is a nice variant cover that is hard to find. I sold a copy of Wolverine Origins #28 2nd print on Ebay for around $40, and that started the increase/demand for it with other copies selling for about same price. They even created a thread about it over at comicbookrealm wondering "why the sudden change?".

As for Doomsday being in a MOS sequel, it can be done. He's an artificially highly evolved killing machine originating from Krypton, thousands of years old. Superman is also a highly evolved being from Krypton, but through natural evolution. One is a destroyer that runs on instinct, the other a protector with intelligence and compassion. Just including an origin story of Doomsday (think Hunter/Prey comics) in the beginning of the movie would be awesome. The movie has a lot of potential, but if they do decide to make it, they'll just mess it up as usual.

Just look at what they did with Bane. In the comics, he's a genius who orchestrated the downfall of the Bat, and even figured out his real identity. In the movie, he's a whipped henchman who cries at the end. REALLY!?

Bane is too big of a character to fit into one film. It should have been a two part movie, with the first movie ending with Bruce Wayne recovering in a wheelchair, and Bane standing overlooking the city while parts of it burn, and the Batsignal in the sky. People would have been itching for the sequel! Instead, we got a film with so many plot holes that I think of Swiss cheese every time someone mentions it.

Eh, rant over.

How is the 4th print more rare then the 5th Print of Man of Steel 18? Anybody know why? Ebay seller is advertising 4th print tougher to find just curious if anyone can support that?

You're taking an e-bay seller's hyperbole as fact? :o

:roflmao:

There is no way of knowing which print had a larger print run. I would think the 5th print would be the smallest, only because by the time it came out the air was already out of the Superman bubble. hm

I'd bet on MOS 17 over 18.

By the time 18 came out, everyone knew about it and we bought heavily. I still have 8 copies of 18 I bought off the shelf. Only have one copy of 17 from back in those days and it's a VF+. 17 was the money book of that run for awhile, simply because it was harder to find than 18 (the official part 1) or any DoS issues after it.

Same thing happened with Knightfall, with the prelude books (esp. Batman 488-490, but to a lesser extent, 491) being more collectible/valuable than the "official" part 1 in Batman 492. It was a fun time, chasing early Azrael appearances & Detective issues with Sam Kieth covers.

By the time 18 came out, everyone knew about it and we bought heavily. I still have 8 copies of 18 I bought off the shelf. Only have one copy of 17 from back in those days and it's a VF+. 17 was the money book of that run for awhile, simply because it was harder to find than 18 (the official part 1) or any DoS issues after it.

Same thing happened with Knightfall, with the prelude books (esp. Batman 488-490, but to a lesser extent, 491) being more collectible/valuable than the "official" part 1 in Batman 492. It was a fun time, chasing early Azrael appearances & Detective issues with Sam Kieth covers.

At the time, Vengeance of Bane was the Bat-book that skyrocketed in value, if you could even find a copy for sale. Ahh, speculators, what a great time in comics.

Good thing there isn't any speculating going on in comics now a days. :D

:sumo:

:tonofbricks:

How is the 4th print more rare then the 5th Print of Man of Steel 18? Anybody know why? Ebay seller is advertising 4th print tougher to find just curious if anyone can support that?

You're taking an e-bay seller's hyperbole as fact? :o

:roflmao:

There is no way of knowing which print had a larger print run. I would think the 5th print would be the smallest, only because by the time it came out the air was already out of the Superman bubble. hm

Now you know better then that. :makepoint:

Just in case it was a boardie I was given them the opportunity to support their claim. Personally I have seen about 3 4th prints and I have personally never seen a 5th.

meh