• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite story arcs of the last decade

51 posts in this topic

I'm sure some version of this thread exists already, but it's nice to think there is more to modern comics than Image speculation and what came out last week, so what are your favorite story arcs of the last decade?- doesn't have to have started but should have ended after mid 2003, and preferably originally told over more than one issue, unless a longer graphic novel.

FWIW - here are a few of mine ( in no particular order) that are perhaps not obvious choices for many here.

Apocalypse Nerd by Peter Bagge - with a different title and "serious" art, this would be remembered as a grim tale of survival in a post-apocalyptic future, but thanks to Peter Bagge's brilliant "funny" artwork, you'll find yourself laughing at inappropriate moments. A prime example of the effect that visuals have on a narrative, and a compelling story as well.

Stuff of Dreams by Kim Deitch ( collected as Alias the Cat) - I recommend all of Deitch's work, but this is probably his most self-contained and accessible work for people unfamiliar with his output, as well as considered one of his best, and Golden Age superhero fans may find the Alias the Cat character compelling.

Criminal: The Last of the Innocent by Brubaker and Phillips - all of the Criminal story arcs are excellent, and this one may not even be the best plotted, but Phillip's use of Archie-style art for the flashbacks to character's high school days makes it a favorite of mine. Another example of art taking story to a new level.

Desolation Jones 1-6 by Warren Ellis and J.H. Williams. I've never been a huge Ellis fan, though he's more interesting than most comic writers, but this blend of espionage thriller , Socal weirdness and gritty noir is a fantastic read.

BPRD: The Killing Ground by John Arcudi and Guy Davis - BPRD is my favorite Hellboy related title, and if I revisited the run I might even find storylines I liked better, but this one sticks out due to the foreboding air of mystery and that the title took a break from the Plague of Frogs storyline, which went on a bit too long for my liking. It also helps that for many, including myself, Guy Davis is THE artist for the BPRD run.

I'm sure if I can come up with more , and will post as they occur to me.

Uncanny X-Men - She Lies With Angels: I feel that this was one of the best x-men stories of all time.

Avengers Dissasembled: Very well done story, even though it led into the abortion that was House of M.

Civil War - This was a very good story that was royally screwed up by Marvel afterwards and eventually almost retconned to the point it never happened

ASM: One More Day - Despite how much I detest Joe Q. and everything he has done to comics, this was an excellent story even though the aftermath was absolutely atrocious.

Rising Stars - JMS at his best

Y The Last Man - Vaughn at his best. I still re-read this whole series a couple times a year.

Chew - While it has gone off the rails over the last 6-7 months, I believe that the first 20 or so issues were absolutely fantastic

Rachel Rising - I have been preaching this book up since the beginning and it only caught fire because of the potential for making money due to the movie rumors. Terry Moore is da man!

Sinestro Corps War/Blackest Night - Geoff Johns.....need I say more?

Identity Crisis - One of my all time favorite DC storylines, and the Rag Morales art was off the hook!

A handful of mine that haven't yet been mentioned:

• Alias - The Origin and Purple Man issues from like 21-28 or so. Just devastating to read, yet so damned good.
  • Daredevil - Brubaker's run (although I really enjoyed Bendis' run as well)
  • Daredevil - current Waid run, just excellent stuff
  • Uncanny X-Force - the run that just ended
  • Life With Archie - even non-Archie fans should love this series, astounding how good a read it is, with adult themes yet still Archie-ish
  • Kevin Keller - gay fans are in love with this series, and straight fans too for that matter!
  • Ultimate Spider-Man - the new Miles Morales character and run has been outstanding, highly recommended
  • Amazing Spider-Man - the Rhino issues from a few years ago, wow

Scalped 1-60

Locke & Key, all series.

Much of Ultimate Spidey including the new guy, Miles Morales

Planet Hulk was solid but haven't read WW Hulk yet.

Cap by Brubaker

DD by Waid (haven't read the Brubaker stuff yet.)

Planet Hulk - By far the best Hulk story in 20 years.

Old Man Logan - Cant wait for sequel although ending was just little lame.

Exiles - "Masada storyline" I think Exiles 21-25 last of Winnick's run. Best portrayal of Black Bolt I have seen in a long time.

Y the Last Man - What a great idea should translate into a movie or TV show easily.

Annihilation - Best Space Epic since Thanos came back in SS and I think its better.

Annihilation Conquest - The sequel was better I think.

Locke & Key

I Kill Giants

Mind MGMT

Asterios Polyp

Haven't heard of Asterios Polyp, but might have to check it out, since I'm loving the rest of your list. I Kill Giants is fantastic.

It's a GN by David Mazzucchelli. It's one of those comics that simply couldn't be told in any other medium. He completely mastered the medium.

IKG is one of the best books hardly anyone has read :cry:

Scalped. Book was amazing.

Anything by Brian Wood. Lance's list is pretty good (Massive goes on there for me). I wasn't as big a fan of New York Five or the Vertigo fighting book. But no complaints here.

Mind MGMT will blow your $#$$#$#$#$#$# mind.

Pat

My three favorites would be

The Authority ( Ellis, Millar, Hitch, Quitely, and Laura Dupuy/Martin ), I know, I cheated by a year ;-)

Planetary ( Ellis, Cassady, Martin )

Action Comics 775 ( shows why Superman is Superman )

and then these

Fables ( complete )

Invincible ( complete )

The Walking Dead (complete )

Y the Last Man ( complete )

Ultimate Spider-man ( original the first 30 or so )

New X-Men ( Morrison run)

Powers

Rising Stars

Civil War

Identity Crisis

Astonishing X-Men ( original first 20 or so )

I could do this forever. I like way too much stuff. I think there are a couple of books that came out this year that will probably make the list. East of West and Star Wars come to mind.

The first few arcs of Walking Dead were awesome.

Chew is still the one I look forward to every month the most.

Fables is a no fail. Except for the literals story arc.

Scalped and Sweet Tooth are both page turners.

There are many more...

My three favorites would be

The Authority ( Ellis, Millar, Hitch, Quitely, and Laura Dupuy/Martin ), I know, I cheated by a year ;-)

Planetary ( Ellis, Cassady, Martin )

Action Comics 775 ( shows why Superman is Superman )

and then these

Fables ( complete )

Invincible ( complete )

The Walking Dead (complete )

Y the Last Man ( complete )

Ultimate Spider-man ( original the first 30 or so )

New X-Men ( Morrison run)

Powers

Rising Stars

Civil War

Identity Crisis

Astonishing X-Men ( original first 20 or so )

I could do this forever. I like way too much stuff. I think there are a couple of books that came out this year that will probably make the list. East of West and Star Wars come to mind.

Good call on Planetary, Invincible, and Fables.

Barring the last issue and the cross-over event, Fables has been fantastic for a VERY long time. Honestly, I didn't think the Oz back-up was done very well. Too bad, because I had high hopes for it.

Pat