• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping first class through USPS

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I just want to inform a everyone that sells and buys books from people over the internet of some things that I have recently found out.

first as most of you probably already know first class shipping through USPS can not be tracked passed leaving the US.

I also just recently found out through dealing with a package that I sent. There is no defined time that the shipping process take when going out of the US. I called about a package that i had sent to a fellow boardie about a month ago and i was told that it was through customs but they could not tell me how long it would take. They basically told me that it could be a week any amount of time longer.

And lastly I was always told that there were no other options and no insurance going out of the country through USPS. I am getting mixed answers whether there really is or not, but I have found out that there is an option to have a specific person sign for the package. I was told that this could not happen at the local post office. Do not let them tell you that they can not do this. I have talked to the main offices and this is an option.

I just wanted to inform as many people as I can so they do not run into the same problems that I am currently going through with either buying or selling. Most of these problems are with international shipping not domestic. Thanks Mike

First Class is cheap but you can't track or insure it.

I've had it take over three months to get delivered in Canada.

It will probably get there, but you may forget you sent it before it does.

Canada's postal service has a worse turnaround than CGC. hm

I've learned the hard way not to ship first class.

There are some buyers on eBay, who will specifically ask for first class shipping knowing that it cannot be tracked, and when the package arrives, they promptly open a case and automatically win.

A better option is Priority Mail flat rate envelopes, which also can't be tracked, but have a better defined shipping time.

all the flat rate i send have tracking, you must not be doing it right.

It tracks until it gets in the hands of the Canadian PO, then nothing.

If you're shipping first class, spend the extra $12 send it First Class Registered mail.

Tracking problem solved and cheaper than Priority International.

You would think after TEN years, Dice would know this :baiting:

I think this is only good for 4lbs or less, though I could be wrong. But useful for one slab.

If you're shipping first class, spend the extra $12 send it First Class Registered mail.

That wasn't the original question.

I think this is only good for 4lbs or less, though I could be wrong. But useful for one slab.

Correct..it is for 4lbs or less. But First class is ONLY 4lbs or less. Once you break the 4, you have to go Priority.

And the OP asked about First class.....sooo....

Express International CAN be done online BUT

you still need to drop the package(s) off at a local USPS center. Can't put it in the corner mailbox waiting for the carriers to pick them up.

CAL

That's on USPS's website. If you put your tracking # into www.canadapost.ca it should show the rest of the journey.

You can either:

1. Ship it "first class international" and person_without_enough_empathy about it

OR

2. Ship it Priority Mail and not have problems.

Up to you. Stop whining.

Books under a bill go first class, I notify the buyer about it in advance, something like "I can save you some money on shipping and send it first class".. They're happy they got a break in the price and everyone wins.

If its over a hunnerd I send express and bill them accordingly..

Never had a problem so far

Thanks for info guys. I asked the local postal workers whom i will never listen to again and they said the only way you could ship was first class and never told me i could get a signature for it. You got to love people that just want to get their job done and not worry about the customer. We need a thread to stay stickied somewhere so anyone can go to it before they ship stuff and get all the info they could ever want. I just made this thread cause I didnt want anyone to get burnt by someone or to alert anyone who has been told what I was told that you can ship other ways through USPS. I deffinately would have shipped another way if it was an option. I would rather spend an extra 10$ on shipping out of my own pocket then to have angry customers.

Does first class registered work with prepaid? I remember being told that international registered mail can't be done online, and has to be done at a post office location.

All registered mail - international or otherwise - has to be done at the post office Cannot be prepaid. That's because of the nature of registered. It is tracked every step of the way. Anyone that touches it signs off. If it's not moving, it's locked up. You have to use brown paper tape, sealing all the seams. The USPS employee stamps it with the date all along the brown tape so any tampering is evident. You can also purchase a TON of insurance at reasonable prices.

It doesn't travel particularly fast, but nothing is more secure.

Does first class registered work with prepaid? I remember being told that international registered mail can't be done online, and has to be done at a post office location.

All registered mail - international or otherwise - has to be done at the post office Cannot be prepaid. That's because of the nature of registered. It is tracked every step of the way. Anyone that touches it signs off. If it's not moving, it's locked up. You have to use brown paper tape, sealing all the seams. The USPS employee stamps it with the date all along the brown tape so any tampering is evident. You can also purchase a TON of insurance at reasonable prices.

It doesn't travel particularly fast, but nothing is more secure.

Once it leaves the US there there is no way of knowing that it is secured. International Registers entering the US are thrown in with the Priority mail. Express is still held out seperate.

Once it leaves the US there there is no way of knowing that it is secured. International Registers entering the US are thrown in with the Priority mail. Express is still held out seperate.

So, this isn't true?

That's on USPS's website. If you put your tracking # into www.canadapost.ca it should show the rest of the journey.

:shrug:

-slym