• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the true 'classic covers' of the Marvel SA?

230 posts in this topic

Hi all --

I've been tweaking my collecting focus yet again (!) and have once again decided to pull in a few 'classic covers' from the Marvel superhero Silver Age into the fold. Mostly I'm focusing on a HG run of FF 1-20 right now (not to mention the SA 'keys' from all titles), but I'd love to have a few supreme covers represented as well.

The point of this thread is to get your opinions on what you consider a truly 'classic cover' from Marvel's SA superhero books. I've noted that Overstreet and even CGC has denoted such covers from time to time (i.e., Journey Into Mystery 89), but what do you think? (I've done a search over the past year and cannot find a thread on this topic.)

Given that I'm already collecting many of the key books as well, let's keep those covers out of the discussion. Just books that are classic for the cover art alone.

If you decide to respond, pick no more than TWO covers to nominate (without repeating previous nominations). Images welcome! I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Thanks --

Dan

OK, these are awesome...

You know, it strikes me that Steranko's Nick Fury run has several likely contenders. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be #3.

Which reminds me how much the colorist's decisions help make a superb cover. What would Avengers #57 be like if it used traditional colors? Not nearly as awesome, IMO.

Dan