• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the true 'classic covers' of the Marvel SA?

230 posts in this topic

ap57.jpg

I don't get the love for this one. :shrug:

It'd be a pretty nice cover if not for the monochromatic coloring - that makes it completely memorable.

Some really nice choices so far - but let's see some DC scans!

Some really nice choices so far - but let's see some DC scans!

I think this thread is about Marvel covers only, isn't it?

Maybe it's just me, but while a lot of the covers cited are classics, some of them just seem to be nice covers that don't jump out to me at all compared to any other Marvel cover from the period. I guess I am unsure what criteria some people are using for their "classic cover" nominations.

Some more covers I would call classics:

FF #48

Avengers #16

Avengers 4

FF 49

Folks are mentioning some very nice covers here...some covers I hadn't given any thought to in decades.

Looking at all of these postings made me realize how striking so many of Marvel's covers were, and I can only imagine how they would have grabbed by attention if I saw them on the newstands back in the '60's. hm

Yeah, these are some terrific choices. Thanks for that.

I saw Cap #113 on the list, which makes sense, but also Cap #110...Steranko again, yes? It's really amazing to think how much talent the Marvel "bullpen" had during the 60's and early 70's...Steranko, Kirby, Starlin, Romita, Ditko (but gone too soon), early Perez, the Buscemas...and my favorite "creative talent" from that entire period -- Joe Sinnott.

(And I'm sure I've forgotten a ton of them.)

An embarrassment of riches.

Dan

If no one else is going to follow the original rules, I get to play some more.

Just for fun, I'm self-imposing some restrictions. No re-using characters or artists!

As drummy is already all up in Fantastic Four's bidness, the FF is covered, and Kirby is a check. I may push past 1970 a tad here.

Iron-Man #1 Gene Colon

Conan #21 BWSmith

Hulk #123 Herb Trimpe

ASM #50 John Romita

X-Men #56 Neal Adams

Daredevil #7 Wally Wood

Strange Tales #156 Marie Severin (Dr. Strange)

Captain America #155 Sal Buscema

Previously used Steranko (NFAoS #6) and John Buscema (Avengers ann. #2)

...starting experience diminishing reteurns here. Better get to the finale...

Tales of Suspense #2 Steve Ditko! It might be his finest cover, period.