• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how should i handle this?

18 posts in this topic

I won an auction on ebay for a run of Supreme Power 3-9 all graded 9.8. I paid 60 plus 12 shipping.

Got the books today, and they were mailed in a brown shoebox with just some newspapers crumpled up around them. opened the box and the 2 books on the bottom were both cracked, 1 about halfway down the slab, the other from top to bottom on one edge, enough where I could probably pull the book out.

I sent a message to seller, with 2 options, 1. refund em 30 bucks,(option I stated I preferred) which I figured to be about cost to re-holder the books plus shipping. or I could send them back for a full refund.

got his reply, he stated he had somebody else mail them as he was gone. and told me to send them back and after checkin the cert numbers he would refund me my money. So ill be out 12 bucks shipping plus cost of bubble wrap and such, cause I make mine pretty much bullet proof(though aint nothing postal proof).

For some reason, even though he has perfect 400 plus feedback, with many of them as a seller, I don't trust him.

I think its the way his message was worded. but it could be that I just want to keep the books and have them re slabbed. So I need some objective criticism.

I would like to keep the books, because of the price I paid for them( I couldn't get them slabbed near as cheap as I bought them, even with the 30 bucks its gonna cost to re holder 2 of them.

So please advise me what to do. I will take all comments into account and go from there.

thanks

Boy, tiny, your thread title really gave me the wrong impression.

I wouldn't make too much of this tone in the email. He offered a refund on return of the books. That's fair and that's how I would go. If he'll take back just the two cracked books, that would be ideal, if you could work out the dollar value for those two.

Even great sellers get tired of dealing with issues like this. There are a lot of bad buyers, and they never know what kind of buyer they're getting when there's an issue. Once you send the cracked slabs back, there shouldn't be an issue. If there is, you can open a case on ebay.

take a poop in the box and send it back to him with delivery confirmation.

www.thehouseofcomics.com style!

If the books aren't damaged, I'd just keep them and re-holder them at some point with some other books that need new slabs.

That's not to excuse the seller's lousy service. But for me, if I wanted to keep the books, I'd chalk it up to eBay fun and move on. It doesn't seem like the guy and the process is worth the bother.

I think the guy should refund you all your $$ PLUS your shipping. He's the one who had some doofus pack and send them, therefore he should take responsibility for his error in judgement in having that guy be his shipping manager while "he was away" :mad::sumo:

I think the problem is you'd rather he paid you the $30 back to reholster the cracked two? Perhaps you could level with him and explain why you'd prefer to do that (and maybe offer him to split the difference).

"here are pics of the two cracked books, can you send me $15 to cover half the resub costs"?

Goodluck pal!

joey

I think the guy should refund you all your $$ PLUS your shipping. He's the one who had some doofus pack and send them, therefore he should take responsibility for his error in judgement in having that guy be his shipping manager while "he was away" :mad::sumo:

I've no experience in these matters to advise a course of action, but I definitely agree with this statement FWIW

I would just be honest with him and state that either you or he would have to reholder them (send him some pics of the damage) so it would be good customer service if he just refunded you the amount to cover those costs. Remind him (hint hint) that it would make you a very happy customer if he did and you feedback would reflect that.

A seller with only 400 FB would not want to risk poor customer service to end up with a neutral or neg because he got cheap over a few bucks when he knows he did a crappy job on shipping (or he should have been watching whoever else was packing his stuff!).

If he does not budge on trying to help a customer out then I would stat a damaged item claim. That may result in what you are hoping for anyway.

Good Luck

I've no experience in these matters to advise a course of action, but I definitely agree with this statement FWIW

:acclaim:

If its clear that the slab was damaged due to inadequate packing, then I would hope the seller would pay for the reholder fee. Or offer full refund plus pay for your return shipping fee. Why should you be out any money just because the seller doesn't know how to ship a slab? (or they do know, they just "didnt have time" to do it right)

Now if an item is packed well, but still got damaged anyway, I'll just eat the cost on those since thats not the sellers fault.

The last shipment of 11 slabs I sent to CGC for reholder cost me $210.

$12 reholder fee x 11

$25 shipping to CGC with Insurance

$36 return shipping from CGC

$16 insurance on the return shipping from CGC

So in my case, the cost to reholder worked out to about $20 each slab.