• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Humidity at the CGC Offices

95 posts in this topic

I noticed this warping on a recent purchase here on the boards. This is in no way the seller's fault... this is a CGC QC problem that could be doing permanent damage to the book.

IMG_4828_zpsbefbabf8.jpg

This is very common with square bound books and the inner well.

I have seen this on a few books I get in, and have seen it on poorly pressed books. Since you did not have them pressed it may be a result of uneven pressure from the inner well. I would think a book subjected to high humidity would show waves evenly, not just on one end. I live in Central Florida and a book left out for a day or two swells and plumps evenly, not just one edge.

How close is the seal on the top edge of the inner well to the top edge of the comic? From the scans it looks pretty close. My experiences with this is the book will still lay flat once it is cut out of the inner well. I would try that with the worst book you have and see what happens. If it is still wavy then it is not the well and other avenues would need to be explored.

Additionally, I have been to CGC's Facilities and they are state of the art. Even the lobby is climate controlled and comfortable.

Been there myself-cool climate. This had to happen outside their offices.

I have seen this on a few books I get in, and have seen it on poorly pressed books. Since you did not have them pressed it may be a result of uneven pressure from the inner well. I would think a book subjected to high humidity would show waves evenly, not just on one end. I live in Central Florida and a book left out for a day or two swells and plumps evenly, not just one edge.

How close is the seal on the top edge of the inner well to the top edge of the comic? From the scans it looks pretty close. My experiences with this is the book will still lay flat once it is cut out of the inner well. I would try that with the worst book you have and see what happens. If it is still wavy then it is not the well and other avenues would need to be explored.

Additionally, I have been to CGC's Facilities and they are state of the art. Even the lobby is climate controlled and comfortable.

Been there myself-cool climate. This had to happen outside their offices.

Almost certainly happened during the return shipping. The box was sitting in a hot postal distribution center, then in hot trucks during transit and delivery. Leave comics in heat long enough and they will begin to "ripple."

Common parlance within fandom in those days will include such phrases as 'it's in the mold', 'spore ridden networks', 'fungal veining patterns', & 'Floridian wet-mopped.'

The whole lot of them will be called 'the Florida books'; & then, in year 22 or 23, the incubation period on the black mold antique pulp fiber pandemic will end & the outbreak will begin, simultaneously, blossoming around the world all within the same 12 hour period of time. Books will be reported to have 'gone black overnight, everywhere they were to be found.'

Personally, I think CGC is having encapsulation issues and big problems with their QC.

I'm not making a big deal about it but the recent weird shapes in the back of my slabs (indentation inner well on my last submission)...and these threads about warped slabs...something is not looking good.

I have 3 books at CGC being graded right now and I hope they don't come back like these recent issues.

+1

The whole lot of them will be called 'the Florida books'; & then, in year 22 or 23, the incubation period on the black mold antique pulp fiber pandemic will end & the outbreak will begin, simultaneously, blossoming around the world all within the same 12 hour period of time. Books will be reported to have 'gone black overnight, everywhere they were to be found.'

Thank you John Titor.

Common parlance within fandom in those days will include such phrases as 'it's in the mold', 'spore ridden networks', 'fungal veining patterns', & 'Floridian wet-mopped.'
And the occasional book that has been Tampa'ed with? (I know CGC is not in Tampa, but a good many people are.)