• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: BB 28 or SC 22?

Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?

132 posts in this topic

I prefer Showcase 22.

What a wealth of helpful information. :devil:

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said in favour of the book. (thumbs u

I'm also biased towards space-faring / cosmic characters - Green Lantern, Captain Marvel, Nova, Quasar, Warlock etc., so as a first appearance it's quite important to me.

Listen, I understand nostalgia and all that. And I get "investing" in comics even though I have zero interest in such pursuits.

But are there really people who like silver age DC super-hero books for artistic reasons?

I mean, come on now, they are terrible.

You've got Infantino and Kane and that's about it.

The stories are just god awful. As much as I love those two artists, I can't read a single issue of their runs on the Flash and Green Lantern, respectively, without feeling ill.

On a different note, I'm also not sure why people equate characters who have similar powers. Mr. Fantastic and Plastic Man, for example, are completely unalike. Reed Richards is not defined by his ability to stretch--he's the smartest man in the world. Plas is a former criminal. And comparing the Thing to the Heap makes even less sense.

To each their own. Kirby artwork is awful in my opinion. There is a huge drop off from Frazetta, Wood, and other EC artists to SA Kirby.

As far as the FF, as discussed above, all of their powers were rehashed from other characters. Sure, some of the details were different, but Reed's powers are the same as Plastic Man's. Stan added a twist by "modernizing" the characters non-superhero identities, but the power concepts came from elsewhere.......

Listen, I understand nostalgia and all that. And I get "investing" in comics even though I have zero interest in such pursuits.

But are there really people who like silver age DC super-hero books for artistic reasons?

Curt Swan is one of my all-time favorite artists.

Swan's decent. Very competent but a little boring.

When you say "a favorite," are we talking top 100 or top 10?

I own sc 22, but I have wanted bb 28 for a few years now. I would sell my sc 22, to fund a bb 28 purchase. I think both books are awesome, I think Hal Jordan is THE green lantern,but bb 28 ushered in the modern super hero team. To me that makes it far more important.

SC 22 also features the 1st appearance and origin of Hal Jordan the SA Green Lantern. Totally different from Alan Scott (GA GL). I think SC 4 is the biggest SA DC key

By a country mile. (thumbs u

However, since FF #1 is a B&B #28 knock off that makes it more significant than Avengers #1.

I was under the impression that the FF was more of an evolution from the CHALLS (Kirby connection and all that)? (shrug)

Check out the cover for COTU # 3: http://www.comics.org/issue/14516/cover/4/

Whoa.

Appreciate the info on the influence of the JLA on the FF.

I own sc 22, but I have wanted bb 28 for a few years now. I would sell my sc 22, to fund a bb 28 purchase. I think both books are awesome, I think Hal Jordan is THE green lantern,but bb 28 ushered in the modern super hero team. To me that makes it far more important.

..... which has been a market mainstay ever since. I had to vote for BB28 also....... although the SC 22 isn't far behind at all. I actually prefer not to rank mega keys..... they're usually very unique and have a cummulative influence on the early SA market. From my standpoint, however, not much screams " the heroes are back !" than BB 28....... although Showcase, as an ongoing title, added much validity to the re-emerging genre. To me , it's the heroes that typify the SA....... plus the CCA restraints (and challenges) on the themes.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friendof jesus) (thumbs u

Hey well, Marvel had horrible artists too, like Don Heck, Ayers, and George Tuska. (shrug) Who'd they have besides Kirby and Ditko that were so awesome? (Wally Wood on DD doesn't count, too short a tenure).

..... which has been a market mainstay ever since. I had to vote for BB28 also....... although the SC 22 isn't far behind at all. I actually prefer not to rank mega keys..... they're usually very unique and have a cummulative influence on the early SA market. From my standpoint, however, not much screams " the heroes are back !" than BB 28....... although Showcase, as an ongoing title, added much validity to the re-emerging genre. To me , it's the heroes that typify the SA....... plus the CCA restraints (and challenges) on the themes.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friendof jesus) (thumbs u

Does the fact that B+B # 28 has the first ever cover appearance of Aquaman sway any votes? Hmm? Hmm?

(Sway any votes over to SC # 22, I mean :devil: )

However, since FF #1 is a B&B #28 knock off that makes it more significant than Avengers #1.

I was under the impression that the FF was more of an evolution from the CHALLS (Kirby connection and all that)? (shrug)

Check out the cover for COTU # 3: http://www.comics.org/issue/14516/cover/4/

Clearly no one thing contributed to the conception of the FF. DC's success with JLA may have been the catalyst to develop a super team, but Kirby obviously modeled their appearance on the Challs with matching monochromatic outfits and no secret identities to hide behind a mask. The first issue's cover features a traditional giant Marvel monster to rope in the readers of the Marvel monster books, and Stan borrowed characters and powers from the Golden Age along with making one of the members a once human man-monster, another nod to the company's monster comic line. In addition Reed Richards is a brilliant scientist ( not co-incidently like Bruce Banner and Hank Pym who would follow), Lee's favorite type of brains over brawn protagonist in the pre-hero books.

I've mentioned this before, but if you look at both the heroes and villains in the first two years of Marvel's super-hero books, they are an evolution of the pre-hero monster books rather than an abandonment of the concept, with heroes that are brilliant scientists, or look like robots and monsters, or have insect powers, and villains that are creatures from space, somehow deformed, or some other sort of monster.

Curt Swan is one of my all-time favorite artists.

Swan's decent. Very competent but a little boring.

When you say "a favorite," are we talking top 100 or top 10?

I'm not claiming that he's a top 10 artist from a technical perspective, but he's the artist that I most closely associate with Superman, so he's top ten for me.

Hey well, Marvel had horrible artists too, like Don Heck, Ayers, and George Tuska. (shrug) Who'd they have besides Kirby and Ditko that were so awesome? (Wally Wood on DD doesn't count, too short a tenure).

DC had Kubert, Murphy Anderson and Neal Adams, Marvel had Gene Colan, John Romita and Bill Everett. Heck and Tuska weren't horrible, just not a good fit for superhero books, Tuska's crime stuff from the forties and fifties and Heck's pre-code output are quite good.

As for Ayers, well let's just say he was a decent inker.

DC had Kubert, Murphy Anderson and Neal Adams, Marvel had Gene Colan, John Romita and Bill Everett. Heck and Tuska weren't horrible, just not a good fit for superhero books, Tuska's crime stuff from the forties and fifties and Heck's pre-code output are quite good.

As for Ayers, well let's just say he was a decent inker.

But the comment was about SA super-heroes books, so for the specific question, "Heck and Tuska weren't horrible, just not a good fit for superhero books," = horrible. Bill Everett? What'd he do, a couple Sub-Mariner issues in the SA? He doesn't count. Not a big JRSR fan unless he's inking Gil Kane (like Swan, JRSR is decent, but too generic), but you reminded who I do like a lot: John Buscema.

(shrug) ...... and here I am having to admit I'd rather have an 8.5 copy of Challengers of the Unknown # 1 more than either of them...... what's wrong with me ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

(shrug) ...... and here I am having to admit I'd rather have an 8.5 copy of Challengers of the Unknown # 1 more than either of them...... what's wrong with me ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I go with BB28 hands down --- but just for you, JIMBO, one of my favs

showcase6cgc85fc_zps378c7076.jpg