• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 35 vs TTA 27

295 posts in this topic

Eh, Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to.

The first Atlas Antman is TTA27.

The first Marvel Antman is TTA35.

;)

27 is not an atlas book. The indicia on the inside front covers changed from atlas to marvel around.... mid 1960 IIRC. In addition, tta 27 is after ff1. I know what you are trying to say, but it's not correct to say that pre hero = atlas. Stan was already calling it marvel a full year and then some before ff1 and tta 27. The atlas name was already dead.

....the man known as Henry Pym has no relevance wats so ever on the Henry Pym of 35, other than the same name and shrinking formula, there isint much else, 27 portrays him as a "mad scientist" who just wants to perfect the serum, when all of a sudden in 35 he becomes a heroic person ready to take on the communist threat

Except that Henry Pym, the super-hero character, has frequently been portrayed as emotionally unstable and struggling with mental illness.

;)

27 is not an atlas book. The indicia on the inside front covers changed from atlas to marvel around.... mid 1960 IIRC. In addition, tta 27 is after ff1. I know what you are trying to say, but it's not correct to say that pre hero = atlas. Stan was already calling it marvel a full year and then some before ff1 and tta 27. The atlas name was already dead.

Not to mention the "MC" on the cover.

btw, whomever colored the cover of #27 should be shot. All of the artwork is colored grey except the ants, which are neon green? meh

btw, whomever colored the cover of #27 should be shot. All of the artwork is colored grey except the ants, which are neon green? meh

Is that why a pre-hero junkie like you doesn't want a copy?

My take on it is TTA 27 is the first appearance and origin of Ant Man, but he isn't called that yet.

TTA 35 expands the story; one could almost argue it plays like a 2 parter with 27. It does likely deserve a higher status on the totem pole than it has historically received.

So, I would say 35 is not the first appearance of the character, but the first mention of the name and first costume.

;)

Not to mention the "MC" on the cover.

The point is not the name of the publisher, but the type of comic under discussion. TTA27 is a pre-hero comic in style and content, whereas TTA35 is a full-fledged superhero comic, and arguably the first superhero comic to feature Antman.

I realize I'm in the minority in not feeling especially enthralled with the importance of TTA27 (never owned one as a consequence), but it's another viewpoint that's out there.

Is that why a pre-hero junkie like you doesn't want a copy?

Well I'd buy a copy for the price of a late run prehero with a drab cover, in other words 10% or less of what it goes for. To me as a PH book, it is not a very desirable one. And I have no interest in paying for one when its priced like a hero book. Even if 35 becomes acknowledged as a bigger deal than 27, 27 will never be cheap enough for me to want to buy it. It's no different than not wanting say a Superman 14. If it was cheap enough Id buy one but its not on my radar actively

Well you are talking to two prehero guys so we will call you out when you eff up on the details on re books of this period :kidaround: I understand that your point was the type of story, but you were incorrect to equate it with atlas :sumo:(shrug)

Not my favorite early Marvel coloring job, but i'll still take it over the tawdry garish coloring on most bronze age Marvel covers.

Issue 35 states- The Return of Ant-Man. Find me another first appearance that says its the return of the hero and I may reconsider. Until then Pym appears in 27, and returns in 35.

Issue 35 states- The Return of Ant-Man. Find me another first appearance that says its the return of the hero and I may reconsider. Until then Pym appears in 27, and returns in 35.

Must be a 4 issue limited series... it says so on the cover!

Marvel-Transformers-G1-Issue-80-End-of-the-Road_1301591682_1301927305.jpg

Shadroch, "The Return of the Ant-man" on the cover is irrelevant to those advocating for 35. But the fact that "The Man in the Ant Hill" is on the cover of 27 rather than Ant-Man, is material (to the "35ers").