• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TTA 35 vs TTA 27

295 posts in this topic

I've posted to this argument before...To me, this is like saying Amazing Spiderman #299 is the first appearance of Venom (1st Eddie Brock who later becomes Venom) or that Iron Man #118 is the first appearance of War Machine (1st Jim Rhodes who later becomes War Machine) or that Major Carol Danvers' appearance in Marvel Super-Heroes #13 is the first appearance of Ms. Marvel (nope, it's Ms. Marvel #1)...there are many more examples

Henry Pym, the scientist who later becomes Ant-Man, first appeared in TTA #27....

Ant-Man made his first appearance in TTA #35 :sumo:

2c

It seems like the opinions of many is determined by which book they own. I actually own both so mine is unbiased by the market value of these books... ;)

here's a link to help people make up their own minds. No doubt that its hank pym and that some elements are there (reducing & enlarging serums) but - he's not a superhero, he's not ant-man... just a "man in the ant hill" and its all just a science experiment gone wrong:

http://comicbookcurios.blogspot.ca/2011/05/tales-to-astonish-27-january-1962.html

I do think 27 has some significance, but to me given that the entire superhero persona is a retcon in 35, I consider 35 more important. Also, 35 is the first hank pym as a superhero, 1st antman, whatever you want to call it.

Hank Pym also takes on the role of other characters, such as yellow jacket, if ur saying 27 is ant mans first app than 27 is the also the same app of yellow jacket

ZING! Logic, meet your inevitable perfection!!

Silliness. TTA#27 has the character using his "powers". It is the real first appearance.

DG

I totally disagree. If you read 27 it's clear it's a straight up monster story. 35 retconned 27 into being a first appearance. 35 is the more significant book IMO by far

Does this mean you can't afford a #27 and you got a real good price on a #35?

DG

It seems like the opinions of many is determined by which book they own.

I see this accusation already being tossed around here a lot, but wouldn't the opposite make more sense? That people own the one they own because they thought it is more important?

I've posted to this argument before...To me, this is like saying Amazing Spiderman #299 is the first appearance of Venom (1st Eddie Brock who later becomes Venom) or that Iron Man #118 is the first appearance of War Machine (1st Jim Rhodes who later becomes War Machine) or that Major Carol Danvers' appearance in Marvel Super-Heroes #13 is the first appearance of Ms. Marvel (nope, it's Ms. Marvel #1)...there are many more examples

Henry Pym, the scientist who later becomes Ant-Man, first appeared in TTA #27....

2c

It seems like the opinions of many is determined by which book they own. I actually own both so mine is unbiased by the market value of these books... ;)

How is the following the first eddie brock who later becomes Venom? (shrug)

And back on topic, TTA 35 even says, "The Return of the Ant man" So how can the "Return" be the 1st appearance?

amazing299_21.jpg

Amazing%20Spiderman%20299-22.jpg

I'm in the TTA 27 camp - and have multiple high grade copies of both, so my bias has nothing to do with valuable.

Cooler book - TTA 35

Prettier book - TTA 35 (who loves that nasty putrid 27 color)

Better smelling book - TTA 27 (hey, it's older :insane:)

Better cover - TTA 35

first appearance of Ant-man - TTA 27. Q.E.D.

2c

Comparisons to Bronze and Copper age first appearances in an established Marvel Universe by supporting characters are irrelevant . This is the dawn of the "Marvel Age" with Ant-Man one of the founding members of both the Silver Age Marvel Universe and The Avengers. The costumed Ant-Man appeared quickly on the heels of TTA 27, early enough in the creation of the Marvel Universe that the concept of retroactive continuity was reserved for reimagining the histories of Golden Age characters like Subby and Captain America when re-introduced, not reconciling fantasy stories from the pre-hero era into the Marvel continuity years later.

For the record, I have never owned either book, and if I were collecting Marvel SA keys, I would find both important, but this was actually decided 50 years ago with the decision to title the story in TTA 35 "The Return of The Ant-Man".

2c

Comparisons to Bronze and Copper age first appearances in an established Marvel Universe by supporting characters are irrelevant . This is the dawn of the "Marvel Age" with Ant-Man one of the founding members of both the Silver Age Marvel Universe and The Avengers. The costumed Ant-Man appeared quickly on the heels of TTA 27, early enough in the creation of the Marvel Universe that the concept of retroactive continuity was reserved for reimagining the histories of Golden Age characters like Subby and Captain America when re-introduced, not reconciling fantasy stories from the pre-hero era into the Marvel continuity years later.

For the record, I have never owned either book, and if I were collecting Marvel SA keys, I would find both important, but this was actually decided 50 years ago with the decision to title the story in TTA 35 "The Return of The Ant-Man".

So you're telling me that FF #1 is not their first appearance since it says "Together for the first time in one mighty magazine" which implies that they were separate elsewhere before that.

TTA 27. It's clear that 35 - "Return of the Ant-Man" is the 2nd appearance. There really is no room for interpretation here. That being said, both books are fantastic.

2c

So you're telling me that FF #1 is not their first appearance since it says "Together for the first time in one mighty magazine" which implies that they were separate elsewhere before that.

The thing is, TTA has that extra something, namely that when it says "The Return of the Ant-Man," it's true.

TTA 27. It's clear that 35 is "Return of the Ant-Man" is the 2nd appearance. There really is no room for interpretation here. That being said, both books are fantastic.

Actually, there seems to be a football field worth of interpretation...have you read any of the responses in this thread?

2c

No... because he becomes an Ant-Man in the story. By your logic, Iron Man's first appearance is the red and yellow armor. TOS #39 would just happen to be Tony Stark in a gray armor. TOS #40 he just happens to be in a yellow armor.

DG

2c

No... because he becomes an Ant-Man in the story. By your logic, Iron Man's first appearance is the red and yellow armor. TOS #39 would just happen to be Tony Stark in a gray armor. TOS #40 he just happens to be in a yellow armor.

DG

How my logic lead you to that conclusion is beyond me. Both Tony Stark and his Iron Man suit appeared in TOS #39. Sure, Banner turned in to a grey Hulk in Hulk #1, but it was Hulk nevertheless.

Had Stark or Banner only appeared in their non-Superhero forms in those respective books, that would be an apples to apples compare and I'd be making the same argument as I am with TTA #35... But they didn't...

I could see much room for interpretation when we neglect to read what's on the cover.

Does TTA #27 say "The Superhero and future Avenger in the ant hill"?