• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Choose this sellers fate.

112 posts in this topic

Geez, you are tough Shad. If I received all the items I paid for and they were as advertised, and as long as the shipping terms were agreed, or if no shipping terms were made this would be a non-issue, then I would be happy and leave him positive feedback. I would just not order from him again, or if so I would ask more questions about shipping and terms in advance. I may add a note like "sloppy and overcharged shipping" along with the positive feedback.

Geez, you are tough Shad. If I received all the items I paid for and they were as advertised, and as long as the shipping terms were agreed, or if no shipping terms were made this would be a non-issue, then I would be happy and leave him positive feedback. I would just not order from him again, or if so I would ask more questions about shipping and terms in advance. I may add a note like "sloppy and overcharged shipping" along with the positive feedback.

really???

Getting charged 5 times the actual shipping cost and having completely shoddy and packing is fine with you because you agreed to it??? :facepalm:

I dont care what shipping amount i agree to. If i agree to $18 shipping, i dont expect to get raped. You arent supposed to fleece people on shipping on ebay no matter what they agree to. Shad agreed to $18 shipping so i assume he assumed he would get top notch packaging not $3.67 worth of packaging.

I'm always SHOCKED how little people expect and are willing to accept (shrug)

Like i said before, the last thing i sold on ebay was an Xmen Omnibus. The auction stated $9.99 shipping but it came out to like $6.50. I felt like a scumbag even keeping the extra $3 and change and refunded him that amount thru paypal. I sure as hell wasnt going to keep it for my gas expenses and bubble wrap. Thats built into the cost of the item in my mind. I'm not adding up every penny for tape, boxes, gas, etc. Different strokes for different folks i guess (shrug)

And just for the record, why in gods name would you leave a seller positive feedback when he overcharged shipping and gave you sloppy packaging???

That just makes ZERO sense to me ???

I think it is fairly simple. Give the seller the feedback he deserves.

In this case, you were charged a lot more for shipping than it cost the seller. Like 4x more. Most people would think that is excessive. You think it is excessive. So give him the number of stars on shipping and handling charges that reflects the level of how you feel about it.

eBay is set up so that you give feedback on each transaction. If there were 15 transactions in one box, then eBay hopes you'll leave 15 ratings. What eBay does with those ratings and how they count them - that's eBay's thing. Nothing you can do about that - so don't change what you would normally do.

I think the seller earned 15 (or was it 16?) positive feedbacks with 1 or 2 stars on shipping. Unless of course the seller agrees to your requested $10 refund.

This is what I would do. 1 star on shipping.

I would have no problem giving this guy negative or neutral feedback.

However, I would first let him know that I'm not happy with being gouged on shipping and would like a refund to cover the difference. It sounds like you've already done this, but I'd send another e-mail stating that "this is his last chance to make me a happy costumer".

Sellers shouldn't be allowed to price gouge on shipping, if they do and especially at this price point, they deserve the negatives and neutrals from dissatisfied buyers.

And just for the record, why in gods name would you leave a seller positive feedback when he overcharged shipping and gave you sloppy packaging???

Simple really. Shipping was stated, or at least agreed too, items were shipped and arrived in the condition stated. Sounds like a winning transaction to me! I think it is sour grapes to complain about shipping after receiving your items safely. Does it sound like the seller profited on shipping? Of course, but the shipping method was not stated and therefore the buyer, IMO, has nothing to complain about. OK, he can complain, but in my view the seller did NOTHING wrong in this transaction that would deserve anything less than a positive feedback rating. I have been both overcharged and undercharged on shipping before. But as long as I receive my items safely in a timely manner then I am happy. I also would never second-guess the reasons as to why a seller charges the amount he does for shipping. If I agree to the terms in advance then I have nothing to complain about.

I just wanted to add, or ask how many people here would, without being asked by the seller, offer to pay additional shipping after having received your items with a much HIGHER shipping cost than what you paid for? Say you paid $5 for shipping but then noticed the USPS postage label said it was about $20. This is the same scenario in reverse. This has happened to me many times where the seller way underestimated his shipping cost. I never volunteered to pay the extra. Nor would I ask for a refund of shipping costs overages as in this matter.

I think it is fairly simple. Give the seller the feedback he deserves.

In this case, you were charged a lot more for shipping than it cost the seller. Like 4x more. Most people would think that is excessive. You think it is excessive. So give him the number of stars on shipping and handling charges that reflects the level of how you feel about it.

eBay is set up so that you give feedback on each transaction. If there were 15 transactions in one box, then eBay hopes you'll leave 15 ratings. What eBay does with those ratings and how they count them - that's eBay's thing. Nothing you can do about that - so don't change what you would normally do.

I think the seller earned 15 (or was it 16?) positive feedbacks with 1 or 2 stars on shipping. Unless of course the seller agrees to your requested $10 refund.

I agree 100% the 1 to 2 stars for the shipping. Leave him positive feedback for all but ding him on the shipping feedback. That will count against him too without leaving negative or neutral feedback.

I just wanted to add, or ask how many people here would, without being asked by the seller, offer to pay additional shipping after having received your items with a much HIGHER shipping cost than what you paid for? Say you paid $5 for shipping but then noticed the USPS postage label said it was about $20. This is the same scenario in reverse. This has happened to me many times where the seller way underestimated his shipping cost. I never volunteered to pay the extra. Nor would I ask for a refund of shipping costs overages as in this matter.

I have! :gossip:

Like 2 years ago, Fingh sent me a box of like 20 slabs and WAY underestimated shipping. He charged me like $25-30 bucks and it ended up being like $50. I got the box, saw the sticker with the amount and immediately pm'd him demanding to pay the difference. i cant remember if he actually relented and let me but i'm pretty sure i just did it anyways since i had his PP address from paying for the books.

I dont like getting raped or people being raped by me, unintentional or not (shrug)

Simple really. Shipping was stated, or at least agreed too, items were shipped and arrived in the condition stated. Sounds like a winning transaction to me! I think it is sour grapes to complain about shipping after receiving your items safely. Does it sound like the seller profited on shipping? Of course, but the shipping method was not stated and therefore the buyer, IMO, has nothing to complain about. OK, he can complain, but in my view the seller did NOTHING wrong in this transaction that would deserve anything less than a positive feedback rating. I have been both overcharged and undercharged on shipping before. But as long as I receive my items safely in a timely manner then I am happy. I also would never second-guess the reasons as to why a seller charges the amount he does for shipping. If I agree to the terms in advance then I have nothing to complain about.

Well, not exactly.

Did they both agree on the amount? Yes.

But was the shipping "as stated"?

According to Shad, the seller said he would 'wrap the figures in bubble-wrap'. This statement implies secure packing, hopefully such as would be commiserate with $18.

But the seller didn't wrap the figures, either individually or as a group, in bubble-wrap. He just tossed a piece over the top of the items. That's not what they agreed upon.

Put it another way: if the seller had stated up front that he would pack the figures that way, would Shad have agreed to the $18 charge?

No offense but that sounds zzz backwards to me. Say i'm making my 1st purchase or am an i diot and agree to WAY too high a shipping price. That makes it ok to bend me over and rape me and charge me 5x's the actual shipping cost???

Short answer, NO it doesn't. Granted, shad isnt some 1st time rube but as he said, he assumed he would get 1st rate shipping and packaging. Not sloppy azz $3 and change packing and shipping. Im baffled how anyone can think this is just fine and dandy but like i said, this is why ebay SUCKS now! (thumbs u

Not the same thing.

It's the sellers responsibility to offer fair/accurate shipping. The seller will take the lumps on both sides of the spectrum if he can't manage to do this. You charge too much for shipping relative to cost? You get a dissatisfied customer and risk negative feedback. You charge too little and end up eating the cost? You're out money.

shadroch,

One question out of my own personal curosity. If the shipping service that was used was the same, but the items were packaged more properly, ie, individually wrapped, with the weapons in bags or wrapped with each figure, would you still feel upset about the price difference?

I feel that essential the issue comes down to a seemingly lack of care on the sellers part.

On the Bay, I bought a group of 4 2.5 inch action toy soldiers. The seller was selling a bunch of individual ones for $3-$5 with a shipping fee of $1.99-$3.99 each.

We communicated and he said he'd be happy to combine shipping and the final shipping would be based on weight.

I bought an addition 15 soldiers, so my final cost was $57, and the separate shipping added up to

$41, for a $98 total. He says make it $75 which will include shipping , and bubble wrap. Seems fair.

Box comes today, Its a shoebox filled with popcorn, the figures and a single 6X8 piece of bubble wrap across the top. On the box it says postage was $3.76.

I questioned him and he says the difference was for his packing, his gas and his time.

I'm going to hit him on the shipping expenses but the question is do I hit him once, or for all sixteen

items. Does it matter if a single buyer hits with more than one feedback?

For $18 shipping within the USA that should have included a well sealed priority box (if not 2) loaded with tons of bubble wrap.

Guy's being a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

Reminds of the time (about 10-11 years ago) I bought some cards off a seller (with large feedback) and just assumed he would combine shipping. It was 9 cards at $1 - $3 each with the shipping of $1 per card. He refused to combine so I paid for $9 shipping. The cards came in a 1st class envelope with postage on it for 55 cents. I paid 1600% the actual shipping cost. Fortunately the top holders they were in protected them from damage. It was the days when sellers could leave negative retaliatory feedback so I just didn't leave any feedback. I didn't want to ruin my perfect feedback rating. This was why I created a second buying account so I can blast away freely.

Like 2 years ago, Fingh sent me a box of like 20 slabs and WAY underestimated shipping. He charged me like $25-30 bucks and it ended up being like $50. I got the box, saw the sticker with the amount and immediately pm'd him demanding to pay the difference. i cant remember if he actually relented and let me but i'm pretty sure i just did it anyways since i had his PP address from paying for the books.

I dont like getting raped or people being raped by me, unintentional or not (shrug)

That's very nice of you and I may even do the same thing with a friend or someone I am familiar with, like a fellow forumite here, but odds are, most people will not volunteer to pay additional shipping if the seller undercharges. Heck, I have undercharged many times, by stating a flat fee and then shipping across country, or when the shipping fees go up unexpectedly or when I underestimated the weight. Oh well, too bad for me. I have also "profited" nicely by accepting the flat fee and shipping to someone close by. Also, some people factor shipping into the price of the item and I have always been perfectly fine with that too. Remember, we buyers have full control over what we are willing to pay. As others have mentioned here already, I'd give the guy a positive feedback rating and one star on shipping service. That sounds reasonable.

That's very nice of you and I may even do the same thing with a friend or someone I am familiar with, like a fellow forumite here, but odds are, most people will not volunteer to pay additional shipping if the seller undercharges. Heck, I have undercharged many times, by stating a flat fee and then shipping across country, or when the shipping fees go up unexpectedly or when I underestimated the weight. Oh well, too bad for me. I have also "profited" nicely by accepting the flat fee and shipping to someone close by. Also, some people factor shipping into the price of the item and I have always been perfectly fine with that too. Remember, we buyers have full control over what we are willing to pay. As others have mentioned here already, I'd give the guy a positive feedback rating and one star on shipping service. That sounds reasonable.

Fair enough. I just dont see what this guy did to deserve positive feedback. packing and charging 5x's actual shipping cost doesnt sound very positive to me. it sounds like the kind of sellers that have ruined ebay. Giving them positive feedback just keeps them thriving imo.

Like i said before, positive feedback isnt a god given right. When you cant package properly and screw people on shipping, that sounds like a neg to me (shrug)

When you cant package properly and screw people on shipping, that sounds like a neg to me (shrug)

(thumbs u

5x shipping costs, I want to reemphasize that.

The guy deserves a neg if he won't refund the difference.

Why is flipping a comic for a higher price & profit acceptable to all the wheeler-dealers on here but flipping freight for a profit is not?

I point it out because of my work background and it's funny that people here don't realize that most well run companies are generating a profit from their fulfillment operations by marking up freight charges. In many cases when selling to consumers - the amount courier companies "show" on a shipping label is inflated to avoid these sort of objections, their label's aren't reflecting the shipper's actual cost. (shrug)

Yes, some do it at cost or even eat some of the freight costs but you'll usually only see that in a product line like computer goods, footwear or clothing where they sell their goods at enormous margins. Anyone ever had a lawyer send a contract or other legal document by courier at cost?? (shrug)

Also, just to comment on this situation, I'd probably be a bit bugged by discovering a seller's hidden profit center but I doubt I'd ding his ebay stars if I had agreed to the rate.

Also one thing I'd point out to Shad is that in some cases a high volume seller might zone skip the postal service (using another provider) in that case parcel may only reflect destination entry pricing with the USPS even though the seller paid a service ($18) to take it from his door to his customer's door.

Because there is a demand for comics........there is no demand in being ripped off with a non-product.

Never had an issue or noticed over charging for shipping from stores. Maybe only $1-2 dollars.

It is because they have a business so they get cheaper prices on shipping but charge regular. I do not mind that either.