• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does rare equal valuable?

41 posts in this topic

So I had a difference of opinion recently and though to get some more opinions. Does rare mean valuable?

I was looking for some Battle Pope, it's "rare" but I dont consider it that valuable. Of course the seller did so we couldn't agrre to a deal, but I ask you fellow boardies, where do you fall in the debate?

Whoa guys, too talkative for my liking. I'm shutting this thread down. Bunch of jabber jaws.

Don't make us meme you. It could get ugly.

Rare can mean valuable. But thats just not always the case . Sometimes things are rare and noone cares. Sometimes things are perceived rare and after its found out thats not the case the price comes down .

It takes a combination of rarity and the amount of interest in the items to decide value . I think I have some Battle pope comics , but I never thought there was any interest , so to me there wasnt much value.

rare + demand = valuable

rare - demand = time to start the hype

Yup - boils down to basic economic theory. Rare don't mean squat without several someones wanting it.

rare + demand = valuable

rare - demand = time to start the hype

Yup - boils down to basic economic theory. Rare don't mean squat without several someones wanting it.

Rare + Attractive + Not widely known = High Potential :sumo:

your potential will get you about as far as your special purpose.

This is a formula I got from a colletor when I collected hockey cards, to explain why my 1/1 was worth far less than his... I loved it so much, I kept it! :D

"V = ®(D) / (PV - AC)(APr)

Value = Rarity times Demand divided by Perceived Value minus Actual Cost times Acceptable Profit"

Rarity is on a scale of 1 to 10, with graduations of .5. Demand is on a scale of 1 to 100, with single point graduations."

O.o

Something can be rare with no "value" if no-one wants it. :)

James