• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 257

24 posts in this topic

I've read a couple sites that say the new villains in the Gaurdians of the Galaxy movie are going to be The Collector, Ronan, and Nebula. The first two villains first appearances are already somewhat established. However Avengers 257 is pretty cheap. Does anyone think this could be a diamond in the rough or is the print run too high to be worth much?

I doubt this will be worth much. Print run is high, plus it's much more recent. Also, if I am remembering correctly, she only appears as part of a long running subplot for the first two or three issues she is in. So she's only on a page or two in each issue.

Gamora is only in a page or two in her first appearances. So are is Thanos and many other characters. This isn't relevant.

Age & commonality is relevant only up to a point. It all depends on popularity with fans. I think it will rise to a point but there will be a reasonable limit.

Gamora is only in a page or two in her first appearances. So is Thanos and many other characters. This isn't relevant.

Tell that to all the people with copies of Incredible Hulk #180.

not an accurate comparison

Gamora is only in a page or two in her first appearances. So is Thanos and many other characters. This isn't relevant.

Tell that to all the people with copies of Incredible Hulk #180.

not an accurate comparison

Because why? I'd hate to remain so irrelevant and inaccurate.

:blahblah::blahblah:

Wolverine appears on one page in his first appearance. Nebula appears on two pages in her first appearance. Her appearance is certainly more substantial than his, but the fact remains that fans prefer books with longer appearances and cover shots if possible. If Darkseid appeared on the cover of Jimmy Olsen #134 and was a major presence in the story, that issue would be worth significantly more than it is now. But because he's just in a couple panels and not on the cover, it's of less interest to fans. It's still of interest, but you can get one far cheaper than you could otherwise.

Here's a thread someone just posted the other day about buying a high grade Conan #23, the first appearance of Red Sonja. The very first comment in the thread is someone saying they prefer #24 because she's on the cover and it's a full appearance. And other people chimed in to say the same thing. #24 almost always gets more attention than #23 even though #23 is definitely her first appearance.

This stuff does matter. If #257 had the cover and story for #260 instead, it would have a much better chance of becoming a hot book.

I said that it is my opinion that age & commonality aren't relevant to how much a character's first appearance is worth - I don't think I said that you are irrelevant. So many examples prove that. It all comes down to popularity and buyers' acquiescence to a market price. New Mutants 98 is very common but is still an expensive book, because a lot of people want it and they accept without question that it is a $350 book at top grade. In fact, a high value is in and of itself a seductive factor in a book's appeal, compounding the already seductive draw of the book's historical significance.

As collectors we have a very skewed perception of what "rare" means. You may have never seen it but someone somewhere has a warehouse full of them.

Wolverine appears in the last panel of 180 and in grand fashion (cover, major story role) in 181. Collectors have chosen the latter book to dig on the character. Other character first appearances fitting this model are Black Bolt (FF 45/46), Carnage (ASM 360/361), and Squadron Sinister (Avengers 69/70). This is the "last page cameo followed immediately by first full appearance / cover appearance" category.

Red Sonja also falls into this category - but I didn't see in the thread mention of the nature of her appearance in 23 (LPC or cameo on another page).

Nebula appears on pages 11-12 in Avengers 257, then in 258, 259 (I don't have the issues in front of me so I don't have a panel count) and then as you say on the cover of 260 as a kind of ghostly image.

This is a different model than Wolverine. It is more like Thanos and Gamora, and nobody would doubt that Iron Man 55 and ST 180 are the books collectors have decided should be the most valuable of those characters' early appearances.

For me, the rule is: is the first appearance a very minor one followed immediately by a grand splash? Then let's as collectors favor the second one. But if it is a series of minor appearances with a gradual increase in profile, let's go with the first.

Avengers 257 is the book for Nebula.

I enjoy such topics, and mean no insult to anyone.

Gamora is only in a page or two in her first appearances. So is Thanos and many other characters.

I *really* wish people (who obviously have never read the books) would stop posting this misinformation. Thanos is featured in NINE (9) pages of Iron Man 55, including a full-frame intro, which is probably a record for a first appearance for a villain, and is definitely not a 'cameo' as many continue to strangely attest.

If you want a villain with a mini-appearance, just look at ASm 50 and the Kingpin. He's only in a few panels in a short aside/interlude that has nothing to do with the main story.

Gamora is only in a page or two in her first appearances. So is Thanos and many other characters.

I *really* wish people (who obviously have never read the books) would stop posting this misinformation. Thanos is featured in NINE (9) pages of Iron Man 55, including a full-frame intro, which is probably a record for a first appearance for a villain, and is definitely not a 'cameo' as many continue to strangely attest.

If you want a villain with a mini-appearance, just look at ASm 50 and the Kingpin. He's only in a few panels in a short aside/interlude that has nothing to do with the main story.

I think he was talking about Thanos' real first appearance, which is just a single panel in Jimmy Olsen #134.

:jokealert:

The problem is the fact he isnt on the cover. I have found this to be true in so many cases. You are right, people have not read this stuff. People want it to be Captain marvel 26 so bad because he is on the cover, and they got them on the cheap and want their investment to pay off.

Then, on the other hand, there are those of us who don't really care about the "true" first appearance debate (unless we own a copy of the current top dog and are selling ;) ). It all goes to the comic itself for my personal tastes. For example give me TTA #91 any day over TTA #90, just for the great (1st Cover App). :sumo:

Don't mind this old fanboy sitting in the corner holding his Marvel Presents wondering what happened to his Guardians. :(

You and me both, old timer!

Man, I'd sure be stoked about seeing Vance Astro, Martinex, and Charlie.

A friggin' Raccoon? Yeah, OK, I admit it. I'll watch that too.

Also, I just snagged an Avengers 257 NM+ for $3 so let's get this book moving! :)