• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone got a book pressed to a 9.9 or 10.0?

30 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone got a book pressed and received a 9.9 or a 10.0 grade?

I've probably submitted only 10 books to CGC in the last 11 years and had maybe 4 of them pressed, but I did get this this year :

WD199_zps94ed6ff6.jpg

Yes, it does happen. Just don't expect it to happen.

Unpressed books can also come back 9.9 or 10.

It's like the lotto - if you want to drop $X to try and win, go ahead, but don't be upset when all you get for it is a lighter wallet.

I've probably submitted only 10 books to CGC in the last 11 years and had maybe 4 of them pressed, but I did get this this year :

WD199_zps94ed6ff6.jpg

(worship)

Wow! that is really nice!!

Yes, it does happen. Just don't expect it to happen.

Unpressed books can also come back 9.9 or 10.

It's like the lotto - if you want to drop $X to try and win, go ahead, but don't be upset when all you get for it is a lighter wallet.

I see. CGC decides who gets the Golden Ticket!! lol

I've submitted around a thousand books the past 12-15 months. I've had maybe 20 moderns that were virtually flawless under a 5x loop. I've never got past 9.8. Maybe someday.

I've submitted around a thousand books the past 12-15 months. I've had maybe 20 moderns that were virtually flawless under a 5x loop. I've never got past 9.8. Maybe someday.

I'm really suspecting that 9.9s come about with greater attention reserved mostly for "special submissions"... do you think with all the work they have that they spend time trying to discern whether a comic should be a 9.9 instead of a 9.8? But oh yeah the grader is supposedly unaware of the submitter blah blah

Anyway, in response to the OP's original question, see this thread

I'm really suspecting that 9.9s come about with greater attention reserved mostly for "special submissions"... do you think with all the work they have that they spend time trying to discern whether a comic should be a 9.9 instead of a 9.8? But oh yeah the grader is supposedly unaware of the submitter blah blah

Baloney.

I've gotten a 9.9 on a one book submission. It has nothing to do with the size of the submission or who it was that submitted the book. :D

Baloney.

I've gotten a 9.9 on a one book submission. It has nothing to do with the size of the submission or who it was that submitted the book. :D

Cool. And yeah I hope I'm talking baloney.

... Unless you submitted a Killing Joke?

Baloney.

Just to stir the pot, it's in any business' best interest to take care of your best customers. If a book is between 9.6 and 9.8, they might go one way for an influential store, and go a different way for Joe, loyal but miniscule customer. :D

Do the graders know whose book their grading? If they do, then there's the potential for bias.

Baloney.

Just to stir the pot, it's in any business' best interest to take care of your best customers. If a book is between 9.6 and 9.8, they might go one way for an influential store, and go a different way for Joe, loyal but miniscule customer. :D

Do the graders know whose book their grading? If they do, then there's the potential for bias.

Supposedly they don't ... but how can they NOT know they are grading a brand new Underground pedigree... there's a 9.9 in that thread (I'm not saying anything untoward happened)...

Baloney.

Which is exactly why the graders do not know who submitted the books they are looking at. To prevent any bias.

They don't want to be like PGX, you know, an unethical grading company.

Baloney.

Which is exactly why the graders do not know who submitted the books they are looking at. To prevent any bias.

They don't want to be like PGX, you know, an unethical grading company.

If there is anything about CGC's grading that I take on faith, it is that the graders do not know whose books they are grading. So I personally do not buy into any conspiracy theories. If I really thought such existed, I should just quit sending books in to CGC to be graded. CGC has a strong connection to an auction house (Heritage) and now they have their own pressing service. If I do not believe the grading is blind, there is no way I should use their service.

But before Matt's business was purchased by CCG/CGC, he at one point had an article on his website that mathematically "proved" their ought to be more 9.9's. I think he analysed the ratios of 9.6's to 9.8's and the conclusion just sort of begged the question of why 9.9's were so incredibly rare.

My own personal favorite example of this is Spectacular Spider-Man 1 from 1976. CGC has graded 753 copies 9.6 and 235 9.8's. But not a single 9.9. Really?? Out of almost a thousand books NM+ or better, not one copy was Mint 9.9?? It just seems impossible.

One of the reasons it seems impossible is IF you are old enough to have been collecting in 1976, then you know this is one of the earliest books to get heavily speculated on by comic collectors. Unopened, unread boxes of 100 used to be sold in pages of the Comic Buyer's Guide.

Anyway, just my 2c. I don't believe in any conspiracies, but know I've sent a few (not many, but a few) moderns that just couldn't be any better.

so do we know if anyone checks the books interiors before they get to the graders? Allow me to stir it further. If it were more of an inside job here's what I would think: Could you slip in a tiny thin sheet of paper between pre-determined pages with a pre-shared secret code that tells the inside grader(s) this is me give this flawless 9.8 candidate a 9.9/10. This having all been set up early through secret shady meetings with the crooked grader(s) informing of the page # and code and the agreed upon percentage of sale. When the grader sees the book and in the normal process of grading it flips to the pre-determined page finds the note and casually discards it without reaction (in case he's being watched by cameras) but now having recognized the signal proceeds to proclaim it a 9.9 or 10. The graded book then likely passes to 1 or 2 other graders (with luck also in on it) for confirmation/validation. If it takes 2 out of 3 to confirm, the odds are not bad. If it fails to receive a 9.9/10 or fails to be graded by the insider, it's just a matter of crack and resub until it eventually reaches the right grader(s). To improve the odds and reduce suspicion, the submitter could send in multiples of flawless 9.8 candidates with inconspicuous codes made to look like sales receipts or phone numbers, lottery tickets, etc.

Or there's always the less subtle plausible deniability method of slipping in a few $100 bills between the pages with 9.9 or 10 written on them and alluding to future monetary submissions should the book come back a 9.9 or 10. I wonder if such a thing has ever occurred. Unless CGC follows the graders around 24/7 and force them to take annual polygraphs I don't see how this type of temptation can be prevented. If you can think of it...

so do we know if anyone checks the books interiors before they get to the graders? Allow me to stir it further. If it were more of an inside job here's what I would think: Could you slip in a tiny thin sheet of paper between pre-determined pages with a pre-shared secret code that tells the inside grader(s) this is me give this flawless 9.8 candidate a 9.9/10. This having all been set up early through secret shady meetings with the crooked grader(s) informing of the page # and code and the agreed upon percentage of sale. When the grader sees the book and in the normal process of grading it flips to the pre-determined page finds the note and casually discards it without reaction (in case he's being watched by cameras) but now having recognized the signal proceeds to proclaim it a 9.9 or 10. The graded book then likely passes to 1 or 2 other graders (with luck also in on it) for confirmation/validation. If it takes 2 out of 3 to confirm, the odds are not bad. If it fails to receive a 9.9/10 or fails to be graded by the insider, it's just a matter of crack and resub until it eventually reaches the right grader(s). To improve the odds and reduce suspicion, the submitter could send in multiples of flawless 9.8 candidates with inconspicuous codes made to look like sales receipts or phone numbers, lottery tickets, etc.

Or there's always the less subtle plausible deniability method of slipping in a few $100 bills between the pages with 9.9 or 10 written on them and alluding to future monetary submissions should the book come back a 9.9 or 10. I wonder if such a thing has ever occurred. Unless CGC follows the graders around 24/7 and force them to take annual polygraphs I don't see how this type of temptation can be prevented. If you can think of it...

Yeah, this is a plausible scenario. :eyeroll:

A few less Oliver Stone type conspiracy theories, and a little more reality, mkay? :screwy:

OK, well, this made me laugh. Always a good thing to laugh first thing in the morning.

To answer your one question, yes, the graders only have to grade. Someone else has already counted pages and checked interiors before the books hit the primary graders.

Your theory is way too complex. If there are any "special submitters, special grades" - and let me say again I do not believe that to be true - then it would most likely be dictated by managment. Having been a manager for a long, long time, I know that managers typically have access to information not known by the average worker.

CGC website describes the process where books are barcoded and then graded - and graders do not know whose books they are grading. But someone(s) most certainly does. I expect they have a position that would - in most businesses - be called a "Work Flow Manager". THAT person knows whose books are whose - and they know where/who they are with moment by moment. That is what the barcode is for - to be able to keep track of it as it moves along.

CGC also describes that there is a head or final grader and that person resolves any differences/disagreements in grades, In other words, they can overide the decision of the primary graders. Also, the final step in the grading process is "grading/quality control" where the books are reexamined one final time by a grader for accuracy of grade and labels and the holder inspected for defects.

IF I worked for CGC as a manager and I wanted someone's books to get to a certain grade, I would be consulting with the work flow manager to know where the books were at. Check on how they were grading. And if they were not at the grade I wanted, I'd then be talking to the head grader that finalizes the grade.

IF it's done, this is how. No secret notes and codes, no $100 bills stuck in a comic book.