• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone got a book pressed to a 9.9 or 10.0?

30 posts in this topic

Yes, a Chew #1 9.9

I even read it before I pressed it.

I'm sorry you had to read it first.

Me too. I decided to cut my losses after the first issue.

OK, well, this made me laugh. Always a good thing to laugh first thing in the morning.

Thank you I'm here all week. lol

Your theory is way too complex.

Well it was just a theory. Reality is often stranger than fiction so I could have shot for the moon there and brought aliens into it.

IF I worked for CGC as a manager and I wanted someone's books to get to a certain grade, I would be consulting with the work flow manager to know where the books were at. Check on how they were grading. And if they were not at the grade I wanted, I'd then be talking to the head grader that finalizes the grade.

IF it's done, this is how. No secret notes and codes, no $100 bills stuck in a comic book.

Aha! is this the "If I did it here's how I would have done it" OJ Simpson style admission of the crime? I do think your version is more plausible but the problem is that manager is also likely the first one under suspicion. He'd need a strong alibi. I think we got the basis for a real barn burner of a mystery novel going here. hm

I do think your version is more plausible but the problem is that manager is also likely the first one under suspicion. He'd need a strong alibi. I think we got the basis for a real barn burner of a mystery novel going here. hm

There is no "under suspicion" or "need a strong alibi". There already exists reasons to suspect. CGC has a connection to an auction houses (Heritage) and their own pressing/restoration service (CCS). If there is preferential treatment and grades, than it's done so at the management level at CGC, a corporate culture of doing so. Therefore no need for an alibi. Who is going to be doing the questioning? People on these boards?

I think CGC has done it's best to set up a system where the graders are blind and there are not preferential grades given to special clients. But if there is such going on, I doubt it will ever come out.

Yes, a Chew #1 9.9

I even read it before I pressed it.

I'm sorry you had to read it first.

Me too. I decided to cut my losses after the first issue.

The lady at our LCS said it was incredible and talked us into the first trade.....I got through it only through sheer will power.

It's probably simpler to game the system than any of these theories.

Think of it like the NBA. There are strict rules that everyone follow, but there are tight refs and loose refs. An auction house or experienced dealer might know this and sub when the "tight" grader is away doing on-sight grading, or on leave, semi-retired, etc.

I don't really think this happens. But if it did, this is a more realistic way to go about it.

It's hard to believe that the CGC would be more secure and clean of bias or politics than any government intelligence agency, other business, charity, or...pretty much anything you can think of.

I've worked for a lot of different companies in my life, some great some not.

But the one thing I've learned is that not every employee is perfect every day, and there are always holes in EVERY business.

Just wondering if anyone got a book pressed and received a 9.9 or a 10.0 grade?

I've probably submitted only 10 books to CGC in the last 11 years and had maybe 4 of them pressed, but I did get this this year :

WD199_zps94ed6ff6.jpg

OMG! that is impressive. I hope you drop that bad boy before the bottom falls out!