• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to NOT ship a book

18 posts in this topic

Generally all the books I have purchased from ebay have arrived in good shape and were well packaged. Today I cringed as I looked at the manila bubble envelope that arrived, it clearly had no backing board as it flapped loosely in the post office workers hand. The book was listed as a "8.5 Very Fine" 1964 Famous Monsters Yearbook, and unfortunately it now looks like this:

photo.jpg

Probably dropped it several grades.

lesson learned to insist that seller correctly packages the books, clearly everyone has different levels of optimism regarding how things will be handled during shipping.

Now on to the whole ebay/paypal/seller refund scenario....

Generally all the books I have purchased from ebay have arrived in good shape and were well packaged. Today I cringed as I looked at the manila bubble envelope that arrived, it clearly had no backing board as it flapped loosely in the post office workers hand. The book was listed as a "8.5 Very Fine" 1964 Famous Monsters Yearbook, and unfortunately it now looks like this:

photo.jpg

lesson learned to insist that seller correctly packages the books, clearly everyone has different levels of optimism regarding how things will be handled during shipping.

Sorry about your book. Your Batboy avatar rules!

i bought a mag a couple of months ago to get cgcd at heroes con and when it came in i could tell it would have graded 9.8 but the seller only used one piece of cardboard so one side was all messed up. thats why i just dont buy anything raw on ebay much anymore. its just a sick feeling when you get the package and can see its messed up before you even open it.

In messages to the sellers and on my paypal invoices I try to remind them in a humorous way so as not to imply that they are butt heads and don't know how to pack a mag or comic.

My stand by is: "Please pack between two stiff, thick pieces of cardboard and write 'Do Not Bend' on the envelope. My mailman is really a gorilla disguised as a human. Thanks!"

It usually gets a chuckle and gives them a reminder to pack well. So, far I haven't had any problems, although a few items could have been packed a bit better.

I haven't sold too much, but on the occasions that people have bought an FM from me they will tell you it came in bullet proof packing. There is nothing sadder than a FM ruined in the mail because of poor packing. :sorry:

- Mike

photo.jpg

Bubble mailers are not acceptable at all.

I cringed at the picture.......looks like you would actually have to bang the spine on a edge on purpose for it to look like that.

With a thick cardstock and thick spine like that, it was bent significantly to create those massive "tear" looking spine stresses. Very unfortunate. :pullhair:

Seller offered a refund less shipping. I am tempted to demand refund including shipping due to the negligence of sending the package in such a careless way. I did counter offer that he refund a portion of the price and I would just keep it as a reader copy, but no response.

HOW COULD SOMEONE THINK A BUBBLE MAILER IS A SAFE WAY TO TRANSPORT AND ITEM WHICH HAS VALUE BASED ON CONDITION??