• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nexus - Captial/First/DH/RDP

49 posts in this topic

Terrific series. What a great time that was for comics from independent publishers.

It really was, on both counts. First was as important as Marvel and DC to me back then.

Same here!

I still have my early books from Capital and First that I love so much. I just never got around to collecting the entire Nexus run.

You really should. It had a dip in art when Rude left, but the story was solid all the way through and Rude eventually returned.

Agreed, the story was absolutely solid the whole way through. Unlike Jon Sable which I felt Grell rushed both art and story at points .. and fragments of sub-plots were often forgotten about .. Baron built Nexus' world and topped it with believable characters which carried on even with the absence of the incredible art of Rude.

I can't think of any other series from this era, with that many issues, that I can recommend as highly.

Terrific series. What a great time that was for comics from independent publishers.

It really was, on both counts. First was as important as Marvel and DC to me back then.

Same here!

I still have my early books from Capital and First that I love so much. I just never got around to collecting the entire Nexus run.

You really should. It had a dip in art when Rude left, but the story was solid all the way through and Rude eventually returned.

Agreed, the story was absolutely solid the whole way through. Unlike Jon Sable which I felt Grell rushed both art and story at points .. and fragments of sub-plots were often forgotten about .. Baron built Nexus' world and topped it with believable characters which carried on even with the absence of the incredible art of Rude.

I can't think of any other series from this era, with that many issues, that I can recommend as highly.

It is my favorite series from the Copper Age, hands down.

Does anybody here own a copy of #1 (Capital) signed and limited to 500 copies? I would love to see a pic of it. I think the sig is on the inside.

I have one of them. Check out my "Hellzapoppin" Nexus set.

Wow, so cool that this thread exists! I'm a huge fan!

I've got this series in every format (even sprung for the overpriced hardcover collections from Dark Horse)...but still haven't given this a repeat reading all the way through. Part of me is afraid that it won't hold up well (very few of my '80s indie faves have). But this thread is encouraging...I will make a re-read my next comic priority...

Wow, so cool that this thread exists! I'm a huge fan!

I've got this series in every format (even sprung for the overpriced hardcover collections from Dark Horse)...but still haven't given this a repeat reading all the way through. Part of me is afraid that it won't hold up well (very few of my '80s indie faves have). But this thread is encouraging...I will make a re-read my next comic priority...

So far, so very good. Due to lots of other things going on, I've been taking it slow .. just now getting to the lead in to the 50th issue (second Bowl Shaped World saga). Ya, I haven't gotten to the Stan stuff yet, or the extended absence of Rude, but I've only read those once when they came out, so .. I'm still hopeful!

Hmm... Now I'm tempted to pull my mega-set out of my inventory (it's got 1-102 plus a bunch more) and give them a read.... can anyone give me a synopsis on what makes it great?

Sure! One continuous well scripted story with wonderful, living characters.

Extra bonus - the art of Steve Rude.

Hmm... Now I'm tempted to pull my mega-set out of my inventory (it's got 1-102 plus a bunch more) and give them a read.... can anyone give me a synopsis on what makes it great?

Sure! One continuous well scripted story with wonderful, living characters.

Extra bonus - the art of Steve Rude.

I read four or five more stories yesterday. It is a rich and compelling universe. Nexus is very powerful, but they have ways of explaining the way that power is generated in this milieu that resonate, and make him not all-powerful. The characters are interesting, Rude's art is gorgeous. I absolutely love this series, and I did not read it in the 80s.

One of my favourite series, and why it was an easy pick for me to suggest for the top Copper Age independents list.

When I was buying this series back in the day it was the first book I read, always.

I have them all still, but have never returned to them, I will have to make some time for a re-read at some point as I do have very fond memories.

Steve Rude is in my top 3 favorite artists of all time.

Humm .. I've just been made aware that Nexus by Baron and Rude has popped back into publication in Dark Horse Presents starting at #12. And at $8 a book .. ugh

:cloud9: and :P

I'd hate to be a new reader just getting into comics and hitting those prices for the first time.

Humm .. I've just been made aware that Nexus by Baron and Rude has popped back into publication in Dark Horse Presents starting at #12. And at $8 a book .. ugh

:cloud9: and :P

I'd hate to be a new reader just getting into comics and hitting those prices for the first time.

No kidding! Looks like there are 12 issues out now, and being an anthology book, that's a lot of dough for not a lot of story :( My OCD is going to make me buy them eventually though :cry:

Lookee what just came in the mail

nexus001_zpsb87c1c18.jpg

nexus002_zps4a19d8a3.jpg

nexus003_zps9f313dce.jpg

Going back and revisiting these again you can see Steve's progression as an artist.I've already got the full run up to Space Opera but I couldn't pass this set up for the price

Nice! :golfclap:

Just something especially cool about those. I remember paying $50 for my 1 back in the day :o heh. One day I need to replace my 2, mine has a lot of wear around the edges .. that red/orange seemed to fade for some reason.

Just something especially cool about those. I remember paying $50 for my 1 back in the day :o heh. One day I need to replace my 2, mine has a lot of wear around the edges .. that red/orange seemed to fade for some reason.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the most common defect with Nexus #2 magazine-size.

I had an Ebay seller send me one a year ago that was spotless that I won for $7. He kindly mailed it in an envelope with no protection after I paid $5 shipping.

:(

Unfortunately, that seems to be the most common defect with Nexus #2 magazine-size.

I had an Ebay seller send me one a year ago that was spotless that I won for $7. He kindly mailed it in an envelope with no protection after I paid $5 shipping.

Speaking of sellers improperly packaging Nexus books, did you ever get a 9.8 copy of #3 after I mangled the one I sent to you?

:cry:

Painful