• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RE-SLABBED??!

19 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I got a comic today in the mail from someone who obviously had very little experience in shipping graded books. It was poorly packaged and in an over-sized padded envelope. Without saying, you can already assume that the USPS utterly sodomized the thing en route. It has a nasty crack on the back side near the bottom, however I think that the comic remains intact. Wizard World is coming close to where I am currently stationed, I know that they typically have CGC reps there. I also know that a re-slab is like $8; My concern though is with the grade, can someone walk me through this? At a convention will I get it back same day or weekend? Will they attempt to re-grade it even though it is a simple crack? I have 3 books like this and dont know what to do, as they are aoo 9.8's. Any help would be greatly appreciated (and I have already searched the CGC "questions" page).

The reholder service is $12 - unless your book is worth $50,000 or more.

You can only pick the book back up at a show if CGC is grading onsite. A lot of shows they are taking submissions, but not doing onsite grading. Wizard World Chicago is the only convention showing on their website the remainder of this year with onsite grading. If they are not grading onsite they take the books back with them and they are shipped to you. I don't know if CGC takes resubmissions at the shows they attend - it's not actually listed as a service on their website (regarding shows)

With cracked slabs, you will get the previously assigned grade most of the time. CGC inspects resubs for signs of tampering - like taking the book out or switching labels. If the posts at the corners are secure, you will be fine as far as reslabing and getting the book back the same grade. So to with one post cracked. Two posts or more there is a likelihood you'll have to pay to have the book regarded.

If you only have one book - and it is worth $100 or less - you can ask for UPS return shipping which is $10. The problem with resubs is that if you have to use registered mail, the return postage is going to run around $30.

You should ask the seller to reimburse you. If you bought this on ebay and the seller doesn't agree file a claim regarding the damaged book. Or if the package is insured file a claim.

Good luck & welcome to the boards

Damn...what a headache. Maybe I will go through with it though. The USPS destroyed a CGC 9.4 Wolverine 145 Nabisco variant ( shifted off of staples within case, but case sustained no damage) and had to settle with me. That one made me sick... The 3 others I have that are damaged do deserve new cases. I really appreciate the response. Those guys looked like they were rough with peoples raw books when they took them and placed them in the standard storage boxes. I was hesitant last year when I stopped in on them. The kid (and I do mean kid) working the counter told me that they had stopped accepting modern books for onsite grading and that was all I had. I hope I can get it done onsite and be done with it. Maybe I'll call the help line I used to get my Military tickets last year (Army in IL on temporary assignment) and they will have more details about what exactly will be offered.

Damn...what a headache. Maybe I will go through with it though. The USPS destroyed a CGC 9.4 Wolverine 145 Nabisco variant ( shifted off of staples within case, but case sustained no damage) and had to settle with me. That one made me sick... The 3 others I have that are damaged do deserve new cases. I really appreciate the response. Those guys looked like they were rough with peoples raw books when they took them and placed them in the standard storage boxes. I was hesitant last year when I stopped in on them. The kid (and I do mean kid) working the counter told me that they had stopped accepting modern books for onsite grading and that was all I had. I hope I can get it done onsite and be done with it. Maybe I'll call the help line I used to get my Military tickets last year (Army in IL on temporary assignment) and they will have more details about what exactly will be offered.

They don't do on-site re-holders. You can drop it off at the con, but they'll take the book back to Fl for the re-holder, then send it back to you in the mail.

I have 3 books like this and dont know what to do, as they are aoo 9.8's. Any help would be greatly appreciated (and I have already searched the CGC "questions" page).

If the damaged case has damaged the books they will have to be regraded. Example the case was dropped and you can now see a dented corner. You won't get a 9.8 and you would have to pay to have it regraded.

Good luck and would be opening up some cases to get refunds/regrading fees.

Thanks. I sent the guy a pick of the envelope and comic. After a little discussion on cost, he said that he would refund the entire thing. It was a Dynamic Forces Captain America #34 in 9.8 unsigned edition. For some reason that's a favorite of mine. Oh well, at least the book doesn't look damaged. I hate they won't do it on-site. I could've sworn that on days 1&2 last year WizardWorld was doing on site submission and pick up. Thanks to all of you again

Thanks. I sent the guy a pick of the envelope and comic. After a little discussion on cost, he said that he would refund the entire thing. It was a Dynamic Forces Captain America #34 in 9.8 unsigned edition. For some reason that's a favorite of mine. Oh well, at least the book doesn't look damaged. I hate they won't do it on-site. I could've sworn that on days 1&2 last year WizardWorld was doing on site submission and pick up. Thanks to all of you again

They're doing on-site submissions, just not on-site re-holders.

The reholder service is $12 - unless your book is worth $50,000 or more.

You can only pick the book back up at a show if CGC is grading onsite. A lot of shows they are taking submissions, but not doing onsite grading. Wizard World Chicago is the only convention showing on their website the remainder of this year with onsite grading. If they are not grading onsite they take the books back with them and they are shipped to you. I don't know if CGC takes resubmissions at the shows they attend - it's not actually listed as a service on their website (regarding shows)

With cracked slabs, you will get the previously assigned grade most of the time. CGC inspects resubs for signs of tampering - like taking the book out or switching labels. If the posts at the corners are secure, you will be fine as far as reslabing and getting the book back the same grade. So to with one post cracked. Two posts or more there is a likelihood you'll have to pay to have the book regarded.

If you only have one book - and it is worth $100 or less - you can ask for UPS return shipping which is $10. The problem with resubs is that if you have to use registered mail, the return postage is going to run around $30.

You should ask the seller to reimburse you. If you bought this on ebay and the seller doesn't agree file a claim regarding the damaged book. Or if the package is insured file a claim.

Good luck & welcome to the boards

Unfortunately, I asked the customer service about the new reholder during onsite. They said no and they don't have time to do that. Only onsite grading. They have only three days to grade the books then on the fourth day they accept the submissions only before striking the booth down.

Bumping this so it does not get overlooked. CGC does not reholder books on-site.

Bumping this so it does not get overlooked. CGC does not reholder books on-site.

They do not accept reholder drop offs on site, either. You are forced to mail them in. I ran into that a couple of years back.

My apologies to the Original poster but while you guys are on the topic of on site grading I have a question. I have never done it before so how does it work? I have seen them at a show before but never had books done. Is there a limit? What if I can only attend the show for 1 day do I submit as soon as I walk in the door and hopefully get them back before the end of the day? Do they actually encapsulate them there and if they do can you watch them bc I think the process would be neat to see in person? Like I said Dustin85 my apologies about asking these in your thread I really do hope all goes well with the book and sorry that stinks.

My apologies to the Original poster but while you guys are on the topic of on site grading I have a question. I have never done it before so how does it work? I have seen them at a show before but never had books done. Is there a limit? What if I can only attend the show for 1 day do I submit as soon as I walk in the door and hopefully get them back before the end of the day? Do they actually encapsulate them there and if they do can you watch them bc I think the process would be neat to see in person? Like I said Dustin85 my apologies about asking these in your thread I really do hope all goes well with the book and sorry that stinks.

Unless you get the books to CGC very early on the first day of the show odds are you will not get the books back the same day of submission.

Thanks Gino2. No worries, that is an excellent question that I was wondering myself. From what some other folks have said, I think that is possible for regular submissions, just not for re-slabs. Of course, I think that WizardWorld may be one of the few or maybe the only one that does it from what I have read (please correct me if I am wrong).

Unless you get the books to CGC very early on the first day of the show odds are you will not get the books back the same day of submission.

Thank you sir!!!! (thumbs u I think I am only going to be able to make it Saturday, I should be there early hopefully but sounds like a no with getting the books back. No biggie, just trying to save on shipping if possible. How do you know if they are done anyways, do you have to keep visiting the booth over and over? Still wondering about the on-site encapsulating...I really would like to see that either way

Thank you sir!!!! (thumbs u I think I am only going to be able to make it Saturday, I should be there early hopefully but sounds like a no with getting the books back. No biggie, just trying to save on shipping if possible. How do you know if they are done anyways, do you have to keep visiting the booth over and over? Still wondering about the on-site encapsulating...I really would like to see that either way

Still wondering about the on-site encapsulating...I really would like to see that either way

CGC has a room off the convention floor. Think Fort Knox. You drop off your books and then check back at the CGC booth to see if they are ready. What happens in-between is not for the general public to view. Same goes for visiting CGC's offices. If you have books to drop off the average visit consists of seeing the lobby of the building.

Still wondering about the on-site encapsulating...I really would like to see that either way

CGC has a room off the convention floor. Think Fort Knox. You drop off your books and then check back at the CGC booth to see if they are ready. What happens in-between is not for the general public to view. Same goes for visiting CGC's offices. If you have books to drop off the average visit consists of seeing the lobby of the building.

Fort Knox :applause: thats awesome!!! Thanks for the answer Joey you da Man (thumbs u