• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this Frank Frazetta?

64 posts in this topic

I already pm'ed you but I will restate it here.

The only thing I do not like about this is the solo "t"'s as the sig.

I do not remember seeing that as his sig. His work prior to midwood has his full sig.

Even his sketches have his full sig.

Also for those unaware, midwood was a publishing company that did erotic books.

He did quite a lot of inserts for them.

If it's real, it was just a blocking in start of a painting that for whatever reason, never was worked on again. Maybe she could be persuaded to pose once, but never again.

Besides the fact that the anatomy is off every Franzetta painting I have ever seen is signed Franzetta in -script, Ive only ever seen the interlocking FF on his sketches, never on a painting.

I'm imagining the night Frank and Ellie were at home sharing a bottle of wine, got into a little role play, artist and model... yadda, yadda, yadda... the painting was thrown into a corner and never worked on again.

It looks like it was painted on a piece of wood or wood paneling, which is something Frazetta was known to do.

Given the other clues it has going on, I can't say for certain that it's not genuine.

Maybe it was something he painted completely out of his own style. Maybe he did it with his left hand.

Someone here might have the knowledge to answer. If it's a real Frazetta, it might be picked up on the cheap.

It looks like it was painted on a piece of wood or wood paneling, which is something Frazetta was known to do.

Given the other clues it has going on, I can't say for certain that it's not genuine.

Maybe it was something he painted completely out of his own style. Maybe he did it with his left hand.

Someone here might have the knowledge to answer. If it's a real Frazetta, it might be picked up on the cheap.

After his stroke he started painting with his left. I guess this could be his first attempt?

Everything except the painting itself seems to point to Frazetta. That painting sucks though, it's clumsy and amateurish ... it's hard to imagine him doing it and letting it get out the door.

My question is this. Why wouldn' the seller have a pro art dealer who specializes in this type of product take a look at it. Or, just send a pic/email to the Frazetta estate and see if his wife or someone can verify it.

My question is this. Why wouldn' the seller have a pro art dealer who specializes in this type of product take a look at it. Or, just send a pic/email to the Frazetta estate and see if his wife or someone can verify it.

That's the way to verify.

After his stroke he started painting with his left. I guess this could be his first attempt?

First issue with that would be the decades between the 2 events. 40 years ish.

Midwood was 1963.

Stroke was 2000ish.

Also for those saying that the piece looks amateurish..........1) I kind of agree since he already signed it as if it was finished work. 2) but it could also be a work in progress. Every painter's piece looks horrible during the process since they are blocking in and basically rendering it until they are satisfied. 3) it could be a quick painting he did in 10-15 mins.

Who knows.

Maybe it was just a color study that he had laying around for years and shipped it off to the publisher when they needed a picture and he needed to meet a deadline.

The colors used in the picture show a level of expertise way above that of a novice.

It's pretty common to have an artist work something out roughly as this one is.

That, and a birthday thread. :thumbsup:

That, and a birthday thread. :thumbsup:

C'mon, you know you love to see it on your special day. :foryou: