• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2023 at 9:55 AM, bc said:

I have no idea.

Now I got something to research this weekend! (thumbsu

-bc

I’ve got a couple books with the same date stamp. Our airport here in Wichita used to be called midcontinent airport. I’m just wondering if we had a news stand at the airport that put that date stamp on those books.

On 1/27/2023 at 11:01 AM, jayhawker said:

I’ve got a couple books with the same date stamp. Our airport here in Wichita used to be called midcontinent airport. I’m just wondering if we had a news stand at the airport that put that date stamp on those books.

Interesting...hadn't thought about an airport code.

I know the Recil Macon pedigree had the "Mid C" distributor code handwritten on the covers of some books and those were from central Texas (and from a much earlier period). NOT saying that this has anything to do with the actual pedigree, just found the coding very similar.

Couple of leads to pursue once I activate my Guinness Powers later tonight :)

-bc

On 1/27/2023 at 11:10 AM, bc said:

Interesting...hadn't thought about an airport code.

I know the Recil Macon pedigree had the "Mid C" distributor code handwritten on the covers of some books and those were from central Texas (and from a much earlier period). NOT saying that this has anything to do with the actual pedigree, just found the coding very similar.

Couple of leads to pursue once I activate my Guinness Powers later tonight :)

-bc

Good luck

On 1/27/2023 at 9:15 AM, KirbyJack said:

Hey! I can play today!

0A02914F-5F91-473B-B4B5-0EBA81223A5F.thumb.jpeg.b7befce82b757bd3ff50dac9107ebd4c.jpeg

Buying this one was a really big deal for me. First “key”, first higher dollar book, etc.

I really dig this issue and never thought it got it's due, but now it's catching up a little bit. I remember when Heritage had the original art to the entire story!!! :whatthe: The splash page was just so cool to see!!!  :banana:

On 1/28/2023 at 7:38 AM, DR.X said:

Anyone check out the Tales to Astonish pre-hero run My Comic Shop has listed. Some of the books are from the Nicholas Cage collection. Lots of upper grade issues, and prices? :whatthe:

Think those are from a boardies collection - can't remember if it was Transplant or Figment.

-bc

On 1/28/2023 at 6:38 AM, DR.X said:

Anyone check out the Tales to Astonish pre-hero run My Comic Shop has listed. Some of the books are from the Nicholas Cage collection. Lots of upper grade issues, and prices? :whatthe:

I didn't pull up GPA or anything, but those prices aren't tempting me very much. 2c

On 1/28/2023 at 12:31 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanks for pointing those out!  Nice books, but I agree they are all priced waaaay too high.

I'm thinking the exact opposite - I hope they all sell !

-bc

On 1/28/2023 at 10:50 AM, Frisco Larson said:
On 1/28/2023 at 6:38 AM, DR.X said:

I didn't pull up GPA or anything, but those prices aren't tempting me very much. 2c

I did not know prices jumped that high on these upper grade pre hero's. Wow.

giphy.gif