• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2023 at 9:33 AM, Frisco Larson said:

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

These late stage PHMs were much easier to acquire in my preferred grade range. That book was from a Clink auction back in 2013. According to GPA, another 9.0 sold in 2021 for over 3x what I paid. There are 14 9.0's on the census and a lone 9.2 (which last sold for $2,250 back in 2014).

Just wait until next week :devil:

-bc

On 1/31/2023 at 9:42 AM, bc said:

These late stage PHMs were much easier to acquire in my preferred grade range. That book was from a Clink auction back in 2013. According to GPA, another 9.0 sold in 2021 for over 3x what I paid. There are 14 9.0's on the census and a lone 9.2 (which last sold for $2,250 back in 2014).

-bc

Oh, I know they exist in the higher grades and that the farther forward they go, often times the more plentiful they are, but I still Marvel at how nice they are when I see them posted!!! At a quick glance, it would seem that my tippity topper is an 8.5 Strange Tales #93 UK copy which I seem to recall @Get Marwood & I say are difficult to find in grade (UK copies, not that issue specifically). I've got a decent handful of 8.0 copies which is generally as high as I need to go. You've got an awesome array of high-grade copies bc and I really enjoy seeing them posted here!!!  :banana:

Strange Tales 93 8.5 w UK.jpg

On 1/31/2023 at 10:42 AM, bc said:

-bc

I set a little goal for myself to get JIM #70-82 and TOS #31-38 in 8.0 instead of my usual 7.0.  So far I'm down to needing just the following to finish the upgrades:

• JIM #71, 73, 74, and 75
  • JIM #76 regular edition (I have the only 8.0 of the price variant!)
  • TOS #31, 32, and 36

I haven't yet thought about doing this for Strange Tales or TTA ... Strange Tales in particular is tough enough to get in 7.0.  I just happened to see more plentiful 8.0s for JIM and TOS so I went for it.

(Shameless plug) I have all of the above in 7.0 if anyone wants to trade down!!!

:flipbait:

On 1/31/2023 at 2:48 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Strange Tales in particular is tough enough to get in 7.0

True dat!

That's the title that seems to be the most expensive in upper grades and the toughest to even find one. Always attribute that to it being such a long running title over several collecting era's (PCH/Post-Code/PHM/Superhero) that brings a larger following.

Great job on the upgrades!

-bc