• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,213 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2024 at 3:53 AM, Frisco Larson said:

There are some covers that just stand out as favorites to me. I have many multiples of this book as it's my favorite of all PHM comics! Here are a few examples ... 

Journey into Mystery 58 8.0 ow-w.jpg

Journey into Mystery 58 raw pence vg mine.jpg

Journey into Mystery 58 5.0 ow-w Zombie British copy.jpg

Journey into Mystery 58 front Spanish.jpg

I know what you mean, there's just something about it.  Great book

On 7/9/2024 at 1:55 PM, Bronty said:

I know what you mean, there's just something about it.  Great book

Thanks! From an artistic standpoint, it represents 3 of my favorite Silver Age Marvel artists: Steve Ditko cover, Jack Kirby splash page, Don Heck rest of the RRO story art! It was also interesting that they used the Kirby splash page as the cover for Zombie #3!!!

Ah right!   I knew I'd seen that cover somewhere.    Its certainly curious.

I wonder if the people with Godzilla trademark didn't care for the cover image?   

On 7/9/2024 at 2:03 PM, Bronty said:

Ah right!   I knew I'd seen that cover somewhere.    Its certainly curious.

I wonder if the people with Godzilla trademark didn't care for the cover image?   

My guess is that they probably never became aware of it. If it had been an ongoing title of that specific character, they'd have likely been all over it, but a one off like that ... probably never even saw it. 

On 7/9/2024 at 2:06 PM, Bronty said:

^ total speculation on my part btw, but if you swapped out the Journey into Mystery logo with a godzilla logo, I wouldn't blink.

Oh absolutely!!! That's probably why I love it so much!!! I'm a big Godzilla fan!!! He doesn't really look like the cover in the story art. This is page 2 & 3 from the black and white Zombie #3. He looks MUCH more like a dragon than Godzilla here!

Zombie 3 interior 1 copy.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2024 at 3:39 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Oh absolutely!!! That's probably why I love it so much!!! I'm a big Godzilla fan!!! He doesn't really look like the cover in the story art. This is page 2 & 3 from the black and white Zombie #3. He looks MUCH more like a dragon than Godzilla here!

Zombie 3 interior 1 copy.jpg

ah yes.   I'd forgotten that the interiors were like that.  

Still, its odd.   Do you have any thoughts on why they used a different cover?   I guess its possible that the cover was already lost / misplaced / not returned from the printer.

Edited by Bronty

On 7/9/2024 at 3:38 PM, Bronty said:

ah yes.   I'd forgotten that the interiors were like that.  

Still, its odd.   Do you have any thoughts on why they used a different cover?   I guess its possible that the cover was already lost / misplaced / not returned from the printer.

I honestly have no idea. Possibly so this issue stands out as new and original, being that this artwork was never featured as a cover before, to my knowledge.  (shrug)

So, @bc, was condition/value the only factor that determined what would be kept, or are there some favorite issues that you couldn’t let go?

When I sold, I knew I’d keep TTA  13, 15, 29; ST 75, 95, 89; TOS 15, 9; JIM 62.

Edited by KirbyJack

On 7/10/2024 at 10:33 AM, KirbyJack said:

So, @bc, was condition/value the only factor that determined what would be kept, or are there some favorite issues that you couldn’t let go?

When I sold, I knew I’d keep TTA  13, 15, 29; ST 75, 95, 89; TOS 15, 9; JIM 62.

Actually, laziness has been the determining factor.

I still have a packed shortbox full of raw PHMs. I planned on a sales thread here to sell the books, but between work & summer activities, I'm not making much progress on the scanning, grading and writeups needed to create the thread.

When I do get some time to work on it, I wind up reading 4 or 5 of them instead or messing around with scanner settings for an hour. 

I'm sure I'll keep a few - there's a little room left in my Timely slab shortbox. Want to get down to a single shortbox by the end of the year.

-bc