• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Not quite what most regard as typical pre-hero, but it has Kirby and Ditko art---that makes it pre-hero for me.

WorldOfFantasy17.jpg

Angelo

Hey Angelo, nice book!

Actually the Kirby/Ditko World of Fantasy (as well as Strange Worlds) are very much Pre-Hero Atlas books (although decidedly sci-fi as opposed to Pre-hero giant monster).

I think they don't carry the weight of the others because their particular series were cancelled. Enjoy!!!

--Steve

I think I'm more with Watcher on this one, though it is admittedly a gray area. With regards to publisher they need to be considered Marvels because they were published at the same time as TTA, TOS, etc. Second, there was a mix of monsters and sci-fi until Marvel shifted over to nearly all monsters. Take a look at the issues in the WoF title that Watcher posted from and there are a couple monster covers. Or consider TOS 2 which is classic Ditko sci-fi. I find them as interesting as the 6 main titles as their interiors are usually fairly similar with lots of Kirby, Ditko, Heck with occasional guest shots by Heath, Sinnott etc.

I would say with certainty that Strange Worlds and the Ditko/Kirby issues of World of Fantasy are definitely "pre-hero".

I would not limit the term "pre-hero" to just monster covers or to just issues of the "BIG 4" before their respective heroes took over the books.

The term "pre-hero" means to me any late 50s/early 60s Atlas fantasy books with stories by Kirby/Ditko or Heck.

Bill

Not quite what most regard as typical pre-hero, but it has Kirby and Ditko art---that makes it pre-hero for me.

WorldOfFantasy17.jpg

Angelo

Hey Angelo, nice book!

Actually the Kirby/Ditko World of Fantasy (as well as Strange Worlds) are very much Pre-Hero Atlas books (although decidedly sci-fi as opposed to Pre-hero giant monster).

I think they don't carry the weight of the others because their particular series were cancelled. Enjoy!!!

--Steve

I think I'm more with Watcher on this one, though it is admittedly a gray area. With regards to publisher they need to be considered Marvels because they were published at the same time as TTA, TOS, etc. Second, there was a mix of monsters and sci-fi until Marvel shifted over to nearly all monsters. Take a look at the issues in the WoF title that Watcher posted from and there are a couple monster covers. Or consider TOS 2 which is classic Ditko sci-fi. I find them as interesting as the 6 main titles as their interiors are usually fairly similar with lots of Kirby, Ditko, Heck with occasional guest shots by Heath, Sinnott etc.

I was agreeing with him as well, just pointing out that these don't get the attention they probably deserve because they were cancelled, whereas the ongoing series eventually spawned hero books.

I typed it out too fast without being very clear. I think these are great books, they just get overlooked by a lot of collectors. But they are as legitimately "pre-hero" as the other 6.

Steve

I think these are great books, they just get overlooked by a lot of collectors. But they are as legitimately "pre-hero" as the other 6.

Steve

On that, I am in complete agreement.

wof2fr.jpg

sss15fr.jpg

I think these are great books, they just get overlooked by a lot of collectors. But they are as legitimately "pre-hero" as the other 6.

Steve

On that, I am in complete agreement.

wof2fr.jpg

sss15fr.jpg

I sound like a broken record, but those are some sweet books hail.gif

Angelo

WorldOfFantasy17.jpg

--Steve

I like the older Atlas titles, but collecting Marvel for me begins when Atlas became "the company with no name" after the 1957 Atlas implosion. This period is signifcant for not only the folding of so many comic book titles but also for the death of Maneely and the arrival of Kirby, Ditko and Heck. You can witness Marvel arising out of the ashes of Atlas.

Dennis

--Steve

I like the older Atlas titles, but collecting Marvel for me begins when Atlas became "the company with no name" after the 1957 Atlas implosion. This period is signifcant for not only the folding of so many comic book titles but also for the death of Maneely and the arrival of Kirby, Ditko and Heck. You can witness Marvel arising out of the ashes of Atlas.

Dennis

Yes, those are great points. thumbsup2.gif

It's sad that Maneely had to die in order for Kirby and Ditko to get more work, which ultimately helped launch the Marvel Universe as we know it.

here's one of his covers I love, from 1956

1888725-marveltales152.jpg

1888725-marveltales152.jpg.a0245e2e460dd9adab5ce69f2e9882f8.jpg

Edited by Rhino

Gotta keep this thread alive....

This is probably my favorite Pre-Hero story in terms of the number and quality of the monsters in the story -- about a comic book artist who draws monster comics and the monsters come to life! If OA of this story ever hits the market I'm gonna have to mortage my house....

TTA-20-75SW.jpg

Just reading some comments on this thread. I have to agree that World of Fantasy is a great series and should be included as the real beginnings of the pre-hero Marvel age. This series basically ended when TTA & TOS started, so in my minds eye it was sort of replaced by them.

The fact that this title did not last and introduce any Super-Hereos is why it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

It was a great series!!!!

Just reading some comments on this thread. I have to agree that World of Fantasy is a great series and should be included as the real beginnings of the pre-hero Marvel age. This series basically ended when TTA & TOS started, so in my minds eye it was sort of replaced by them.

The fact that this title did not last and introduce any Super-Hereos is why it doesn't get the respect it deserves.

It was a great series!!!!

You are absolutely correct. Same goes for Strange Worlds. (thumbs u

Hey, remember gang, the pre-hero era doesn't end immediately after the heroes took over the books. TOS, TTA, ST, and JIM still had fantastic Ditko and Heck back-up stories for about a year into the hero's run -- well into late 1963.

JIM had non-Thor fantasy stories up to 99, TOS up to 48, TTA up to 51, and ST up to 113.

These are truly the most overlooked issues.

Bill