• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Rhino how many copies of TOS #8 do you have?

Not nearly enough....

:grin:

That TOS 19 is a great book -- excellent monster plant cover!

I looked at this thread for 2 hours last night and Rhino I know that you have at least 2 CGC copies so please sell me one!

Edited by CarolinaComix

Rhino how many copies of TOS #8 do you have?

Not nearly enough....

:grin:

That TOS 19 is a great book -- excellent monster plant cover!

I looked at this thread for 2 hours last night and Rhino I know that you have at least 2 CGC copies so please sell me one!

I sold both CGC copies a while ago in order to fund art purchases. :sorry:

They are probably the only books I regret selling. Favorite cover of all the pre-hero books. I still have a nice stash of goodies that I don't plan to sell, and at some point I'll find a nice copy of #8, but it's tough. One of the toughest in fact.

It's very disheartening to think that the original art to all these pre-hero books doesn't exist. Of course there are some who say it's out there but was stolen from the Marvel offices (along with many other key Silver Age covers). If that rumor is true I hope they see the light of day sometime. :wishluck:

Oh, and anybody who spends 2 hours reading a pre-hero thread is A-OK in my book! (thumbs u

Always good to have another pre-hero Marvel fan in da house!! :banana::headbang:

I think I posted this a while back but it's another fave. It's just such an odd cover....

TTA22.jpg

Edited by Rhino

Hi Rhino, just reading some of your comments about the pre-hero original art. I don't know what doesn't exist, maybe it's substantial, but there is some pre-hero original art available from time to time. Just keep checking Heritage and other types sites and you'll come across it once in while.

Anyway great thread, I like a lot of pre-hero Marvels myself. Especially the "Amazing Books".

Hi Rhino, just reading some of your comments about the pre-hero original art. I don't know what doesn't exist, maybe it's substantial, but there is some pre-hero original art available from time to time. Just keep checking Heritage and other types sites and you'll come across it once in while.

Anyway great thread, I like a lot of pre-hero Marvels myself. Especially the "Amazing Books".

Oh some art definitely exists -- the splash pages and panel pages to many pre-hero issues are in the hands of dealers and collectors (I own some pre-hero art -- see my ComicArtFans gallery linked in my Sig).

But oddly none of the pre-hero monster covers are known to exist. Not one. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Nobody seems to know what happened to them. (shrug)hm:(

There are plenty of theories:

1. They were thrown away. Remember Marvel/Atlas was in serious trouble at the time of the pre-hero monster genre and almost closed its doors. So the theory is that they tossed the art because they didn't have any place to store it, or it wasn't worth the cost to pay for storage. The odd thing about this is that so many complete stories of pre-hero monster original art exist. So if the complete stories are around, what happened to the covers? Why throw away the covers but keep the interiors? (shrug) Some people have suggested that maybe they got damaged and were thrown away (a leak or flood at the warehouse where they were stored) but again it seems odd that only the covers are gone, not the interiors.

2. They were given away to people who came by the offices of Marvel. This is a common theory but if all the covers were given away, surely some of them would have popped up for sale or at least be in someone's collection who posts on ComicArtFans or other sites. hm

3. They were stolen from the Marvel storage facility and offices. This is another common theory. But lots of art that didn't get returned to Jack Kirby in the 1980s after his lawsuit has turned up on the market or in collections, so again it's odd that none of these pre-hero monster covers have turned up anywhere. If somebody has them, you'd think that someone else would know about it.

Maybe some day they will turn up. After all, people used to think all the Timely art and old DC covers were destroyed and yet a couple of early Batman and Superman covers have turned up and so has some Timely art, so maybe there's still hope.... :wishluck:

Oh some art definitely exists -- the splash pages and panel pages to many pre-hero issues are in the hands of dealers and collectors (I own some pre-hero art -- see my ComicArtFans gallery linked in my Sig).

But oddly none of the pre-hero monster covers are known to exist. Not one. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Nobody seems to know what happened to them. (shrug)hm:(

There are plenty of theories:

1. They were thrown away. Remember Marvel/Atlas was in serious trouble at the time of the pre-hero monster genre and almost closed its doors. So the theory is that they tossed the art because they didn't have any place to store it, or it wasn't worth the cost to pay for storage. The odd thing about this is that so many complete stories of pre-hero monster original art exist. So if the complete stories are around, what happened to the covers? Why throw away the covers but keep the interiors? (shrug) Some people have suggested that maybe they got damaged and were thrown away (a leak or flood at the warehouse where they were stored) but again it seems odd that only the covers are gone, not the interiors.

2. They were given away to people who came by the offices of Marvel. This is a common theory but if all the covers were given away, surely some of them would have popped up for sale or at least be in someone's collection who posts on ComicArtFans or other sites. hm

3. They were stolen from the Marvel storage facility and offices. This is another common theory. But lots of art that didn't get returned to Jack Kirby in the 1980s after his lawsuit has turned up on the market or in collections, so again it's odd that none of these pre-hero monster covers have turned up anywhere. If somebody has them, you'd think that someone else would know about it.

Maybe some day they will turn up. After all, people used to think all the Timely art and old DC covers were destroyed and yet a couple of early Batman and Superman covers have turned up and so has some Timely art, so maybe there's still hope.... :wishluck:

Thanks for the interesting post! (thumbs u (thumbs u I hope they weren't thrown away that would make me so sad. :sorry:

I remember hearing (several years ago) that Marvel did throw them away and that they also gave some away to fans who would come by their offices on Madison Ave.

If the latter were true you would expect that some would have turned up by now, so you are right in assuming since they haven't turned up by now that they are probably lost forever.

But oddly none of the pre-hero monster covers are known to exist. Not one. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Nobody seems to know what happened to them.

I had no idea this was the case. Sad news indeed.

(several years ago)

Define "several years ago." This couldn't have been that too recent because for the sake of comic fans around the world no one would allow this to happen. Someone must have been smoking the crack pipe :insane: . The OA to these stellar pieces is worth thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Edited by CarolinaComix

But at that time nobody knew they were going to be so valuable. There have been many stories told by Stan Lee and others about how they used to put OA on the floors when it rained so people wouldn't drag water into the offices. Or how Ditko uses his returned OA as cutting boards. Stuff like that.

Angelo

But at that time nobody knew they were going to be so valuable. There have been many stories told by Stan Lee and others about how they used to put OA on the floors when it rained so people wouldn't drag water into the offices. Or how Ditko uses his returned OA as cutting boards. Stuff like that.

Angelo

Crazy :screwy:

Yeah, and in addition to the use of art as floor mats, giveaways etc (it just wasn't seen as something that had intrinsic value), I've heard stories that at some companies the original art was ordered to be destroyed so that the artists could not lay claim to the characters from a legal or copyright perspective. Returning art to the artist was not a common practice until artists began to demand it (no doubt because people began to realize its value), and in fact in the 1980s Kirby (and his estate) sued Marvel to get his art returned to him.

Of course by that time, only a fraction of it was left to be returned.

I've read Kirby interviews where he said that in the early 70's when he was doing cons, he used to see his OA for sale and wondering how in the world all these people got a hold of his art. Often, they would approach him and ask Kirby to sign it. That must've been tough for him.

I don't know, I'd say it's been about 6 or 7 years ago that I first read about this. Back in the 60's Marvel didn't think of this art as valuable (also storage was a problem) and just threw it away or gave it away. Supposedly even some kids were lucky enough to have gotten some of this art.

I don't remember the source of this information now, I'll try to do some research and find out more. Maybe someone else out there knows a little more.

I don't know, I'd say it's been about 6 or 7 years ago that I first read about this. Back in the 60's Marvel didn't think of this art as valuable (also storage was a problem) and just threw it away or gave it away. Supposedly even some kids were lucky enough to have gotten some of this art.

I don't remember the source of this information now, I'll try to do some research and find out more. Maybe someone else out there knows a little more.

Bad News... :sorry: