• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Although these are technically low-grade specimens, they should give you an idea of just how stunning dark colors and earth tones can be when they haven't been exposed to light. Have you ever seen deeper blacks and blues or richer oranges and greens?

ST079-EC.jpg

ST091-EC.jpg

TOS010-EC.jpg

Although these are technically low-grade specimens, they should give you an idea of just how stunning dark colors and earth tones can be when they haven't been exposed to light. Have you ever seen deeper blacks and blues or richer oranges and greens?

ST079-EC.jpg

ST091-EC.jpg

TOS010-EC.jpg

Yes, I have, only not in fifty year old comics! Awesome books.

Bummer about the holes. :sorry:

But this still looks awesome! :headbang:

ST079-EC.jpg

These are really nice issues - inspite of the hole-punches. Wonderful covers.

Strange Tales 79 is a fantastic cover. I originally purchased this in the early 80s becuase I heard that it had a "Dr Strange" prototype (and it does). But it was the cover that tuned me on to obtaining these (at the time) forgotten little gems.

Bill

I promised to post when I got some word on if other books from the same collection I've been posting came available. A number of Tales of Suspense and Tales to Astonish came back from CGC in the 8.5 to 9.2 range. Tales to Astonish 16 came back as 9.6! I think about half the lot came back as the highest graded.

The worst page quality was off-white (just one book). All the rest were off-white to white. I guess I have a lot to learn about PQ!

If you are interested in where to get them, let me know and I'll send you the info (I don't want to get hammered by the forum police for trying to sell something in the wrong place).

ST079-EC.jpg

ST091-EC.jpg

TOS010-EC.jpg

Give me low grade like this any day!!!! :applause:

Beautiful!!!!

JIM82.jpg

I like this partly because it's not colored brown or blue but a bright orange! :cool:

AAF9.jpg

That's one of the best pre-hero Ditko covers! :headbang:

I love the Thing prototype cover on ST 94, Cant believe I sold so many of these now (did it to finance a lot of the GA titles). Only have a few left. Damn, used to have so many prototypes, Iron Man, Spiderman, Watcher, Doom, ect

Hey does anyone remember a Buyer on eBay aldzm3...his name was Albert something and he lives in Texas...if I recall he may be a doctor and may have been retired...anyway in 2003 he bought several TOS and a few other Pre-Heros but the guy spent thousands and thousands buying mostly Pre-Hero, both DC and Marvel, Atlas, EC, you name it...talked to him a few times and again, if I recall, he said at the time he had like 2 or 3 AF 15 and 2 or 3 ASM 1...from checking his sales...

I'd check his purchases almost daily and he didn't care about grade so much, anything 4.0-ish and better but there were some days where he bought 30 - 50 books...literally for a time it seemed he was the hi-bidder on every single Pre-Hero on a given day...

Just curious if anyone remembers or knew/knows the guy...funny, I looked him up just now and his last 20-30 purchases have all been knives... :o