• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

I think in so many ways an 8.0 for most of these books equates to at least a 9.0 for many other genres and book categories...even 7.0s and 7.5s are quite rare by Census standards...

Agreed, grades like those just dont pop up to frequently. Most are in the VG/F range, and most of the ones on E-Bay look questionable. I can remember backin the day when dealers tables had stacks and stacks of the pre-hero books. Those days are history sad to say. Again, great looking books!

DRX

:headbang:

There may have been stacks but they probably weren't high grade. There are definitely more out there than on the census, which I'm confident will be revealed if prices rise.

I think in so many ways an 8.0 for most of these books equates to at least a 9.0 for many other genres and book categories...even 7.0s and 7.5s are quite rare by Census standards...

Agreed, grades like those just dont pop up to frequently. Most are in the VG/F range, and most of the ones on E-Bay look questionable. I can remember backin the day when dealers tables had stacks and stacks of the pre-hero books. Those days are history sad to say. Again, great looking books!

DRX

There may have been stacks but they probably weren't high grade. There are definitely more out there than on the census, which I'm confident will be revealed if prices rise.

I remember a show in 1974 that I attended locally.....there were runs of many of the pre-heros in VF or better @ $ 5 each...which was very expensive back then. To put it into perspective....I ended up spending my paper route money on Hulk 2-6 @ $ 30 ( $ 6 each ) and VF+ copies of JIM 85 and X-MEN 1 @ $ 15 for BOTH books. Man I MISS THOSE DAYS.....but I;ll never forget that ST 89 that was there in newstand condition....the one that got away. The X-MEN 1 was purchased at a discount at the end of the show. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

DRX

I remember a show in 1974 that I attended locally.....there were runs of many of the pre-heros in VF or better @ $ 5 each...which was very expensive back then. To put it into perspective....I ended up spending my paper route money on Hulk 2-6 @ $ 30 ( $ 6 each ) and VF+ copies of JIM 85 and X-MEN 1 @ $ 15 for BOTH books. Man I MISS THOSE DAYS.....but I;ll never forget that ST 89 that was there in newstand condition....the one that got away. The X-MEN 1 was purchased at a discount at the end of the show. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I got quite a few of my pre-heros that way Jimbo.

Maybe this was the one that got away?

ST_89a.jpg

DRX

Well, we know at least cheetah has several of those...

DRX

Well, we know at least cheetah has several of those...

So what's he waiting for? Slab 'em + sell 'em I say!!!! :devil:

I don't really know what I'm waiting for. I don't really need the money so I don't really need to sell them. They are stored carefully so won't get damaged unless something terrible happens. I have debated whether I should get them pressed to take out any waviness on the top edge of the front cover. I guess those three reasons have just kept them safely in their box.

I don't really know what I'm waiting for. I don't really need the money so I don't really need to sell them. They are stored carefully so won't get damaged unless something terrible happens. I have debated whether I should get them pressed to take out any waviness on the top edge of the front cover. I guess those three reasons have just kept them safely in their box.

Of course I was just effin' around :kidaround: You have some tremendous books that would generate alot of excitement + $$$ should they ever come to market :headbang:

Here are a couple of the sweet ones.

TOS1FC.jpg

TTA9FCx2.jpg

TOS11FC.jpg

Fantastic books cheetah-man! Korvac and I love those brown covers...if your TOS 11 came in at at least 9.0 it'd be the 2nd highest graded! :headbang:

I just checked the Census on the TOS 1...it's weird, lists an 8.5 selling in 2003 but the Census lists no 8.5, with the highest graded unrestored book a 7.5... (shrug)

A 9.4 TOS 11 came flyin out of the blue in the last year (at first I thought it might have yours) and then its 2 in 8.5, 1 in 8.0 and 3 in 7.5 (one of which was the white-pager that I sent in but now resides in Korvac's box...)

Edited by trmoore54

Here are a couple of the sweet ones.

TOS11FC.jpg

Fantastic books cheetah-man! Korvac and I love those brown covers...if your TOS 11 came in at at least 9.0 it'd be the highest graded! :headbang:

The cover story is quite above par as well. The castle where SPORR is created was once owned by none other than Dr. Frankenstein himself -- and the birthplace of the original Frankenstein Monster!

I think a lot of the HG TOS came from the same collection as mine. It was a box of books held over from a small shop in Covington, KY. It closed down around 1960 and the books just got left in the box for forty or so years. The JLA 1-3 that sold for over $100k was from the same collection. I don't know which issues had multiple copies but there are multiple issues with multiple copies. I think I got most of the best copies but the Thorr issue has a 9.6 that Comic Book World still has.

I think a lot of the HG TOS came from the same collection as mine. It was a box of books held over from a small shop in Covington, KY. It closed down around 1960 and the books just got left in the box for forty or so years. The JLA 1-3 that sold for over $100k was from the same collection. I don't know which issues had multiple copies but there are multiple issues with multiple copies. I think I got most of the best copies but the Thorr issue has a 9.6 that Comic Book World still has.

why didn't you buy them all...those are sweet.