• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,027 posts in this topic

Here's my opinion...

And if there was a bit of a correction to scare some speculators out of the market, that wouldn't be that bad of a thing for long-time/long-term collectors, right? I think, that a night like that can be really good for the hobbie if it let's some people who don't normally win super-nice books to pick up some gems for their collections. In the long term it helps build their desire to add to their collections. When they flip through their books and see a 9.0+ prehero, they will most likely want more.

I think that's great point. I'm positive that that would happen to me if I lucked into a HG gem. I never swim in those waters, so it's easy to resist them currently.

Who knows what kind of trouble I could get into...?

I can tell you all about it by pm if you like! Bought one nice book and look at me now :facepalm::banana:

I think it was all a timing issue on the second part of the CLINK auction.... I've seen it happen with all of there auctions and it's a good time to buy.. obviously.

... ending 4pm Western time is too early... seeing how about 80,000,000 people are on the west side... Although at times it may seem like a hoard of people going after the books, you don't need a frenzy, all it takes are two people bidding for the same book to drive prices up.

James Haack. There's a name I also haven't heard in quite awhile. I too bought numerous HG preheroes from him, it seems, around the early or mid 90s. I remember responding to his CBG ad. They were (still are) some beauties, some of which I have slabbed out over the years.

That TTA 15 was quite a steal. I had just picked up an 8.5 from a Heritage auction recently, so I had my sights on the 17.

I also picked up the ST 87 8.0. Went for $1308. Did I over pay for this? Not sure.

Talk about picking some sweet HG's years ago. I think around 1993, a dealer friend got me into the San Diego Con dealers room the night before the opening to the public. Lo and behold, I stumble upon a fresh PH collection. I was the first to go through it. I bought all I could afford at the time. Some of these books, TTA 7 for $120.00 (graded out 9.2 highest), TTA 20 for $100.00 (graded out 9.2 highest),

TOS 15 for $35.00 (graded out 8.0), JIM 68 $35.00 ( graded out 8.5), JIM 74 $35.00 (graded out 8.5), ST 95 $35.00 (graded out 9.0). I have some others from that collection being graded by CGC, as I speak. Should be sweeeeeet!

Edited by RICK STARR

James Haack. There's a name I also haven't heard in quite awhile. I too bought numerous HG preheroes from him, it seems, around the early or mid 90s. I remember responding to his CBG ad. They were (still are) some beauties, some of which I have slabbed out over the years.

A good chunk of my "90s money" went to James for his wonderful HG pre-heros and 50s DC Sci-fi. A real nice guy! The rest went to Marnin (also a nice guy!)

TOS:

1 7.5 $2234 (2nd highest, 1 of 5, 1 in 9.0)

5 9.0 wm $2600 (sole highest)

7 9.0 cr/ow $1799 (highest, 1 of 3)

9 9.0 cr/ow $725 (sole 2nd highest, 1 in 9.2)

13 9.0 $1101 (sole 2nd highest, 2 in 9.2)

14 9.0 $3395 (2nd highest, 1 of 3, 2 in 9.2)

18 8.5 $752 (sole highest)

20 8.0 wm $1250 (2nd highest, 1 of 3, 1 higher)

21 9.0 $1350 (2nd highest, 1 of 3, 1 in 9.2)

22 9.2 $1350 (2nd highest, 1 in 9.4)

24 9.2 $2200 (sole highest)

28 9.4 $1433 (highest, 1 of 2)

31 9.0 $1365 (2nd highest 1 of 6, 1 in 9.2)

I take a glance at pre-hero sales from time to time and I thought prices were a bit mixed with some strong results (5, 14, 24), some healthy results as well as some lower than recent sales would indicate.

A good chunk of my "90s money" went to James for his wonderful HG pre-heros and 50s DC Sci-fi. A real nice guy! The rest went to Marnin (also a nice guy!)

Know 'em both.

Great guys, hope they are still around. :golfclap:

Here's my opinion...

Seems like Wednesday's prices were pretty strong, but last night's not as strong. I wouldn't read too much into one night's results... I would have bid $1500+ on the WM 9.4 if I thought I had any chance at all to win it at that. That's what a credit card is for, right? Last night's books ended earlier than the previous nights and I wasn't able to make it home in time to bid. I had written off winning any of the TOS and TTA books figuring they'd go very high like usual, but ended up winning one book with my tracking bid, and almost won a second with a tracking bid. It is very possible that other collectors assumed the prices would be astronomical and didn't make the effort to bid either, and are kicking themselves this morning...

And if there was a bit of a correction to scare some speculators out of the market, that wouldn't be that bad of a thing for long-time/long-term collectors, right? I think, that a night like that can be really good for the hobbie if it let's some people who don't normally win super-nice books to pick up some gems for their collections. In the long term it helps build their desire to add to their collections. When they flip through their books and see a 9.0+ prehero, they will most likely want more.

I think most people here agree that there seems to have been a bit of a less-than-super-tight grading period from CGC last year. It is very possible that a lot of books that normally would have gotten 8.0s came back as 8.5s and 9.0s. It is possible that a bunch of 8.0s were cracked, possibly pressed, and came back as 8.5s (and 8.5's up to 9.0s, and 9.0s up to 9.2s). That could account for a bit of a flood of the higher grades to the market, over the normal trickle of books that have been dug out of collections. Plus when people see books going for as much as 8X guide, especially with a weak economic recovery (as mentioned above), that can also lead to an increased pace of books surfacing from long term or original owner collections.

Finally, we're nearing tax time (both Q1 and FY2011)... Some of the heavy hitters may have dipped into their Tax Savings to buy some books in the January/February auctions... and could have sat last night out per the advice of their accountants.

As statisticians like to say, one point does not make a trend.

Just my 2c.

+1

Very well put. I did not manage to make any bids for two reasons:

1) Saw the way things were headed for the pre-hero books and had to hold back from many of the books I knew would hit the $1000+ range... Especially since I need to find funding for my second mid-grade AF 15 purchase recently.

AND

2) Cause I friggin passed out watching TV after dinner due to work exhaustion and missed the whole final night of auctions. Woke up late evening drooling wondering what I was supposed to be doing that night doh! Maybe it was my subconsious saving my from myself :makepoint:

Anyway congratz again to all the winners. And yes there were some great deals had.... so you are welcome I could not partake in the fun ... this time ;)

Got this in the mail today.

Best looking 6.5 I've ever seen.

Good lord that is pretty. Does it have back cover issues? I'll take that as a 6.5 any day of the week.

It has a 1" chip at the bottom of the BC. That's it. I can definitely live with it.