• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,027 posts in this topic

Here's another example of some of the changes to the art from the original pre-hero book to the 70s reprint.

Journey into mystery 65 vs Where Creatures Roam #1. Note the difference in the body position of the guy right in front of the monster, the change in the woman by the door, and the elimination of the man on the left, replaced by a couch -- as well as the orientation of the monster's head.

RAD3D7942006111_15429.jpgwcr01.jpg

I used to have a page of original Kirby art from "Bombu", JiM #60... no monster panel on the page, so I got it for $50.

Marvel pre-heroes were among the first comics I read as I kid in 1961, '62.

When will Marvel put out a serious reprint series of the pre-hero issues?

I just ordered "Marvel Visionaries: Steve Ditko" from a comic book store before learning there was a 2 month eta. But I'll wait. It's got several Amazing Fantasy stories.

Here's one of the several Marvel westerns with a monster theme:

1314332-rawhide22.jpg

Crawdad, I always liked the monster and super-villain issues of the early Silver Age Marvel Westerns.

You can probably buy the Steve Ditko Visionaries book from Amazon with no 2-week ETA.

Also, Marvel put out a Tales to Astonish Masterworks earlier this year that reprints issues 1 - 10 in their entirety. They say they have plans to do that with the other pre-hero titles, which would be fantastic if they stick to it and put them all out.

Also, the Stan Lee Visionaries book has a few pre-hero stories in it.

thumbsup2.gif

Rumor has it that TOS # 1-10 is next on the block.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

When will Marvel put out a serious reprint of the SA Westerns?

Here's another of the Marvel Western issues with a supernatural theme:

1317596-2gun68.jpg

Crawdad, I always liked the monster and super-villain issues of the early Silver Age Marvel Westerns.

thumbsup2.gif

1317596-2gun68.jpg.1480608ed5f2854fc1b983b104c66e18.jpg

Here's another example of some of the changes to the art from the original pre-hero book to the 70s reprint.

Journey into mystery 65 vs Where Creatures Roam #1. Note the difference in the body position of the guy right in front of the monster, the change in the woman by the door, and the elimination of the man on the left, replaced by a couch -- as well as the orientation of the monster's head.

RAD3D7942006111_15429.jpgwcr01.jpg

It's interesting to note the changes. You can clearly see the difference in draftmanship between Jack Kirby's reinked figures and what looks to be Marie Severin's 'new' characters.

Here's a nice Tales of Suspense I pick up off ebay about three months back. The real story though is about the packaging. The book was bagged without a board, placed into a boat made out of thick paper and taped in, then put inside a mailing envelope. It's a true wonder the book arrived unharmed as it did.

tos13.jpg

If anyone ever decides to sell a lot of Pre-Hero Marvels, please let me know. PM or send email.

Will pay good $. CGC or non-CGC. FN or better preferred, or less if book(s) look nice overall.

If anyone ever decides to sell a lot of Pre-Hero Marvels, please let me know. PM or send email.

Will pay good $. CGC or non-CGC. FN or better preferred, or less if book(s) look nice overall.

Why don't you put that exact same post in the Marketplace forum? There are "Want to buy" aka "WTB" listings there all the time. You're bound to get at least one or two interested parties. I put a "WTB Rex the Wonder Dog" thread a couple months back and picked up around 8 copies, all from the same person. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why don't you put that exact same post in the Marketplace forum?

Thanks, good advice. I scored JIM #59 since posting today on the WTB.

journey59.jpg

893censored-thumb.gif........I should've kept my mouth shut. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Congratulations, nice book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

893censored-thumb.gif........I should've kept my mouth shut. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Congratulations, nice book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks again!

I'd never seen (JIM #59) before. Really like the Kirby & Ditko collaborations like this!

Plus the price seems fair for 2006 rates, $120 (VF-).

I'm thinking over JIM #66, in solid (6.0) FN: at $225, somewhat over guide, a fair price at current market?

jim66.jpg

I also picked up JIM #74, FN+ for $65. Not too shabby! cloud9.gif

jim74.jpg

And just for grins, here's an uncommon Strange Tales cover artist, Jack Davis.

This copy of ST #71 was said to be from Stan Lee's personal files.

st71.jpg

I've finally decided to contribute to these boards, after much coaxing by October, Rhino, and Pedigreeman. So I will be posting some of my Prehero comics (that I can thank the boards for introducing me to). Enjoy.

JIM%20%2378%20VF%2B%20front.jpg

Nice books!

Looking forward to seeing you post more often! popcorn.gif