• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Am I the only one in this thread without this book? Even sunkfu has one. lol Would be nice if no one bid against me in the next auction with one.

No, you are not.

I will lay off the auctions, tho. I feed a bit closer to the bottom.

TTA #2 - the cover is pure Ditko!

Am I the only one in this thread without this book? Even sunkfu has one. lol Would be nice if no one bid against me in the next auction with one. :grin::wishluck: Nice copy Bro!

I've got a beater but need a nicer one. It doesn't come up for sale often at all, and I can't remember the last time I saw one in an auction (someone here might). I seriously overpaid for my copy off an eBay auction years ago because it was the first one I had seen come up for sale.

Am I the only one in this thread without this book? Even sunkfu has one. lol Would be nice if no one bid against me in the next auction with one. :grin::wishluck: Nice copy Bro!

I've got a beater but need a nicer one. It doesn't come up for sale often at all, and I can't remember the last time I saw one in an auction (someone here might). I seriously overpaid for my copy off an eBay auction years ago because it was the first one I had seen come up for sale.

I have seen it come up a few times this year. Always goes pretty high. Someone just sold a CGC 7.0 copy that went over 800 if i remember.

I have seen it come up a few times this year. Always goes pretty high. Someone just sold a CGC 7.0 copy that went over 800 if i remember.

Yep, it was an eBay auction and it prompted me to pull my copy out for a possible submission. In my mind it was about a 4.0 but it is likely more like a 2.5. Oh well.

Your post reminds me

Thoughts on what exactly IS a pre-hero marvel?

I take the term to mean, basically, timely/marvel monster comics. I think that's the way fandom at large has always referred to timely/marvel monster comics.

The end is pretty clear - the last pre hero marvel should pretty well be, logically, the title before the hero was introduced to the title (even if the tone of the books had already changed a little in some cases).

But when do "pre-hero marvels" begin?

Does the pre-hero marvel era of, say, Journey into Mystery begin at #1, since every issue of that title is before the introduction of the hero? I don't think so, those early issue are just straight up Atlas horror books.

So, when does it begin? To me I can't get away from Kirby. I see his start at Atlas as roughly coinciding with what I would call a pre hero marvel.

For example.

This issue of Journey into Mystery - http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=662&tbm=isch&tbnid=e-xHGyfa2cvD5M:&imgrefurl=http://marvel.wikia.com/Journey_into_Mystery_Vol_1_52&docid=Jgc2I5OFMqGwAM&imgurl=http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/2/2b/Journey_into_Mystery_Vol_1_52.jpg&w=400&h=597&ei=-oa9T7PBHOOciAKkzZDiDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=179&vpy=116&dur=1286&hovh=274&hovw=184&tx=125&ty=171&sig=116841302115339098520&page=1&tbnh=148&tbnw=99&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:70 - slap a small Thor figure on it and it could be any 60s Thor book. It has a lot in common in terms of look with what we think of as marvels.

on the other hand, issue #1 is clearly an Atlas. I'd argue issues in the late 40s (issues not years) still have that same atlas feel http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=662&tbm=isch&tbnid=AXYDW-2cQQ-vvM:&imgrefurl=http://marvel.wikia.com/File:Journey_into_Mystery_Vol_1_49.jpg&docid=MhoyWddNWJKOnM&itg=1&imgurl=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080802101036/marveldatabase/images/5/5d/Journey_into_Mystery_Vol_1_49.jpg&w=400&h=605&ei=3Ie9T7mUEueeiQKd1JiODg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=183&vpy=117&dur=2111&hovh=276&hovw=182&tx=118&ty=126&sig=116841302115339098520&page=1&tbnh=151&tbnw=107&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:68

I'd put the changeover on JIM to be sometime early in the issue 50's, Strange Tales late in the issue 60's, TOS and TTA probably around issue #5, etc.

Thoughts??? What's a pre hero marvel guys?? We've got a whole thread on them!

Well, we know that the really graphic horror stuff ended about the time of the SOTI trials and the introduction of the comics code. If prehero books don't go all the way back to this (say mid 1954 or so), then what would you call the range between say JIM 16 and JIM 48? Would those be pre-preheros? I've heard some people describe the Atlas implosion era, but I think that's right towards the tail end of that period - not the full span.

I think a lot of people argue that it is artists, but if it were style, some of the Ditko/Kirby/Lee/Heck/Ayers stuff were reinterpretations of earlier Atlas stuff:

tta11cgc75oww.jpg

ut53cgc75circle8.jpg

spellbound22cgc75whiteBethlehem.jpg