• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,036 posts in this topic

This copy is off the charts beautiful. :cloud9:

Not even close to a 5.0. :cry: However, the cover inks are NM+. :grin:

ST070-EC.jpg

Wow, some nice copies of ST 70. Zzutak knocked it out of the park. Where did that beauty come from? Here is mine from a HG prehero collection from early 90's (referred as the Oakleaf collection).

photo STRANGETALES70_zps5ec697d7.jpg

Here is the # 71 from the same collection.

photo STRANGETALES71_zps47891322.jpg

The # 72 slabbed at a 9.0, highest graded issue.

Edited by RICK STARR

Anybody looking for a nicely presenting TOS 1 4.0 White Pager there's one up for grabs in this coming Sunday's Heritage Sunday Night Auctions...April 14... :cloud9:

TOS 1 CGC 4.0 WHITE PAGES

Nice looking copy! Paging KevinJ!

lol Nice, I wish it was a TTA #1 though

Oh that's right. I forgot which one you needed. doh!

Herr Von Doom I presume.

photo TALESSUSP31_zpsd5b0ad37.jpg

I don't own this issue, so I've never read the story, but can you shed some light? I understood this book to be dated the same month as FF5 so I don't see how its a Doom prototype. I guess its possible it had an earlier job # and they recycled the concept just weeks later, but it seems iffy to me?

Herr Von Doom I presume.

photo TALESSUSP31_zpsd5b0ad37.jpg

I don't own this issue, so I've never read the story, but can you shed some light? I understood this book to be dated the same month as FF5 so I don't see how its a Doom prototype. I guess its possible it had an earlier job # and they recycled the concept just weeks later, but it seems iffy to me?

The one that always bugged me is the Human Torch prototype in Strange Tales #76. Why would a character concept that was introduced in the GA need a prototype? I realize that the SA version had a different story, but come on.

^ there are a lot of "prototypes" that are a real stretch. I've spoken to the person that supposedly first made mention of them and he's "enthusiastic" IMO.

Which is a real shame because hyping everything as a prototype detracts from the ones that truly are. There are some prototype books where you read them and you can't believe how similar the concept is to the marvel hero. And some where its just like "WTF get out here!"

Like your ST 76.

Another one in that vein that comes to mind is JIM 79. A prototype for Mr. Hyde. Really. Let me repeat that. A prototype for Mr. Hyde. A prototype for a character based on one of the best known novels ever. Give me a flippin' break. :frustrated:

My pet peeve is the "Thing" prototype in Strange Tales #95, a comic released months after FF#1. It even has a house ad for Fantastic Four, and the real Thing is pictured. I think Herr Uberstrassa has since pulled that notation.

As to Rick Starr's comment about Dr. Doom, I'm thinking he's just pointing out the similarity, not necessarily forwarding a pro-prototype agenda. (thumbs u