• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,027 posts in this topic

One final post-code Atlas group shot. :foryou:

th_Mystical05-70-C8.jpg th_Mystical06-65.jpg th_Mystical07-75-C8.jpg th_Mystical08-92.jpg th_Mystical08-65.jpg th_SSS06-85.jpg th_SSS11-75.jpg

th_SSS12-85-RC.jpg th_SSS13-85-C8.jpg th_SSS14-90-C8.jpg th_SSS15-92-C8.jpg th_STU04-65-AU.jpg th_STU08-70-C8.jpg th_STU09-85-C8.jpg

th_STU10-80-C8.jpg th_SW02-75-DA.jpg th_SW03-85.jpg th_SW05-85.jpg

th_Mystical01-EC.jpg th_Mystical02-EC.jpg th_Mystical03-EC.jpg th_Mystical04-EC.jpg th_SSS007-EC.jpg th_SSS008-EC.jpg

th_SSS009-EC.jpg th_SSS016-EC.jpg th_STU002-EC.jpg th_STU003-EC.jpg th_STU004-EC.jpg th_STU011-EC.jpg

Three of my faves (the Strange Worlds #2 came from Díck Ayers' personal collection :luhv: ):

Mystical04-EC.jpg

SW02-75-DA.jpg

SW03-85.jpg

:acclaim:

Love that SW 3....... A top 5 PH cover to me..........GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... please pardon the pimping.... since it may end up for sale.... but this is the earliest mention of a Marvel prototype in OSPG......... GOD BLESS...

101_1391.jpg

Anybody see the results from tonight's weekly Heritage auction....

JIM 31 8.0 1,673.00 .

JIM 51 8.5 2,210.75 .

Stunning results. Good for us Pre-Hero Collectors.

I find those prices very strong. I know they were both either best or 2nd best copies,

but similar cases from other prehero titles haven't garnered anything like those multiples of price relative to grade. The seller, Heritage or otherwise, should be elated with those results. To me those are both 30% or more above FMV.

Hey Rich,

FWIW, these are the other 2012 GPA price points for JIM issues in the 50s. I thought I'd look them up and see in light of your comments, but there are so few data points that it doesn't mean much. Doesn't help that most of them go thru clink which isn't on GPA.

JIM 52 8.0 $1016 (nov 2012)

JIM 54 7.5 $1411 (dec 2012)

JIM 56 8.5 $773 (oct 2012) (where was I for this one?)

Hey Rich,

FWIW, these are the other 2012 GPA price points for JIM issues in the 50s. I thought I'd look them up and see in light of your comments, but there are so few data points that it doesn't mean much. Doesn't help that most of them go thru clink which isn't on GPA.

...that's a steal on the 56. All the issues in the 50's are tough...... 54 is almost impossible without chipping. A few years ago Bob had a CGC 8.5 of 52.... one of my very favorites.... for only $ 350, and it sat there for a year. I really wish I'd gotten it. GOD BLESS...

Hey Rich,

Dan- Using your examples for comparison only supports my observation. That JIM #52 8.0 copy is the second highest graded copy and "only" sold for $1016 whereas the second highest graded JIM #51 of which there are 3 at 8.5 garnered $2200+ last night. Big difference. That JIM#54 7.5 went for crazy money IMHO, but only has 2 books higher. We've seen similar head scratching sales which tells us there's a few collectors out there for whom money is no object. Those sales are not FMV IMHO. There's tremendous inconsistency. Do you remember the relative pittance you paid for that TTA WM 9.4 within the last year or so? Is that FMV? WE WISH it was!!! And your last example speaks for itself.

There was a JIM #51 CGC 8.5 that sold on ebay for $350-400 range and then was immediately resold for $1150 or something like that (at auction, I think) a few weeks later... Seems like this was about 5 -7 years ago that that happened. Someone can probably find out specifics on that book. I think the resale was off ebay. #51 is a robot cover - crossover appeal? I like the cover on 52 too, so maybe that's not a good yard stick. 54 is tough - a half dozen total copies graded?? But #56 is pretty tough too. What venue was the #56 for sale at?

Also, if you really like them, and a half dozen or dozen books come up per year from your want list and you're saving up - say $200 a month for a book. This is how your auction schedule goes: bid, click, dang - got outbid... next time through, a few hundred bucks more ready... bid, click, dang.... then you mentally add a few hundred more to the pile each time until you finally win one. Or on the flip side, you tune out for a few auctions after 6 losing auctions in a row.

I also think another thing that contributes to sale price fluctuation on the less common books is the venue. I think that there are more than just a few collectors out there willing to pay high prices, but frequently many of them just don't tune in to some auctions, or they don't have time to do a thorough search, or don't tune back in at closing time.

I completely missed the auction yet again, I had been watching two (non JIM) books and was frustrated to have missed closing time, only to see the post closing summary that they went well beyond what I would have been willing to pay...

I know what youre saying Rich. I just think they are volatile books for the reasons you, Peter, and others have mentioned and for that reason I view the fmv on the earlier books as a range rather than a specific point. Is 2200 on the high end, yes, but I dont find it shocking. I would have expected 1200-2200. A huge range i know but thats the way i see it on these and plus we are just looking at grades on a 10 pt scale who knows what the pq and eye appeal were on these books. A strong 8.5 with white pages strong color and strong gloss? Id pay way more for a book like that than one on the other end of the spectrum