• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,036 posts in this topic

Folks tend to forget sometimes that there were several months of overlap between FF #1 and the ultimate decline of the monster books - and just wrongly assume that if a similar character appeared in a monster book, its always pre-FF#1.

Oh absolutely! Exactly right. And in fact, that overlap was more like a year and a half!

FF1 was 11/61 and TOS 38 was 2/63 so there's 15 months right there and I'm not sure if I am forgetting any later "posthero preheroes"

Of course there were still pre-hero backup stories in many books after they transitioned to heroes, so those may count too.

Twilight of the monsters - contains a fantastic Ditko story: THE MIGHTY OAK, all about a tree that becomes "alive" after an atomic bomb blast!

[

:o

Post hulk 1 hulk prototype!!!!!!! :insane:

I'll keep this thread from slipping off the front page with one of my two Clink wins from last night. I was surprised this fell to me, but I'll certainly take it.

ST86CGC.jpg

I never noticed the double 10c prices on this book before. Was this one 20 cents??

Edited by mysterio

Of the two books I won the ST went for right around what I expected (my bid was maybe $20 higher than the winning bid) and the other book I got for what I thought was a low bid (not silly low but cheaper than I would have thought). Not sure how the other pre-hero in the auction did, but there are a few lower grade (4.0-5.0) pre-hero books ending tonight or tomorrow.

I'll keep this thread from slipping off the front page with one of my two Clink wins from last night. I was surprised this fell to me, but I'll certainly take it.

ST86CGC.jpg

I never noticed the double 10c prices on this book before. Was this one 20 cents??

Aweome! :headbang:

Yeah, not too shabby (sound of jaw hitting floor)

I really hate to see you suffer like this, ever think about upgrading and passing the dregs to the less fortunate... :whistle:

I assume the WM collection contained all early Strange Tales issues. I have three from the pre-pre-hero days.

I'm doubtful that runs of JIM or ST were complete, though there were quite a few issues from each in the collection.

Can you share scans of yours? :wishluck:

adamstrange,

For some reason, I've been unable to upload images to photobucket, but trying today it finally worked. It used to just hang on the upload.

With apologies for the lateness, here is my earliest WM copy. It looks better than the grade, but it does seem to have a tear/crease on the right edge. It's near the monster's shoulder.

ST-020-70WhiteMountain.jpg