• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

TALES TO ASTONISH AND AMAZING ADVENTURES/AMAZING ADULT FANTASY…CATCHING UP…

Tales To Astonish 1-34 (Jan 1959 to Aug 1962) While I don’t have the snapshot of TTA a year and a half ago for comparative purposes, let’s take stock of the present Census comparative to the other Pre-Hero titles. As expected, TTA submitted/graded copies far exceed the JIM and ST titles, but fall a bit short of the TOS series…584 total copies or 78.3% of the TOS total. Individually, graded copies are represented as follows: 9.6 2; 9.4 12; 9.2 33; 9.0 56; 8.5 86; 8.0 118; 7.5 152 and 7.0 125.

There are only 3 issues with single digit Census numbers led by Issue 4 at 5 copies…followed by #11 at 7 copies and #5 at 9 copies. Issues 2, 6, 9 and 10 claim the next 4 spots at 10 copies. Issues 1, 3, 7 and 17 round out the Top 10 (12) at 12 copies. The only single digit issue outside the Top 10 is Issue 8 at 18 copies (a tie for 21st place). Interestingly, all 33 issues except for Issue 27 max out at 30 copies. Issue 27, as would be expected, is the most submitted book and the most HG copies at 56 copies…ranging in grades of 9.4 (2); 9.2 (1); 9.0 (6); 8.5 (6); 8.0 (11); 7.5 (18) and 7.0 (12). Issue 30 has a 9.8 and Issue 16 has a 9.6.

Amazing Adventures 1-6/Amazing Adult Fantasy 7-14 (Jan 1961 to July 1962) I’ve treated this as an entire comparative set with a total submitted/graded Census of 251 copies…so while there are a little less than half the issues of JIM and ST there is strong appreciation and submission of the title, most likely due to the fact that the AAF series is a prelude to the holy grail AF 15 and the fact that it is a relatively easier set to put together for the completist. The 251 copies represent a comparative total of 81% to JIM and 78.3% to ST. Individually, graded copies are represented as follows: 9.4 7; 9.2 7; 9.0 27; 8.5 23; 8.0 51; 7.5 56 and 7.0 80.

AA #4 leads the group as the only single digit Census member at 9 copies. Red cover #8 is next up at 10 copies. Rounding out the Top 5 are issues 3, 6 and 14 at 12 copies. Rounding out the Top 10 are issues 5 (16), 9 (17), 13 (17), 2 (20) and 10 at 23 copies. Not surprisingly, Issue #1 is 14th with the most submitted/graded copies at 30 copies.

All in all, in terms of scarcity in HG, we see ST and JIM clearly at the top (13 and 11 titles respectively with single digit representation), with the remaining 3 (or 4 if you will) titles a notch below at 3, 3 and 1 single digit representation respectively. It will be interesting in the coming year to see what other HG Pre-Heros enter the Census…which as we well know in many cases is just a matter of choice for the collector, and many a collector will remain content keeping their sweet high grade books in pristine mylars for their personal and friends’ enjoyment. In fact, we’ve seen many of these copies just recently here on the boards and in our Pre-Hero thread…many of which would surely contend for highest graded should they be chosen for submission. Happy PH collecting!

Gang, no response, no help, no one cares about the registry points ?

We are not going to get a bump in points unless I get some help. (shrug)

Fellow Pre-Hero Collectors, FYI, I just put the following into the "These Scores need fixing" thread to get a boost for Pre-Hero Marvel registry points. Wish me(us) luck !

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6839780#Post6839780

Fellow Pre-Hero collectors, we've suffered a major setback in our attempt to get more registry points.

Cheetah posted the following point against an increase...

'The registry gives low points for all mid and low grades. Points seldom match the price. I think tripling the points for 3.0 would result in a ten-fold increase for a 9.8. I think the pre-hero Marvels have been bumped three times in the last few years. I'm not saying they don't warrant more points, just that they've already seen a lot of increases and doubling or tripling them value you them in excess of other similarly valued titles.'

Gemma acknowledged his point and stated......

'Correct, there is a standard formula for the scoring, so if the score is increased for the lower grades it will affect the higher grades exponentially. I'm taking notes of all of this but will hold off to make the changes for a bit to make sure there is a general consensus.'

At this point, I'm not sure what to do other than to ask everyone to post their feelings in the 'these scores need fixin thread' Link above.

(shrug) (shrug) Edited by bomber-bob

I'll post something on the points in that thread in a bit.

As far as the census goes, I just subbed ST #10 & 34, TOS #31, and TTA #28 & 30. Of course results will be posted here for your edification and enjoyment!

Edited by mysterio

I'll post something on the points in that thread in a bit.

As far as the census goes, I just subbed ST #10 & 34, TOS #31, and two pre-hero TTAs that I need to double check numbers on. Of course results will be posted here for your edification and enjoyment!

I don't think they are looking for individual statistical examples as much as a consensus that it is okay to bump Pre-Hero. They just bumped Spawn but they won't bump us :pullhair: . Come on gang, just say something in the 'these scores need fixin' thread. DO it now!

Tom, thanks for the graphs and info. Great discussion happening here on this thread.

This is my ST 71. It's from a HG collection that I have mentioned before in this thread. I refer to as the Oakleaf PH collection. Anyway, the next issue, #72, from this collection graded out as a CGC 9.0 (highest grade). This a nice copy probably would grade out 7.5 or so due to some scuffing along top edge. Not sure if came right off the stand like this when the OO purchased it or just not ideal storage conditions over the years. My point being that what I considered the greatest PH collectionI have ever seen, other than the White Mountains, only produced this mid-grade copy.

photo STRTALES71_zps806a7ac3.jpg

Lovely copy. I never noticed that's a Jack Davis cover before.

I have really started to like these books.

Unparalleled art, epic stories, real collectibility, sense of wonder...

What's not to like? (thumbs u

Edited by KirbyJack