• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Seeing Roy's ST 89 in the for sale thread (just sold btw, the ask was 1500, unclear if any discount but a quick sale so probably not), made me think.

I find it interesting how Kirby gave his dragon-type PH monsters' faces some human aspects.

I think this had to be a conscious decision. I don't recall ever seeing dragon-like creatures such as Grogg and FFF with faces quite like that before.... typically you saw long necks and long snouts, more serpentine in the neck and perhaps sort of bird like (winged creatures after all) in the mouth.

This type of thing.

5417DragonCaCt.jpeg

as opposed to kirby's more human faces...

fffface.JPG

Now I know that in the stories (IIRC) they are aliens rather than dragons... but still... he certainly could have drawn them either way and its curious he chose to humanize them. Its a pretty drastic departure from the established conception of what a dragon's face looked like - so I presume there had to be an element of wanting to make it easier for the reader to relate to the monster. A sort of marvel version of DC's gorilla covers?

We respond to faces. Just think about how some automobiles actually have a personality when you look at the front end of the car.

Kirby was brilliant in trying to evoke a reader's response through his story telling.

He wasn't always the best at facial expressions admittedly and yet in the case of the monsters he probably realized that a monster with some humanistic expression was more menacing than just a cold faced insectoid or lizard.

That scarlett beetle wouldn't have been nearly as effective if it was just a cold, expressionless insect.

Brilliant stuff.

I agree, but what about Krang? Monstro? Titano? Those are all pretty straight ahead renditions with little humanization. Seems to me like this is something he might have started doing around 1961/1962? Can we think of any earlier examples than that?

To my way of thinking he started with doing more straight ahead big bug / big monster type stuff and didn't really start humanizing the faces (as much) until the middle of the runs. Not saying he never did it early on, but it seems to have gotten more common as he went along

I agree, but what about Krang? Monstro? Titano? Those are all pretty straight ahead renditions with little humanization. Seems to me like this is something he might have started doing around 1961/1962? Can we think of any earlier examples than that?

To my way of thinking he started with doing more straight ahead big bug / big monster type stuff and didn't really start humanizing the faces (as much) until the middle of the runs. Not saying he never did it early on, but it seems to have gotten more common as he went along

Interesting analysis...My favorite big bug head Kirby monster - with some human traits - has to be the INSECT MAN!

TOS_24.jpg

oh...and happy B-day, Marvel monster bro!

Edited by AtlasFan