• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
17 17

15,038 posts in this topic

Marvel had a colorist or two on staff and I've never heard of any of the artists being very involved with the coloring apart from Russ Heath during the Atlas years. I checked on Marie Severin but she was there for a couple years of post-code Atlas and then returned when heros were in swing so it looks like she missed the pre-hero Marvels entirely.

JIM67.jpg

One of my favorite JIM covers.

photo JIM67.jpg

This is a great cover for the following discussion...re the final artwork which is a collaboration.

Ditko or Kirby does the pencils...the "art".

They or others do the inking...most always others. Think assembly line...

Someone else presumably does the colors.

Who decides the colors...did the original artist do a colored "pencil" and they dictated the colors or was there some other formula and handled by someone else? Was Lee involved?

The colorist decides. Most of the coloring in those days was done by Stan Goldberg. He also designed the color schemes of many of the superheros we know and love. Marie Severin and George Roussos were also colorists, but Stan preceded both IIRC.

Stan is also an artist (Millie, Archie et. al.) and is still around and working.

StanGoldberg.jpg

Millie.jpg

Here's a bio from Stan's website.

photo JIM67.jpg

This is a great cover for the following discussion...re the final artwork which is a collaboration.

Who decides the colors...did the original artist do a colored "pencil" and they dictated the colors or was there some other formula and handled by someone else? Was Lee involved?

The colorist decides. Most of the coloring in those days was done by Stan Goldberg. He also designed the color schemes of many of the superheros we know and love. Marie Severin and George Roussos were also colorists, but Stan preceded both IIRC.

Stan is also an artist (Millie, Archie et. al.) and is still around and working.

StanGoldberg.jpg

Millie.jpg

Good info. And great sketch!

photo JIM67.jpg

StanGoldberg.jpg

Millie.jpg

Good info. And great sketch!

Yes, thanks for shedding some light on the subject. (thumbs u The color schemes are so important and so overlooked.

At long last here is the first batch of pics of my haul. These are all photos off my phone, so bear with them. These three are all at CGC so scans will be provided when I get them back in 3-4 weeks. I scanned my other four books this morning, but don't have time to edit/post them right now and will put them up later on.

Here is the TOS #32 from Dale. I kept this one a bit larger as it is really that pretty. The upper spine corner is the only issue, and it is a major upgrade for a copy I've had for at least 20 years.

TOS32.jpg

Just got my grade on this one, 8.0 OW-W. I'm definitely pleased!

At long last here is the first batch of pics of my haul. These are all photos off my phone, so bear with them. These three are all at CGC so scans will be provided when I get them back in 3-4 weeks. I scanned my other four books this morning, but don't have time to edit/post them right now and will put them up later on.

Here is the TOS #32 from Dale. I kept this one a bit larger as it is really that pretty. The upper spine corner is the only issue, and it is a major upgrade for a copy I've had for at least 20 years.

TOS32.jpg

Congrats, one of my favorites!! :applause:

This just arrived in the mail. Needless to say I am really happy to get a copy of this comic. :headbang:

Strange Tales #1 :cloud9::cloud9: :

Nice pickup, that's a good looking copy!

+1 Super looking book!! 2.0, what's it have, no back cover? :insane:

What's up Bro? Thanks guys! I thought the same thing about the back cover...and the seller did not post a picture of the back cover so I figured it had to be a mess. But it's all there.

a78b400021197eec19b82c94fd834049_zps8e62ff91.jpg[/img]

Book presents great for a 2.0 IMO. :cloud9::acclaim:

null_zpsddfec7b9.png[/img]

TOS32.jpg

Congrats, one of my favorites!! :applause:

VF! :o Waytago Art! One of my faves as well! :headbang:

This just arrived in the mail. Needless to say I am really happy to get a copy of this comic. :headbang:

Strange Tales #1 :cloud9::cloud9: :

Nice pickup, that's a good looking copy!

+1 Super looking book!! 2.0, what's it have, no back cover? :insane:

What's up Bro? Thanks guys! I thought the same thing about the back cover...and the seller did not post a picture of the back cover so I figured it had to be a mess. But it's all there.

a78b400021197eec19b82c94fd834049_zps8e62ff91.jpg[/img]

Book presents great for a 2.0 IMO. :cloud9::acclaim:

null_zpsddfec7b9.png[/img]

Frankie, gotta be the sharpest 2.0 ever!! A "not completely broken" Hoboken 2.0!!

Recent buys, 2 from the MoonDog PH collection.

MD copy

TTA 20 MD photo TALESASTON20MD_zps522b4c83.jpg

My other raw copy

TTA 20B photo TALESASTON20B_zpsebf24161.jpg

They are perfect bookends for this one.

photo TALESASTON20CGC_zps2ee8da49.jpg

Ain't done yet.

MD copy

TTA 23 MD photo TALESASTON13_zps6d32bde1.jpg

My other raw copy

TTA 23 photo TTA23.jpg

Again, perfect bookends for this one.