• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, bc said:

Like your style! Big fan of the Black Knight & Yellow Claw series!

-bc

Cheers - yeah I love the old atlas books and the black knight's art work is awesome - same artist as yellow claw too I believe -  Joe Maneely - very talented guy who unfortunately died tragically just before marvel really took off - BK is a cool character that I'd love to see more of in marvel comics 

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

That's another toughie, bc.

Very pretty!

Thank you very much !

Saw the highest graded copies are a trio of 7.5's. Figure they'll never see the light of day since this title is so popular across several genres. Plus (the subjective) page quality is good, so this one may stay in the Vault for a while. Got 2 raw copies (probably a 2.0 and a 3.5), but this one is much nicer.

Did you get anything from the Berk collection?

-bc

Once upon a time, I had a complete collection of Pre Hero Marvels.

I sold the nicer ones here, in a thread that I will remember for a looong time. It was the most fun I've ever had in a thread! You guys got first pick because I knew you'd appreciate them most. I later sold most of the crappy ones (the vast majority of my collection) to a local friend, and to some low-grade loving boardies.

With the possibility of a few stragglers, here is what I have left. I love each and every one of them, for various reasons.

5953f26e8bbab_IMG_08711.thumb.JPG.51223d735174da576115258bc04d3095.JPG

Edited by KirbyJack
-

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I sold the nicer ones here, in a thread that I will remember for a looong time. It was the most fun I've every had in a thread! You guys got first pick because I knew you'd appreciate them most. I later sold most of the crappy ones (the vast majority of my collection) to a local friend, and to some low-grade loving boardies.

With the possibility of a few stragglers, here is what I have left. I love each and every one of them, for various reasons.

Those are some darn good keepers (thumbsu Treat 'em kindly with some new bags & boards.

You're PHM sales thread was a blast! Gave me a chance to add more to my "boardies" PHM sub-collection.

I'm still about 11 books away from the complete PHM set in floppy format, and about 68 short in high-grade CGC versions, but still chipping away (in between my Pre-WW2 Schomburg Human Torch cover fetish). I should probably sell the 40 or 50 PHM undercopies I've accumulated along the way some time - think I got 4 sets of Amazing Adventures, 3 sets of Amazing Adult Fantasy and almost 3 sets for Strange Worlds alone.

Let's see some close ups when those have their new skins :)

-bc

4 minutes ago, bc said:

Those are some darn good keepers (thumbsu Treat 'em kindly with some new bags & boards.

You're PHM sales thread was a blast! Gave me a chance to add more to my "boardies" PHM sub-collection.

I'm still about 11 books away from the complete PHM set in floppy format, and about 68 short in high-grade CGC versions, but still chipping away (in between my Pre-WW2 Schomburg Human Torch cover fetish). I should probably sell the 40 or 50 PHM undercopies I've accumulated along the way some time - think I got 4 sets of Amazing Adventures, 3 sets of Amazing Adult Fantasy and almost 3 sets for Strange Worlds alone.

Let's see some close ups when those have their new skins :)

-bc

PLEASE let me know if you've an extra Strange Tales 60 you ever decide to part with!

Just now, bc said:

That's truly a tough issue to find in general, just got this rag:

-bc

st_60.jpg

I wouldn't throw it out of bed,that sexy beast! Very nice.That book has been in my top wants for some time now.I just looked and I missed one on the bay in April!☹

10 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I sold the nicer ones here, in a thread that I will remember for a looong time. It was the most fun I've every had in a thread! You guys got first pick because I knew you'd appreciate them most. I later sold most of the crappy ones (the vast majority of my collection) to a local friend, and to some low-grade loving boardies.

That's a great little set of keepers! :applause:

On 6/28/2017 at 6:34 PM, porcupine48 said:

I wouldn't throw it out of bed,that sexy beast! Very nice.That book has been in my top wants for some time now.I just looked and I missed one on the bay in April!☹

Why is Strange Tales #60 so hard to find. It's one of the comics I also have been looking for a long time. Weird. 

12 minutes ago, *Bronze age fan* said:

Why is Strange Tales #60 so hard to find. It's one of the comics I also have been looking for a long time. Weird. 

probably because the cover is awesome and no one wants to get rid of it lol.Plus,you know..cause we want it!!!

17 hours ago, *Bronze age fan* said:

Think it's because it is the first issue after the Atlas implosion of '57 and likely had poor distribution. From the GCD:

"This is the first issue of Strange Tales published after a publication hiatus caused by the collapse of Atlas's distributor and the subsequent restructuring known as the "Atlas Implosion". This is the last issue with stories bearing the "One of the Strangest Tales Ever Told!" logo used since 1952 on their first page. This may indicate the use of inventory pre-implosion stories."

ST59 had a cover date of July 1957, ST60's cover date was 5 months later at December 1957 (not as long as the gap between JIM 48 and JIM 49 which were 15 months apart!). World of Fantasy 8 and 9 also have a 4 month gap due to the implosion.

Even the Strange Tales from '58 (#61-66) are elusive in decent shape. Once the Kirby art starts in ST68 (April 59), you can find more copies available but high grade is still tough to find.

And yes, ST60 has a VERY cool Everett cover :cloud9:

-bc

4 hours ago, bc said:

Think it's because it is the first issue after the Atlas implosion of '57 and likely had poor distribution. From the GCD:

"This is the first issue of Strange Tales published after a publication hiatus caused by the collapse of Atlas's distributor and the subsequent restructuring known as the "Atlas Implosion". This is the last issue with stories bearing the "One of the Strangest Tales Ever Told!" logo used since 1952 on their first page. This may indicate the use of inventory pre-implosion stories."

ST59 had a cover date of July 1957, ST60's cover date was 5 months later at December 1957 (not as long as the gap between JIM 48 and JIM 49 which were 15 months apart!). World of Fantasy 8 and 9 also have a 4 month gap due to the implosion.

Even the Strange Tales from '58 (#61-66) are elusive in decent shape. Once the Kirby art starts in ST68 (April 59), you can find more copies available but high grade is still tough to find.

And yes, ST60 has a VERY cool Everett cover :cloud9:

-bc

I also need a copy of Worlds of Fantasy #9. So your theory may be correct. Makes sense that after the implosion they had smaller print runs. You might be very correct! :headbang:

9 minutes ago, *Bronze age fan* said:

I also need a copy of Worlds of Fantasy #9. So your theory may be correct. Makes sense that after the implosion they had smaller print runs. You might be very correct! :headbang:

I'll keep an eye out for ya!

My copy... something about "the Farm" and the "Why did he cry: spare me please!" that is a bit disturbing.

-bc

wof_9_cropped.jpg

Edited by bc