• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"CGC has no honor"

247 posts in this topic

I gotta say, I really like this dude's videos. He's got a great delivery.

In a what way?

He's annoying as :censored:

+ 1 especially the arm tats

:D

His arm tats were the least of his annoying qualities. As a matter of fact...it's the only thing I really cared to see more of....I was wondering what kind of tattoos he had.

I think I saw a CGC logo somewhere on his arm. :grin:

When you get your comic graded by the CGC, they guarantee nothing. You are paying for an opinion and a case. Nothing more.

For some that means a lot. For others, it means nothing. PGX is doing the same and they have a worse track record at it. That doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a bad book. I don't agree with many CGC grades. Whole threads have been started about CGC being more or less strict than in the past.

Anyone who cares about restoration should take the time to learn if they take the hobby seriously. Relying on a stranger seems very irresponsible to me.

DG

Sure, you're paying for an opinion. But to use an admittedly extreme example, I would rather receive Stephen Hawking's opinions on astrophysics than Pat Robertson.

So are you an expert at spotting restoration? Can you consistently spot very slight, professionally done restoration? How do you go about spotting restoration or things like cleaned staples if you're buying them online?

Wow, I really thought calling him ignorant to cgc pricing was the nicest way of saying he should do more research. I wasn't trying to be mean about it. It's not like I called him stupid. I watched one of his videos posted here the other day and he was talking about how cgc will increase grades on books to increase fmv fee's on walkthroughs. Also, I wasn't sending that captain america for grading, I was using it as an example.

YOUR the guy he's ranting about?!?! Wow! I feel like I just met someone famous! ;)

Why did you choose that Cap issue for your example dammit? Now we had to sit through this guys rant! Tsk tsk... You should have known better and used a raw high looking grade TWD 1!!! Obviously.

His whole commentary about someone spending $40 on a Cap 109 doesn't mean they bought a 6.0 or a 7.0 or even an 8.0. That's a huge assumption.

For all he knows, that guy could have purchased a comic from someone that didn't value it properly. He could have walked away with a 9.0 for the same price. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

So stating that the comic was hardly worth slabbing is just utter nonsense.

What a giant toolbag. I couldn't make it further than 3 minutes into it before I had to pull the chute.

The price was $40 on the book, but the only person I buy from, not counting shows, is a dealer that gives me an awesome discount. If I bought that one book, he would have probably sold it to me for around $25 but since I buy in bulk and calculate what I spend by, (amount of money spent) / (number of books), this book actually cost me $12.30 but I don't think anyone really cares.

When you get your comic graded by the CGC, they guarantee nothing. You are paying for an opinion and a case. Nothing more.

For some that means a lot. For others, it means nothing. PGX is doing the same and they have a worse track record at it. That doesn't necessarily mean you are getting a bad book. I don't agree with many CGC grades. Whole threads have been started about CGC being more or less strict than in the past.

Anyone who cares about restoration should take the time to learn if they take the hobby seriously. Relying on a stranger seems very irresponsible to me.

DG

Sure, you're paying for an opinion. But to use an admittedly extreme example, I would rather receive Stephen Hawking's opinions on astrophysics than Pat Robertson.

So are you an expert at spotting restoration? Can you consistently spot very slight, professionally done restoration? How do you go about spotting restoration or things like cleaned staples if you're buying them online?

I see both sides of the discussion quoted here. Both of you are - in my mind - right. But I have to add one thought here:

Before CGC we didn't think about cleaned staples, because the Overstreet Grading Standard specifically allowed it - still allows I think - in very high grades. In fact I think Overstreet allows staples to be replaced up to what VF - as long as they are vintage staples?

Out of all that CGC does on grading, staple issues is where CGC is far from the mainstream and these are the grades I'll cheerfully purchase (for a lot less money) In the world of raw - which is about 1000x larger than the world of "professionally graded and encapsulated", cleaned staples are a total non-issue.

and i really didnt send it to cgc, i sold it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=221216889013

Post that as a reply to his video. Half the video is ranting about how you were so stupid so slab that comic. And then he took it further, "I will probably try to claim he didn't really submit it"

You can't post links, but post the date of sale and/or the Ebay auction number to prove it.

If you don't do you mind if I do?

I would rather just leave him alone for now, you can't change the mind of guys like that. no matter how wrong they are.

True, but at least he can be wrong with more accurate information out there for people that care to look and realize he's wrong.

Hello class, please read the board for some background facts on me.

"I don't send books in to get graded."

"I do not own one PGX book."

"Again, I do not own one PGX book."

"Every graded book I own, there's not many, but every graded book I own is CGC. Period."

OK, with that outta the way, let me start my lecture on submitting books for grading and how PGX is a better way to go......

2rfskeu.jpg

Add him to the list...

Done he says he lives in Las Vegas I'm sure we have some connections that can hire a local guy on the cheap.

How cheap we talking?

You get his collection and swivel chair+ the usual rate.

Think I'd rather listen to the feedback whine in the first minute of the video for a hour than his voice for 11 minutes. I had to stop listening to rambling after 2:20...........

I barely made it past one minute before I turned this tool off.

Add him to the list...

Done he says he lives in Las Vegas I'm sure we have some connections that can hire a local guy on the cheap.

How cheap we talking?

You get his collection and swivel chair+ the usual rate.

Cool. I need to get a new chair.