• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey senses tingling on an offline direct deal

49 posts in this topic

A seller on eBay with a large amount of feedback >300 all positive had a couple of slabs that I really wanted. He had his business contact info embedded in the listings; name, address, phone number, email, etc.

So I check him out. He is on facebook, pinterest, and twitter and has been active selling in the last 90 days. I send him a direct email and we go back and forth. End up getting a great price which was just under $2K for the two slabs I wanted.

I pay him; the listings are pulled immediately and the auctions closed. He replies right back that tracking info will be coming soon......

Nearly two weeks later and several emails from me inquiring as to said tracking info which has not shown up, he responds and says he tried emailing it previously but it did not go through so finally at last, I get said tracking info.

I plug it into the site and guess what? It says attempted delivery and that if it is not picked up will be sent back to seller.

Here is the rub .... Wait for it......this is why my spidey senses went through the roof.

According to the info on that tracking number, the attempted delivery occurred nearly a week before I even paid him. Actually the date of the attempted delivery was before I had ever emailed him in the first place.

My instinct says this is a good way to keep buying time and stringing me along so to speak. I am not quite ready to pull the full red alert button yet, but wondering if anyone has had a similar situation; specifically as to where someone gave you a tracking number with similar info as described above.

Also worst case scenario if I have to open a paypal case; has anyone been through this kind of thing where it is between you and someone directly? Stupid me I just paid him directly with the slabs listed in the subject line. I did not have him invoice me. Any input appreciated. By the way to add an additional variable into this mix I am in the states and the seller is in the UK.

My guess is that this is a USPS tracking glitch with the dates and the notice was lost.

I assume you are going to show up at your post office in the morning looking for it?

My guess is that this is a USPS tracking glitch with the dates and the notice was lost.

I assume you are going to show up at your post office in the morning looking for it?

Its not USPS. The tracking is Royal Mail from the UK.

Actually I can track it via USPS too as you probably know. This particular package was delivered in a completely different state.

You made a side deal for comics that were on ebay? You are telling us you gave a complete stranger from a different country two thousand dollars on a side deal?

I'm sorry but...... :makepoint:

I hear you. Hindsight is always perfect. I definitely did my due diligence with him. He has a legit business. If this goes south I will be sure to update this thread with more specific details. At this point its too premature and would be extremely unfair and not good karma either.

So you can do a chargeback on paypal? I'd just watch the timing of it so you don't run out of time...

Exactly, you can open up a dispute, just like if you purchased it via eBay. I have 45 days from date of purchase. Was wondering if anyone out there has had to do this on a direct deal between you and some else or even if you did via eBay to share any input on that. Thanks.

Actually I can track it via USPS too as you probably know. This particular package was delivered in a completely different state.

I assume that you have by now pointed this out to him? If so, has he responded?

You're right to be wary but he could've just accidentally quoted you the tracking number from a different postal receipt. It seems a little unlikely that he would send you a tracking number of an already delivered parcel if he was scamming you as it's obvious as soon as you check it that it's not correct.

Paypal should refund you under these circumstances if it does turn out to be not legit.