• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

a 12 to 13 is well within speculator bump territory, absolute value matters too, Revival and many others had good bumps, what was the NWM bump after the boards went coocoo for coca puffs on it?

it seems a lot of books get little bumps:

WD #1 7,300

WD #2 6,100

WD #3 7,000

WD #4 8,400

WD #5 9,000

WD #6 7,800

Wish you would have chosen any book for comparison, but this one. I think this book is great, but that book sits on a throne by itself and will for a long time I think.

Edited by Fastballspecial

a 12 to 13 is well within speculator bump territory, absolute value matters too, Revival and many others had good bumps, what was the NWM bump after the boards went coocoo for coca puffs on it?

it seems a lot of books get little bumps:

WD #1 7,300

WD #2 6,100

WD #3 7,000

WD #4 8,400

WD #5 9,000

WD #6 7,800

Wish you would have chosen any book for comparison, but this one. I think this book is great, but that book sits on a throne by itself and will for a long time I think.

Just showing that, before anyone really knew about WD, it waffled. I doubt it was speculator driven.

3.) I think it likely will, but all it takes is one tv rumor and its gong show time. If it ever reached 20K sales, it'd have my attention, pass 30/35K and the book would have me sold. BUT, it still would have started its run-up off a shilled sale. Nothing will ever change my opinion on that 5 feedback-er sale. That's Pamela Anderson level fake.

All future sales of a book are now suspect because of a single auction.

You heard it here first, folks.

Disregard the fact that the book was a CGC 9.8 variant that is limited to XXX copies. It WILL impact sales of all raw copies - even standard covers - and issue #10, whenever that comes out.

I don't think that is the point of his post. (tsk)

3.) I think it likely will, but all it takes is one tv rumor and its gong show time. If it ever reached 20K sales, it'd have my attention, pass 30/35K and the book would have me sold. BUT, it still would have started its run-up off a shilled sale. Nothing will ever change my opinion on that 5 feedback-er sale. That's Pamela Anderson level fake.

Disregard the fact that the book was a CGC 9.8 variant that is limited to XXX copies. It WILL impact sales of all raw copies - even standard covers - and issue #10, whenever that comes out.

Then what is the point?

Then what is the point?

That the run up started off of a shilled sale.

Then what is the point?

The run up did not start from a shilled sale. Prior to that sale the LBCC was on a gradual upward trend. Same with the Ottley. Both books were steadily increasing prior to the shilled sale.

Then what is the point?

Which run-up?

The price or the increase in sales? Or both?

In either case, you want me to believe that people started buying a comic because the price of a 9.8 graded limited variant was $350?

And this buying includes the regular cover for #1, as well as for 2, 3, and 4?

And during this time of the "run-up", subsequent sales of this same comic never reached that level again?

So if this auction ended at $250 no one would be buying it -- either off of the shelf every month or on eBay?

hsDtzEh.jpg

MANIFEST DESTINY #7

STORY: CHRIS DINGESS

ART / COVER: MATTHEW ROBERTS & OWEN GIENI

JUNE 11

32 PAGES/FC/T+

$2.99

NEW STORY ARC! Lewis, Clark and the surviving members of their expedition continue westward, only to learn there is nowhere to run on the river...

coooooool. The colors really pop too. and the Kraken?!!?

Still not sure where the defensiveness is coming from. I applaud CBT for trying to warn others that we are still talking about a MODERN comic series here, and its silly to think anything is the "next Walking Dead" anymore because time is the only thing that really tells. And I agree that NWM was a decent example, not perfect, but good enough example to understand his point. IT'S TOO EARLY.

Still not sure where the defensiveness is coming from. I applaud CBT for trying to warn others that we are still talking about a MODERN comic series here, and its silly to think anything is the "next Walking Dead" anymore because time is the only thing that really tells. And I agree that NWM was a decent example, not perfect, but good enough example to understand his point. IT'S TOO EARLY.

A warning is fine, but his warning has turned into him being fully invested in the book's failure at this point to save face somehow.

Are there really some here who think a single shilled auction on the LBCC is a major driving force (notice I didn't say sole driving force) behind the popularity, numbers, and prices on this book?

Edited by ZaCrew

A warning is fine, but his warning has turned into him being fully invested in the book's failure at this point to save face somehow.

Are there really some here who think a single shilled auction on the LBCC is a major driving force (notice I didn't say sole driving force) behind the popularity, numbers, and prices on this book?

I had silently sneaked onboard the CBT shilled bandwagon early on, but have since jumped off the cuckoo express. Although I believed there was some shilling going on, especially with as few slabbed books as there were early on, but believe that as the supply increases, sellers will have less pricing power to shill auctions.

Edited by Conan_Aficionado