• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Pulp Magazine thread

72 posts in this topic

Anyone who just wants to talk about Pulp Magazines, this is your thread!

Say or ask anything you want, all are welcome here!

Post your favorite scans, ask your questions, ect.

Have fun! flowerred.gif

Don't know too much about the Pulps, although some of the covers I've seen in these threads were magnificent!

So I will just ask a question:

Are Doc Savage and the Shadow the only Pulp characters to cross over into the comic book genre or are there others?

Don't know too much about the Pulps, although some of the covers I've seen in these threads were magnificent!

So I will just ask a question:

Are Doc Savage and the Shadow the only Pulp characters to cross over into the comic book genre or are there others?

Jayman, there are a number of cross-overs from Pulps to Comics: Tarzan, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, G-8 and his Battle Aces, Green Hornet, Green Lama, The Spider, The Avenger,.....I'm sure there're more & I missed some, but that just a few that come to mind.

What do you all consider to be high grade for a pulp? I figure anything at VF- is outstanding. Is there any such thing as a "NM pulp?"

Pulps are graded differently from Comics. They are graded the same way a hard cover book is graded, with the top grade being Very Fine.

Here's the description given in "The Ultimate Guide to the Pulps" by Tim Cottrill:

"Very Fine: This ia a grade not very useful to much of the pulp market, though occasionally file copies or issues stored under remarkable conditions do appear.

However, magazine format issues and digests do turn up in "VF" much more often.

Pages should be offwhite or at worst very light creamy-tan. The covers should be

nearly-flawless, with only the most minor rubs, or very small color-flakes. Spine is

flat with no significant flaws. Certain rare pulps would probably be nearly unique if

existing at all in this condition, and might bring significant premiums. However, since pulp-collectors do not generally seek out this grade per se, and may only accumulate token examples for their collections, issues of average content may or may not bring much of a premium beyond that which would be received for a "Fine" copy."

Generally pulps are graded from poor to Fine. Good is the most common grade and Very Good is the standard "Collector" grade. Very Good is considered an above average grade.

Fine is considered "High Grade" with Very Fine being rare in this arena.

Brundage covers are very cool. Nice one.

You also reminded me that Conan & King Kull are Pulp cross-over into Comics.

Which pulp did Conan first appear in? Anyone have a scan, know how much it is worth or how rare it is?

Weird Tales, December 1932.

Very Good value in UGttP (Ultimate Guide to the Pulps) is $500.00

Not impossible to find just a little scarce, as are most pulps.

Which pulp did Conan first appear in? Anyone have a scan, know how much it is worth or how rare it is?

Wow, that sounds like a fairly reasonable price for a first appearance of such a well known character (especially in a pulp)!

Wow, that sounds like a fairly reasonable price for a first appearance of such a well known character (especially in a pulp)!

I agree. Was he on the cover of the issue? I will try and find a picture of it.....

Yes sir, you are correct! That's one of the reasons I began collecting Pulps.

The "Holy Grail " of Pulp Collecting ( All-Story, October 1912, The first apperance of Tarzan by E.R. Burroughs, is anywhere from $12,000.00 to $25,000.00 (?). Pretty tame compared to the price of an Action Comics # 1, and a hell of a lot more scarce! hail.gif

weirdtales1232.jpg

He's not on the cover until the May, 1934 issue. frustrated.gif

Thats too bad, I am sure his lack of a cover appearance hurts that issue's value quite a bit. Still, that cover is pretty awesome thumbsup2.gif I especially like the weird little lizard man.

Actually, the lack of a cover apperance doesn't hurt the value. It is still the first apperance of the character. The problem is that the character has more appeal in different collecting arenas. $500.00 for a VG in the Pulp world is the going rate. It just seems low to a comic collector, since a Conan # 1 (1970) in NM- is $300.00.

To a comic collector, $500.00 is a bagain. It all depends on how you percieve it.

Also, there is no accepted guide in the Pulp world like there is in the Comic world. This is because Pulp collectors fight a guide because they've seen what happened to Comic Collecting since Overstreet came out. Dealers fight it too, since they like to charge higher than going rate & buyers will pay higher if they don't know the going rate. I believe when there is an accepted guide finally, prices will go up. Good time to buy, IMHO!

Nice Marvel Science Stories! thumbsup2.gif

The November 1940, Vol. 2, # 2, has a full page, 6 panel comic featuring the Human Torch by Simon & Kirby. It's an ad for Timely's Marvel Mystery Comics. VG is $100.00, not too bad for an early Torch apperance by S&K! yay.gif